Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: pbreyer Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 25234  
Subject: Fund prospectus disclosure Date: 6/8/2001 4:04 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I've recently changed jobs and my new employer's 401(k) administrator
MetLife has so far refused to send any fund prospectuses (prospectii?)
to me. They have provided little two page blurbs that cover much of
what the prospectus does, but I was under the impression that they
were legally obligated to provide the prospectus. Am I mistaken?

There are 12 funds to choose from, and some of them have these
qualifying statements on them stating what the "underlying" fund was
and there is a column listing the operating expenses of the
underlying funds.

I can search out and find prospectuses on the web of 8 of the 12
funds, but 4 are listed as MetLife/UAM and I can find neither hide
nor hair of them.

I'm sorry to report that there are no index funds listed, not very
Foolish, I'm afraid.

Pbreyer
Print the post Back To Top
Author: W401K Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 12209 of 25234
Subject: Re: Fund prospectus disclosure Date: 6/8/2001 8:42 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Don't hold your breath waiting for the prspectus to arrive.
There won't be any. You are with Met Life, Met Life's 401k does not invest in mutual funds. You are in a group annuity contract. Your money is invested in the insurance companies separate account. Form there it is invested in variable separate account investments. These look like mutual funds and are named very similar to actual mutual funds, but often times are not the actual mutual funds. You mentioned the term underlying investment. Many of the fund companies offer clones of the actual mutual funds to be sold through insurance carriers. Oppenheimer has the Capital Appreciation fund, they also have the Oppenheimer Capital Appreciation VA, same type of fund, different expenses, can be different holding or even a different manager.
Fidelity Advisor sells Fidelity Advisor VIP funds through insurance firms, and the list goes on.
In addition to the usual expense ratios, you are also payin a wrap fee (just an added expense to cover the extra costs associated with annuities.)
Anyway, Met Life should provide you with basically the same information found in a prospectus, they may even call it a prospectus but its not filed with the SEC.
Try to find out the past performance of these funds, find out exactly how much you are paying in asset related fees, then pick a long term investing strategy given your individual tolerance for risk.
The good news is many insurance firms are moving away from the group annuity scenario. Evenutally they will only sell "real" mutual funds.

Bill

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement