Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 19025  
Subject: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/3/2012 8:53 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Can you stay retired in The Great Recession. I'm having fun, but it continues to be a challenge.

What You Can Expect when You Retire

http://voices.yahoo.com/what-expect-retire-11184724.html

Something I did expect when we retired, almost 12years for me now. I retired at 45. A lot of changes though.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17644 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/3/2012 2:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Yep, that link has some excellent suggestions. Thanks for sharing.

There are those who say you cannot trust your financial plan (or its robustness) until you have been through one of these down turns and survived. After one of those it gets easier.

All those discussions of burn rates, for example, in so many words express the concern. Your retirement is based on a financial model using the best data available. Is it real world? Is it correct? Did you think of everything? People worry about it.

You can't know until its been tested by the real world.

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17645 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/4/2012 1:12 PM
Amen!

Author: GringoFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17646 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/4/2012 2:16 PM
Recommendations: 6
... it's called the Retired Person Symptom. It happens because our minds are designed to be busy and active. Having a pattern of working for many years, some of us don't know what to do with a lot of spare time. He told me to find a passion to become involved in.

I took up napping.

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17647 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/4/2012 5:41 PM
I took up napping.

I took up walking, website development, $erious photography, gardening (weeding)...there must be more but it escapes my mind...another thing I've taken up LOL

Birgit

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17648 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/4/2012 8:37 PM
Recommendations: 2
I took up napping.

I took up walking, website development, $erious photography, gardening (weeding)...there must be more but it escapes my mind...another thing I've taken up LOL

Birgit

It’s been almost four months since I closed the boating business and, only recently, have not woken with thoughts on payroll, supplier payments, et al. Part of me knows the business is over but another part worries there’s no income and this coming Friday I have to pay out close to eight grand in payroll, unemployment, retirement, worker’s comp, and on and on.

Okay, I’m getting over it but I have lost 30 lbs. since December. I miss my staff. I miss the day-to-day stuff of talking with customers. I miss just going there each morning. Now, retired, I can sleep in, do anything I want, yet to date haven’t found what that is.

I know I shall but in the interim I have bouts of feeling utterly useless interrupted by chores having no meaning. There’s no huge satisfaction taking out the garbage.

MichaelR

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17649 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/4/2012 11:14 PM
Recommendations: 4
I miss my staff. I miss the day-to-day stuff of talking with customers. I miss just going there each morning. Now, retired, I can sleep in, do anything I want, yet to date haven’t found what that is.

I know I shall but in the interim I have bouts of feeling utterly useless interrupted by chores having no meaning. There’s no huge satisfaction taking out the garbage.

I know from enjoying many of your thoughts how different we are in psyche. I said my goodbyes at a job I loved where I was highly respected 15 years ago at 48 and haven't missed it a moment. As I said at my retirement reception, "I'm not running away from, I'm running to."

Just today, as I was recovering from my 16 hour day yesterday working at a polling place, I looked around the house and said, "I really need to get busy on my post-retirement 'to do' list." It's pretty much intact.

I suspect I had time to deal with these things when I was still working, but always found something more interesting to occupy the time I had. Like blowing dust bunnies across the floor.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: MichaelRead Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17650 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/5/2012 12:38 AM
Recommendations: 1
Phil, do you remember when JaBoa bought a $25,000 harpsichord and how some thought it exorbitant? They thought that not only because they couldn’t justify the cost but also because they didn’t have the same feeling about it as he did. My feelings are I have yet to reach a point where I can ‘buy’ a direction.

I haven’t latched onto retirement as some have. Possibly it’s only a matter of time before I do. That I understand. Hard to cross over is this interval. Others have and I respect that yet I am finding difficulty in doing so. Not a ‘poor me’ thingy but an at-a-loss thingy.

My younger brother, 30 years in the military, segued into retirement with nary a blip. I am envious of that. My younger sister, the same. I am the outlier. But, then again, of all the siblings I was the one who began businesses and ran them for more than 50 years.

I think I have to find something where I feel I am contributing something. So that’s my quest these days. Only a matter of time. Of which I have far too much.

MichaelR

Author: Donna405 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17651 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/5/2012 1:11 AM
Michael, you would be a prime candidate to join SCORE as a mentor to someone who wishes to start a business. It would be mentally stimulating and you would be serving a great purpose.

I "retired" 10 years ago. Actually, I started working part-time through my corporation almost 10 years ago, allowing me more time to spend with friends and to travel. Since the real estate business is kinda-sorta still at a bust (I am a real estate paralegal for various attorneys), my business income has suffered greatly. However, with the weddings for which I officiate, various other notary duties, along with helping the attorneys with their escrow accounts and infrequent closings, I stay busy. At least, I now have time to travel if I wish.

The wonderful thing about having more time is visiting family members out of time and spending more time with friends.

Now, like Phil, if I could just take care of those dust bunnies.

Donna

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17652 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/5/2012 1:56 AM
I think I have to find something where I feel I am contributing something. So that’s my quest these days.

I suspect you'll get there, and it will be worth the wait. Best of luck in your journey.

Phil

Author: Bobcatkitty Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17653 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/5/2012 8:25 AM
We took care of those dust bunnies yesterday! Merry Maids is now a bi-weekly occurence at our house. 3 ladies took 3 hours and the whole house is clean at the same time.

We have been retired since my DH was 51 and that was 16 years ago. He has never looked back, never sighed and thought "I should have kept working".

We moved to Florida into a house on the water, built a new one on a golf course, sailed a 36' Catalina around Florida, full-timed in a motor home to see this wondrous country of ours and finally settled down a few years ago and became willing to let our lives take a little rest.

Today, it's 5 week winter trips, a few summer trips tossed in for good measure and to simply allow ourselves the freedom of doing what we want when we want.

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17654 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/5/2012 5:57 PM
Recommendations: 3
We have been retired since my DH was 51 and that was 16 years ago. He has never looked back, never sighed and thought "I should have kept working".

We moved to Florida into a house on the water, built a new one on a golf course, sailed a 36' Catalina around Florida, full-timed in a motor home to see this wondrous country of ours and finally settled down a few years ago and became willing to let our lives take a little rest.

I'm busier now in retirement then I was when I working full time and enjoying. I love reading my books, visiting countries like Panama and Thailand and the list keeps growing. Have a house on the beach but spend a lot of time volunteering, helping others.

Never looked back. I do miss some of the folks I use to work with, but with Facebook, well, it's keeps it real.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17655 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/6/2012 2:40 PM
"Never looked back. I do miss some of the folks I use to work with, but with Facebook, well, it's keeps it real. "

Most of the folks I worked with 13 years ago got laid off in the telecom meltdown...and the ones who managed to hang on are working 50-60 hours a week to keep their jobs.....and not enjoying it.

Most of the folks I knew wound up moving out of town for new opportunities. almost none were financially able to retire....

some found other local work...and and then retired....but never regained the financial track they were on...usually taking 30% paycut just to be employed at something.

I'm glad I did lots of overseas travel in my 50s.....I really don't have the enthusiasm for oversea travel any longer - too much hassle.

t.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17656 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/6/2012 5:56 PM
"I'm glad I did lots of overseas travel in my 50s.....I really don't have the enthusiasm for oversea travel any longer - too much hassle."

I think most are well aware that travel gets more difficult as you age. So, yes put travel on your bucket list and gauge it by difficulty. Do the toughest younger. Save some for later though.

Cruising does make travel overseas relatively less stressful. Fewer hassles. Your hotel room moves with you. Quite different than backpacking, staying in hostels and traveling by railpass.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17657 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/6/2012 8:44 PM
"Cruising does make travel overseas relatively less stressful. Fewer hassles. Your hotel room moves with you. Quite different than backpacking, staying in hostels and traveling by railpass. "

I did similar to that in Germany and England.

Got a Eurail pass..had about 8 days travel out of 21. Flew into Frankfurt and took train to Munich. After three days of beer and more beer, seeing the technical museum.....it was off on the train to Rome...spent a few days there, saw the sights. Stayed at a small small hotel in Munich. Got picked up by a 'guest house lady' who staked out the train station looking for people for her 3 room hotel. Was good. Train stations have loads of listing for places to stay.

Then off to Rome and used by travel guides to pick a hotel there.....nice...after 3 days, saw what I wanted to see....hopped on train to Innsbruck, Austria.....spent two days there..then off to the Black Forest....... last day of travel was back to Frankfurt and home.

Another trip to England got a Britrail pass....I forget how many days of travel....maybe 10 days......went to London and spent a few days there. Small hotel....had to take subway to get there. Hopped train to get to Land's End (Penzance)....stayed at small hotel. Hauling little wheelie bag....had to take bus from train station there. Spent day and a half there, then back to London. Then off to Hay-on-Wye, the used book capital of England...train then bus over the hills to the town. No train goes there. Spent day or two there, then back to London....then hopped train down to the Roman ruins.....and the cliffs of Dover on day trips each...then off to Bath England on the train....stayed overnight......took night train back to London.........somewhere in there I got to Stonehenge.....

Lots of walking and riding bus/subway.... train travel is easy....but there you can walk a good 1/2 mile or mile INSIDE the train stations getting to your train.....

Went to Thailand...same deal....trekking around, small hotels....

13 years later...I'm not excited about hauling my suitcase around to see more things. Seen enough for a while. BEen in Amsterdam and stockholm and Costa Rica, Mexico four or five times, , Canada, Alaska, 5 or 6 places in the Caribbean, etc..and all 50 states.

I can't generate enough enthusiasm to 'see' anything and put up with the hassles.

On the list of things I plan to see:

Panama Canal

Egyptian Pyramids (although they are not much different than the ones i Mexico - just bigger).....

Maybe Australia.....

t

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17658 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/9/2012 4:16 PM
On the list of things I plan to see:

Panama Canal

Egyptian Pyramids (although they are not much different than the ones i Mexico - just bigger).....

Maybe Australia.....

Live in Panama, you'll enjoy Panama Tour, take it and learn a lot.

I loved Eurorail in Europe. Oh was that great. Get on train and go anywhere. Saw so many countries.

We also travel across country by car. Plan on getting an RV and taking more time. This is such a beautiful country and each state has its own personality.

Author: ChiliChild Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17659 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/13/2012 2:57 PM
Recommendations: 3

ChiliSpouse retired six years ago at age 51, as well. He declared he would never work again and stuck to it except for one 3-day assignment installing some kind of transponder on airport buses. The renters of our house in North Texas own the company and needed someone who knew electronics on short notice. He retired from wireless comm, but an EE is one of his degrees, so the former exec worked in an unairconditioned garage for three days and came home with the biggest grin on his face.

I retired a couple of years after he did.

One of his younger friends sort of snarls when CS says we're going on vacation: "You're ALWAYS on vacation. The only difference is you're traveling."

Chili
work is what we did, not who we are

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17660 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/13/2012 10:28 PM
"work is what we did, not who we are"

Work: a form of slavery in which you sell your soul to the devil one hour or one pay period at a time.

It's only for the wicked.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17661 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/14/2012 9:48 AM
In early March I attended the Washington State precinct caucuses and was elected as a delegate to my legislative district caucus.

Today I will be attending the legislative district caucus where delegates to the Washington State Republican Convention will be elected.

None of the Republican candidates won a majority of delegates, and it takes election by a majority to be elected to go to the Washington State Convention where all the delegates to the Republican National Convention will be selected.

Two coalition slates are being organized. One is a slate that will include a majority of Romney delegates plus representatives from other campaigns. The other is a "block Romney" slate that includes no Romney delegates to the State Convention and divides up all the delegates among Gingrich, Santorum and Paul delegates.

I'm an organizer of the block Romney slate, and we shall see if we are well enough organized to elect all the delegates from our slate to the Washington State Republican Convention.

We shall see how this exercise in practical politics works out today.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17662 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/14/2012 10:36 AM
We shall see how this exercise in practical politics works out today.

Do you hope to be a convention delegate? If you wind up going we'll want a full trip report.

MD elects its convention delegates during the primary election, which was April 3. I work at the polls as an election judge and had an opportunity to chat with a young man who was running as an "uncommitted" delegate to the Republican convention and was chatting up voters on the way in. I should check and see if he won (doubtful).

Unusual for the People's Democratic Republic of Montgomery County, our precinct had almost equal Dem/Rep turnout in terms of raw numbers, even though Dems have a 2:1 registration advantage and there was a hot Dem primary contest for Congress.

Phil

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17663 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/14/2012 9:58 PM
<<We shall see how this exercise in practical politics works out today.

Do you hope to be a convention delegate? If you wind up going we'll want a full trip report.>>

The coalition of Paul, Gingrich and Santorum delegates elected all sixteen delegates and sixteen alternates to the Washington State Republican Convention today, which is where the delegates to the national convention will be elected.

So the "regular" Republican establishment (mostly Romney) was wiped out from attending the state convention.

I was elected as a delegate to the state convention, where I'll have a vote in electing three delegates to the national convention plus alternates from my Congressional District caucus, plus additional delegates elected at large by the convention.

So I'll have a vote on who goes, but alas it's very unlikely I could squeak in even as an alternate. If I could, I'd be delighted to go to Tampa and have a very small bit part in history.

My brother lives in Florida, so it would be especially nice to be able to attend the convention and then bring reports back to the locals (my brother voted for Ron Paul in the Florida primary). Alas, that's likely to be only a dream.

But being able to vote on the actual people who get to go is still pretty cool! And the state Republican convention is a pretty good show by itself.

The last time I attended a state party convention was in 1980 when I was supporting Jimmy Carter for re election. I drove a passel of reporters in the Presidential motorcade when Carter was in Seattle on a visit.

Politics can be fun!

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Follydolly Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17664 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 4/15/2012 11:51 PM
Politics can be fun!

If you are not on the receiving end of it.

Birgit

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17676 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 5/22/2012 4:25 PM
Now vacationing in Korea. Had some homemade Korean food from my wife's Aunts. Oh was that good. Now working out in the fitness center at the hotel and later walking through the underground mall. I know I'm going to buy some colorful suits.

Author: kahunacfa Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17678 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 5/23/2012 8:18 PM
I joined SCORE, January 1997 -- two years after I retired at age 50. My local chapter is here: http://www.SCOREKC.org

Kahuna, CFA

Author: fun2bretired Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 17680 of 19025
Subject: Re: Fun 2B Retired and it's challenges Date: 5/24/2012 8:57 AM
Great idea. Love volunteering and giving back. Good for you!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (25) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement