UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 10534  
Subject: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/4/2012 4:37 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I need a pair of front L/R shelf speakers, smallish (around 10" high or less), at least 100 watts. I have a center and rear surrounds, just need the front L/R speakers. Looking to spend around $100 - $150. All I can seem to find are complete 5-pc sets, but I'm probably not looking in the right places. Recommendations much appreciated.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9570 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/4/2012 4:41 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Is it possible to match your existing speakers? Usually speaker lines are produced as a timbre-matched line/series. So, for example, if you have an Infinity SM center channel, you would want to get their SM bookshelf models.

I'd make a bigger point of matching to the center than to the rears (assuming the rears are a different line/series). I have been advised (on this board) that matching the rears is nice, but not so important compared to the center and mains.

1pg

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9571 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/4/2012 4:54 PM
I have a Pioneer 5-speaker surround system that I bought as a set, but the front speakers are blown. You mean I can't just replace them with any brand or model?

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9572 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/4/2012 5:08 PM
Sure you can. You could put any old pair up front, and as long as they are rated for the power of your amp then they should work.

If you have the choice, you would want to go for something from the same line, however. Those should be timbre-matched and would give you a little better sound. You may or may not care, of course. (Michael probably would, I probably would, neither of our wives would :-).)

There are probably two simple options for you. One is you could call Pioneer and order replacement parts for the speakers. Depending on what exactly has blown it should be easy to replace (I replaced the tweeters in my mains a few years ago when one of them blew). That would probably be your best option, really. Likely it would cost less than a whole new speaker, and it should be compatible with what you already have. If you don't like that idea, you could go buy another pair of Pioneers. They will likely be a closer match to your existing system than a different brand. Maybe a pair like this: http://www.buy.com/prod/pioneer-sp-bs41-lr-130-w-rms-speaker...

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9573 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/4/2012 7:22 PM
I agree with what 1PG said: replace the broken speaker part or replace the unit entirely (depends on how the speaker unit is accessible to its innards – some are hot glued together and only accessible from the front and replacing a transducer can be somewhat hairy).

If the wallet can stand it I’d get the speakers 1PG recommended even if they are a tad larger than your ten inch spec. What I’d add is they can handle 130w and not susceptible to a transient high that may have blown your present speaker.

As for timbre matching I believe that’s really important in pairs of speakers. If you have a good center it can stand alone but l/r speakers must match. Same with surrounds and presence speakers. With that done, having for example Dolby 5.1, steering is more seamless. That’s what you want: sound that circles rather than is evident from one locale.

MichaelR

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9574 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/4/2012 7:56 PM
Michael,

One thing I'm wondering about...if both speakers "blew", what does that mean? I find it difficult to imagine that both actually were damaged. When my tweeter blew I could hear the difference (the other cones all worked, in both speakers). I quickly figured out which speaker, and then which cone.

If BOTH are dead, as his post implied, could that be something in the amp? In which case new speakers won't help him.

1poorguy

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9575 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/4/2012 9:25 PM
Michael,

One thing I'm wondering about...if both speakers "blew", what does that mean? I find it difficult to imagine that both actually were damaged. When my tweeter blew I could hear the difference (the other cones all worked, in both speakers). I quickly figured out which speaker, and then which cone.

If BOTH are dead, as his post implied, could that be something in the amp? In which case new speakers won't help him.

1poorguy

It’s usually heat that screws a speaker especially high frequency speakers – that’s why many are ferro cooled. I don’t think halco’s are temperature controlled so they could have heated and then any high transient could have fused the coil.

It could be the amp yet if both l/r having been heated then both would fuse. That’s the main problem I have with small bookshelf speakers: they are called to give volume yet many can only handle relatively low volumes before overheating.

I liked your recommendation for a replacement speaker.

MichaelR

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9586 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/6/2012 8:16 AM
Holy cow! Check out the deal I found on the speakers 1PG recommended:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16882117...

Delivered for $105. That's a helluva deal. Get them Mon or Tues. Just have to put another couple phone books under my tv to raise it up a couple more inches so they'll fit in front of it.

Thanks 1PG!

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9587 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/6/2012 12:59 PM
Happy to have been useful.

Let us know how you like them.

Note the low-end cut-off is about 55 Hz, so you'll want to make sure your sub is picking up everything below that. I assume you can set the cross-over on your unit.

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/get-good-bass/setting-the-...

I'd probably start yours at about 80 Hz, and tweak if you think it helps. Maybe 75 Hz. You want a little overlap so it blends.

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9588 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/6/2012 1:21 PM
As I've written about here before, I can't use my sub anymore. It disturbs my neighbors. So instead of a 5.1 setup, I have 5.0 setup.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9589 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/6/2012 1:47 PM
I can't use my sub anymore. It disturbs my neighbors.

Apartment? Can you turn the sub level down a bit? You're not trying to shake the building, just get the sound. :-)

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9590 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/6/2012 3:13 PM
Yeah, I've thought about trying a combination of things suggested here - raising it off the floor a few feet by setting on a box or something, puting a blanket under the box and another under the subwoofer, and lowering the volume on it considerably, so at least I could get some bass. I may try that after I get my speakers. Thanks.

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9591 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/6/2012 4:45 PM
Crimeny. I've been reading reviews about these speakers. Did you just pick these by their specs and price, or were you aware of their reputation? They apparently caused something of a stir when they first came out. They were designed by some guy who is very famous, who usually designed much higher-end speakers and wanted to create something exceptional in a bookcase design at a much lower price point. In a review on Stereophile.com they do all kinds of technical tests and measurements and close the review with this line:

The measured performance of Pioneer's SP-BS41-LR would not be out of place in a $1000/pair speaker, let alone one costing just $150/pair. Color me impressed.

And I paid a third of that! Can't wait till Monday!

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9592 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/6/2012 8:14 PM
Following up on 1PG’s recommendation of the speaker – having not heard them but have heard of them – I found the specs on them most interesting.

Plus, and this is not often seen on inexpensive speakers, are binding posts rather than mechanical clips. A small point? Not really. It shows the designer’s desire to match externally what he knows is good internally. Sure, the cost could have been lowered by using clips but they wouldn’t be as effective or reflect how good the guts are.

One more plus: the internal crossover. Some bookshelf speakers run a simple filter separating the tweeter from the midrange. This one has a more complex system. Will you hear the difference? You will. The highs will be brighter and the low range clearer.

One last: these speakers will bring out qualities in the amp you didn’t hear with the previous speakers. Betha a dollar on that.

A full review of them will be expected.

MichaelR

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9604 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/12/2012 5:53 AM
Recommendations: 2
Well, if one is going to have a surround-system w/o a subwoofer and be using bookshelf speakers, these are the bookshelf speakers to have. I noticed the bass right away; not overpowering, so I'm not worried about my neighbors, but it's there, alright. The first thing I watched was the Denver/Pittsburg game and even the silly sound effects they do for the graphics sounded way cool and the crowd noise filled the room. (After running Audyssey I always end up raising the level on the center speaker a few notches. That way I can be sure to hear the dialogue during noisy action flicks, as well as the commentary in sporting events.) This wknd I'm going to have a musical mini-marathon - Hairspray, Footloose, and Chicago. That should be awesomely awesome!

I see what you mean about the binding posts, Michael, those really do say "quality". These speakers are big and heavy, and they're rounded at the sides rather than flat. They look cool and sound fantastic. My old pair getting blown out was a blessing in disguise. I cannot believe I paid $105 for these babies. They are the perfect compliment to my new Onkyo amp and LG lcd tv. Thanks again for the recommedation, 1PG!

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9605 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/12/2012 3:15 PM
These speakers are big and heavy, and they're rounded at the sides rather than flat. They look cool and sound fantastic. My old pair getting blown out was a blessing in disguise. I cannot believe I paid $105 for these babies. They are the perfect compliment to my new Onkyo amp and LG lcd TV. Thanks again for the recommendation, 1PG!

halco

A favor from you, halco. Can you remind which Onkyo A/V you have? I do remember we looked at several good amps but I can’t remember the model you chose.

Reason being is RM is re-building her system and is truly searching for ‘best bang for the buck’ She chose a super center and now needs a good amp to drive it that doesn’t bust the budget.

And yes, 1pg, knows good speakers.

MichaelR

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9606 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/12/2012 4:30 PM
A favor from you, halco. Can you remind which Onkyo A/V you have?

I can help you with that I already did a search which wasn't by using the really bad excuse for a search engine here. I did it the hard way, threaded view, collapse all and then page backwards.

He got the Onkyo 607 for $265 (I think he stuck a freakin' in there) at some discount site. I think it was refurbished with a warranty. Sounded like a great deal to me.

RM :-)

PS - Accessories 4 less I think...

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9607 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/12/2012 5:45 PM
He got the Onkyo 607 for $265 (I think he stuck a freakin' in there) at some discount site. I think it was refurbished with a warranty. Sounded like a great deal to me.

Actually it was the 608, which has a cooling fan, unlike the 607. And yeah, a factory refurb, one-yr warranty. Great deal, indeed. Lotta bang for the buck.

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9608 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/12/2012 6:34 PM
My bad. Memory must be going. :-)

How did you like dealing with accessories4less? Any problems? I see they've got quite a few Onkyos. I'm hoping it's just because they got a deal with their refurbishment factory and not a problem with Onkyos in themselves.

I still use an Onkyo for my stereo, it's got to be 30 years old now and still going great.

RM

Author: halco Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9609 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/12/2012 7:00 PM
No problems with them. Fast shipping. They have a very good reputation on the AVS forums and those guys really know their stuff.

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9610 of 10534
Subject: Re: Front Speakers Recommendation Date: 9/12/2012 7:14 PM
Yup, it was the Onkyo TX-SR607.

Most if not all refurbished electronics are those damaged in transit and have cosmetic damage that can be repaired relatively easy. Units are repackaged and, since they are not technically new, are sold through various outlets not necessarily authorized dealers.

Used is another market. Used are usually trade-ins and the unit essentially is sold as is. That’s why buying is a problem. Some high-end stores sell used (some people change stuff at the same rate their underwear) but most used are also high priced so it’s a bargain from one perspective but still high priced.

Refurbished works best if you know the seller and that the seller has a return policy. Amazon fits that as does a local store that handles refurbished units – although they may not stock refurbished because the profit on them is less. Some, however, do have used (depends on the store).

MichaelR

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (21) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement