Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121150  
Subject: FSA - Medical Date: 9/5/2000 4:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Is there any income limitations (individual or joint) for contributing to a flexible spending account that is used to reimburse medical expenses?

..IF
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DowDanny Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39566 of 121150
Subject: Re: FSA - Medical Date: 9/5/2000 5:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Is there any income limitations (individual or joint) for contributing to a flexible spending account that is used to reimburse medical expens

We are limited to $2000/yr in our FSA.

I called HR Dept to inquire and they said that the limit reflects IRS rules, not our own (employer's) limits.

So I think that limit would apply to you as well.

- D

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39567 of 121150
Subject: Re: FSA - Medical Date: 9/5/2000 5:22 PM

I called HR Dept to inquire and they said that the limit reflects IRS rules, not our own (employer's) limits.

So I think that limit would apply to you as well.

DowDanny, this is good information to know, but it did not answer my question.

I am asking if there is any income limitions for being able to contribute to a FSA. The IRS has limitations on other pre- or post-tax contributions such as IRAs, 401k, and various tax credits. I don't want to contribute to a FSA to later find out that my income was to high.

Thanks.

..IF

Author: EGUSC Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39572 of 121150
Subject: Re: FSA - Medical Date: 9/5/2000 6:52 PM
I believe the $2,000 limit is your employer's limit. The only limits for plans that i am aware of are for dependant care assistance.

Highly compensated participant can be limited for 125 cafeteria plans. I think the limitation is based on the level of contribution by non key employees. But, I think you have nothing to lose by participating in the plan. The money will just be added back to your taxable income. NOTE i am not sure about this info, but you should do more research. It my experience that the average HR dept is useless with complex plans. They will use an outside service. Hopefully you can get a number and call someone that specializes in FSA.

If the Fool has a FAQ on cafeteria plan I would read it thoroughly. They are the best benefit i know of.

Good luck,

Eg

Author: TMFTaxes Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39587 of 121150
Subject: Re: FSA - Medical Date: 9/5/2000 8:22 PM
Recommendations: 1
<<I am asking if there is any income limitions for being able to contribute to a FSA. The IRS has limitations on other pre- or post-tax contributions such as IRAs, 401k, and various tax credits. I don't want to contribute to a FSA to later find out that my income was to high.>>

As EG pointed out, the only limitation is the $5,000 for child care assistance. Other than that, the total amount of any FSA contributions are left up to the employer based upon the written plan. They can vary from employer to employer.

TMF Pixy might know more right off of the top of his head regarding cafeteria plans and FSAs. You might want to check him out.

TMF Taxes
Roy

Author: Bob78164 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 39588 of 121150
Subject: Re: FSA - Medical Date: 9/5/2000 8:23 PM
DowDanny writes (in part):

I reply:

Hmmmm. If we're talking about a section 125 plan, my limit is $100 per paycheck, which in my case is $2400. We're a law firm and we have a tax department, so I assume that we got it right, so you might want to press your HR folks for chapter and verse. --Bob

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement