Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Sadiekillmouski Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 21259  
Subject: Fudge Date: 12/23/2012 11:39 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
So, this year, in a fit of madness, I ordered 1/2 pound of butter fudge from Norm Thompson. Think toffee taste, fudge consistency. Gone in two days. This is serious crack candy. Anyway, googled for recipe for "Brown Butter Fudge". Seemed straightforward enough...but, what I have is caramel. Possibly one of the world's best caramels, due in large part to the use of vanilla paste as opposed to extract, but not fudge. Question being, did I over or undercook? Candy thermometer read "Soft Ball" stage, but, well, not fudge by any stretch. Opinions? Address for safe house to hold Norm's butter fudge if I order it next year to keep it from my gaping mouth?

Sadie Killmouski
Flumoxxed
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21228 of 21259
Subject: Re: Fudge Date: 12/24/2012 12:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
So, this year, in a fit of madness, I ordered 1/2 pound of butter fudge from Norm Thompson. Think toffee taste, fudge consistency. Gone in two days. This is serious crack candy. Anyway, googled for recipe for "Brown Butter Fudge". Seemed straightforward enough...but, what I have is caramel. Possibly one of the world's best caramels, due in large part to the use of vanilla paste as opposed to extract, but not fudge. Question being, did I over or undercook? Candy thermometer read "Soft Ball" stage, but, well, not fudge by any stretch. Opinions? Address for safe house to hold Norm's butter fudge if I order it next year to keep it from my gaping mouth?

Soft ball is correct for fudge.

After you cook fudge, then you have to beat air into it until it's cooled. It takes a long, long, long time, a lot of beating by hand with a heavy spoon (wooden preferable) and it has to be beaten until the sheen leaves it.

Did you do that?

MOI

Author: RocketsMomma Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21229 of 21259
Subject: Re: Fudge Date: 12/24/2012 9:42 AM
The one time I tried fudge from scratch, many, many years ago I also had a nice semi-solid result. The beating part does not sound familiar, so it was probably my mistake, too.

RM

Author: Sadiekillmouski Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21230 of 21259
Subject: Re: Fudge Date: 12/24/2012 10:54 AM
It has to be beaten until the sheen leaves it

Ah, there you go. Didn't beat it anywhere near long enough. So, I'll just take the pan of caramel goo along (too solid to pour into a jar, not solid enough to slice) and people can drizzle it onto ice cream or just (most likely scenario) eat it out of the pan. Will attempt again for New Years. Be prepared for further questions.

Thanks,
Sadie Killmouski

Author: Myownigloo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 21231 of 21259
Subject: Re: Fudge Date: 12/24/2012 8:02 PM
Recommendations: 1
Here's a good step-by-step of the procedure. Note not to stir while it's on the stove heating up to the soft ball stage; allow to cool to 110 before beating:

http://www.bhg.com/recipes/desserts/candy/how-to-make-fudge/...

MOI

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement