UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: RetiredVermonter Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1491  
Subject: Re: Parents Nearing Retirement Date: 8/3/2006 7:17 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
FuelEd:

I'm trying to convince them to work full time until 66, maybe even 70, and then even consider a part-time job.

Why?

You say:

Both are 63 right now and would retire tmw if they could. No hobbies other than watching tv, and honestly not many friends they hang with. Prefer to stay home, watch tv, go out to dinner.

From what you say, they lead relatively laid-back lives. If they want to retire, why not do it now? We did at 62 and we love it! I admit that we do have some family and some friends and we're active in our church, and we also enjoy a couple of hobbies, but otherwise we tend to lead a life that sounds a lot like theirs. We're happy as heck and have been for several years.

Sounds like a recipe for a very short post-retirement life.

Again, why do you say that?

The only danger signal I really see is the fact that they now make $80K a year, but so did we before we retired. Now we live happily on our $30K SS plus occasional extra from my IRA (we save hers as emergency backup) for big extra things like occasional trips or paying the whole coming year's oil in advance to save money next winter.

Happiness is what people make it. There is no formula. Some want to be very "active", and that's great -- for them. Others are very happy just being together, maybe enjoying the scenery, watching some TV, dining out, and otherwise just plain enjoying a quiet life. It need not be a recipe for disaster.

Don't push them to "work" if they don't want to. We enjoyed our careers but we LOVE being free as birds now.

Vermonter
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement