UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: globalist2013 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: Re: $950K ... now what? Date: 1/15/2013 11:50 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Fungi,

Until you run the numbers, you don't know if you're making a rational choice, not that you have to make rational choices, and most investors don't. They do what "feels right", which is also a choice they can make. Sometimes that works out. But it is also indefensible. Run the numbers and then decide what to do. Don't just make gut-driven, emotion-driven guesses. Lay out the alternatives in enough detail that they really are choices --not just vague fears-- and then choose.

And I'm not giving you any advice I don't follow myself. Unlike some who hang out in this forum and who want to offer their opinions, I'm running serious money in bonds, and I'm constantly having to deal with the problem of getting rid of surplus cash that only becomes more aggravated when a bond I bought at a steep discount has run up and now has a fat, capturable premium.

"Do I do the trade and then scramble to find another place to park the money? Or do I sit tight and continue to clip the coupon?"

Sometimes, to not sell would be totally stupid. The gains are so fat that even when they are prorated over what would have been the former (and much longer) holding-period, the trade turns a higher profit. That's what running the numbers will tell you. OTOH, if the trade would result in a wash, or worse, undue grief, why do it? But the decision is rational and financial, not emotional.

Charlie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (38) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement