UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1976901  
Subject: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 9:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 8
Frum attributes Republican Presidential Nominee Mitt Romney‘s failure to his disastrous disconnection from the needs of middle-class voters. “The typical middle-class voter has some credit card debt and a mortgage on their home and will depend heavily on social security and medicare in their retirement,” Frum said. “A voter like this looks to the Republican Party and asks ‘What, if I vote for you, do you give me?’ and the answer had better not be ‘a kick in the head.’”

Frum believes that Mitt Romney’s plan for government cutbacks could have worked only if those cutbacks would have affected the upper-class as much as they would have affected those who depend on government assistance. “[The Republican] offer in 2012 was ‘we have large, immediate cuts in social programs, we have a withdrawal of a medicare guarantee for everyone under the age of 55, and we have a huge tax cut for the richest people in society,” Frum said. “When you look at all those things, it’s amazing that the GOP did as well as it did.”

http://blog.georgetownvoice.com/2013/02/20/david-frum-on-mod...

Will probably just pi$$ off the true believers. Like a car full of good ole boys on a Saturday night, bouncing across a pasture at midnight on their way to the river... the guy in the backseat who cautions "Maybe we should turn the lights on and slow down"... is usually ridiculed.

Of course, the true believers may respond "You're right! It's a good analogy! We're the ones crying "Slow down and turn on the headlights", and the Democrats are the ones bouncing their way toward the cliff with beers in their hands...."

And to a certain extent, they'd be right too.

In this land of the blind, I'd love to see a leader.... even if he had only one eye.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861308 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 9:58 AM
Recommendations: 0
Bill, maybe it's time to put the keyboard down for a bit.

You're sounding positively schizophrenic.

Ken

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861309 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 10:07 AM
In this land of the blind, I'd love to see a leader.... even if he had only one eye

In the version of the story I read, the one-eyed man was judged insane, with the cause being malignant growth (eye), which wound up being removed.

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861312 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 10:17 AM
Funny how many Democrats are giving advice to the Republicans...especially the Frums of the world who made a living losing to Republicans.

Did Demcorats listen to Republicans after the 1994, 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2010 elections about how to reach out to the voters they lost? Of course not.

Plus the death of the GOP is highly understated (as was the Democrats in the years I mentinoed). The GOP still has more Governors than the Democrats do, more House Seats and control more State Legislatures.

Democrats giving the advice are basically saying, be more like us and you'll win. Yet, when Republicans run as Democrat-lite they tend to lose. (McCain, Romney, Dole etc).

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861314 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 10:20 AM
Recommendations: 1
Funny how many Democrats are giving advice to the Republicans...especially the Frums of the world who made a living losing to Republicans.

That's funny.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861362 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 12:08 PM
Recommendations: 32
Funny how many Democrats are giving advice to the Republicans...especially the Frums of the world who made a living losing to Republicans

Just when you think you read the stupidest thing a PA rightie could say you get "holie molie!" stupidity.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861364 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 12:14 PM
The voters voted. They voted for Julia-like cradle to grave government handouts. They voted for an administration that

*Has run up more debt that any other in history
*Is the most untransparant ever
*Has presided over the worst economic recovery in the last 100 years
*Has raised crony capitalism to an art form
*Has passed legislation that directly touches every American's life and not in good ways

...and on and on. None of that has to do with the GOP. If winning elections means turning the GOP into democrat-lite, what the hell's the point?

At any rate, isn't Frum the doof that helped start the No Labels thing?

Author: lowstudent Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861367 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 12:23 PM
The voters voted. They voted for Julia-like cradle to grave government handouts. They voted for an administration that

No they voted against a man that killed his employees

They voted against a man that the speaker of the house proclaimed he would prove was a tax cheat

They voted against a man that the unbiased arbiter at a debate pointed out was lying about the President's position

Well they did not all vote against that guy, many stayed home

The people voted for a compromiser who was simply not getting a fair shake by Republicans as much as he was trying to compromise.

The people did not vote for Barrack Obama, they voted for a scenario that the uniformed were presented

It is way too easy to misinterpret this election by ignoring Obama was lying about almost everything and the stuff he was honest about like Julia were so far n the background as to have zero impact.

Author: FoolishWaldo Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861387 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 1:07 PM
They voted against a man that the speaker of the house proclaimed he would prove was a tax cheat.

Really?

John Boehner proclaim he could prove Romney was a tax cheat?

PA daily becomes more theater of the absurd.

Author: kenm47 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861397 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 1:38 PM
"...and on and on. None of that has to do with the GOP. If winning elections means turning the GOP into democrat-lite, what the hell's the point?"

Please continue with that reasoning. Pleases me to think I'll never see another Republican President in my lifetime.

Ken

Author: cjb44 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861398 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 1:39 PM
they voted for a scenario that the uniformed were presented

Correction, Obama voters are not uninformed...they are misinformed. They believe the information that they get from the regime. Snake oil salesmen around the world look up to Obama in awe for all his fraud.

Author: jerryab Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861426 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 3:44 PM
They believe the information that they get from the regime. Snake oil salesmen around the world look up to Obama in awe for all his fraud.

I'd say you got hit by a Curveball.

Author: Vetiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861448 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 6:03 PM
Recommendations: 8
The republican party has been schizophrenic for a while:

Isolationists (Pat Buchanan) v. Neocons (Cheney)
Libertarians (Ron Paul) v. Theocrats (Hucklebee)
Inclusive ( W, McCain, Rick Perry) v. nativists (Santorum, Romney)

However, as I have written the dichotomies here, the republican party has moved steadily to the right even as the nation has been moving left. Further, the republican party has some significant outside influences:

Science v. the Koch Brothers (no such thing as global warming)
Balanced budget v. Grover Norquist (can't go back to the Clinton year tax rates and Clinton year surpluses)

As many have pointed out, the global warming debate is much like the debate over whether cigarettes cause cancer, if it is in your financial interest to believe otherwise, the science be damned. Similarly, rather than going back to the Clinton tax rates, we need to double down on W's tax cuts because they worked so well :(

So000... we have 5 measurable parameters where the republican party has moved opposite the nation and seemingly opposite common sense. Giving up on the nativists' "you're not one of us" meme will certainly help with both minorities and younger voters as a group. At this point the republican positions here are creating a generation of folk that will not even consider voting republican. However, even abandoning their nativists' positions, they have 4 more things to let go of: wanting another war, adopting a national religion, this opposition to basic science, and refusing to pay for spending they already approved.

V.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861453 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 6:17 PM
Please continue with that reasoning. Pleases me to think I'll never see another Republican President in my lifetime.

If the GOP doesn't morph into democrat idiocy part deux, then it's worth losing elections. You people are a riot; you're so caught up in "My team is better" you probably believe we don't have a spending problem.

You're going to get exactly what you deserve.

Author: determinedmom Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861531 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 11:17 PM
Recommendations: 3

Did Demcorats listen to Republicans after the 1994, 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2010 elections about how to reach out to the voters they lost? Of course not.

Plus the death of the GOP is highly understated (as was the Democrats in the years I mentinoed). The GOP still has more Governors than the Democrats do, more House Seats and control more State Legislatures.

Democrats giving the advice are basically saying, be more like us and you'll win. Yet, when Republicans run as Democrat-lite they tend to lose. (McCain, Romney, Dole etc).

Just in case you missed it....Frum is a Republican. He was a Bush speechwriter.....

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861532 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/21/2013 11:24 PM
Plus the death of the GOP is highly understated

I don't think that means what you think it means.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861542 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/22/2013 12:38 AM
Just in case you missed it....Frum is a Republican. He was a Bush speechwriter.....

about one notch less Shrill than K Rove

but since then GOP has gone so far into
the weeds they think Bush was liberal

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861552 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/22/2013 3:21 AM
And to a certain extent, they'd be right too.

In this land of the blind, I'd love to see a leader....

i can't even imagine what a leader would look like in this climate ...

given the depth of 'partisanship' and power of back-channel media and something of an over-arching hopelessness...

..... and the word has made me a little nervous ever since i learned the German for 'leader' is 'Fuhrer'

Author: LEDfan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861601 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/22/2013 10:43 AM
modernizing the Republican Party is an oxymoron in the third degree! can't happen. won't happen. would be nice if it did, but won't.

Author: LEDfan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861605 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/22/2013 10:51 AM

I can. The current Elizebeh Warren.

Author: Stonewashed Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861606 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/22/2013 10:51 AM

She's a show horse.

Author: 0x6a74 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1861691 of 1976901
Subject: Re: Frum on Modernizing Republican Party Date: 2/22/2013 3:43 PM

-------

you think she could somehow reconcile the Limbaugh wing and the Maddow wing?

while inspiring the hopeless middle?

may be ..... but even here on PA ,folks stilll yapping about claims to be Native Amrican

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (22) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement