UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20586  
Subject: Funny line by my neighbor Date: 10/11/2012 7:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
SAP HQ is in Walldorf, about 4 kilometers from the village I live in which means we get a lot of tourists wondering around. The other day I was on main street of the town I live in with my neighbor and there were a couple of Englishmen walking along the sidewalk. They were gawking at the church and the old buildings and talking rather loudly and my neighbor (who is a retired American married to a German) said hello to them and asked how they liked Germany so far.

One of the men said, "This is a lovely little village you have. What do you call it?"

My neighbor replied, "Home."

The two Englishmen laughed then asked the name of the village and I told them.

What is interesting is how quickly people get used to taking where we live for granted. People spend a lot of money to visit villages like the one I live in and I try to be appreciative of what I have and where I live. It's fun to see tourists ooing and awwing over stuff I drive by every day though. lol

Calabogie
Print the post Back To Top
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18962 of 20586
Subject: Re: Funny line by my neighbor Date: 10/11/2012 8:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
It's fun to see tourists ooing and awwing over stuff I drive by every day though.

Same in DC. I remember riding past the full-bloom cherry trees on my way to the airport early one morning and barely noticing them. Later that day the same road was sure to be the traffic jam to end all.

Phil
Rule Your Retirement Home Fool

Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18964 of 20586
Subject: Re: Funny line by my neighbor Date: 10/12/2012 6:15 AM
Recommendations: 0
Same in DC. I remember riding past the full-bloom cherry trees on my way to the airport early one morning and barely noticing them. Later that day the same road was sure to be the traffic jam to end all.

Ain't that the truth! I loved living in the DC area (aside from the cost of living) because of the museums, parks, history, and the National Zoo. When I worked downtown I used to eat lunch at the zoo a couple of times a week. It's one of the best zoos in the country.

There's also so much to see and do in that area but many of my neighbors who had lived there for 10 or more years had never even been to The Mall.

Calabogie

Author: Globetraveler Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18968 of 20586
Subject: Re: Funny line by my neighbor Date: 10/12/2012 10:17 AM
Recommendations: 1
SAP HQ is in Walldorf, about 4 kilometers from the village I live in which means we get a lot of tourists wondering around. The other day I was on main street of the town I live in with my neighbor and there were a couple of Englishmen walking along the sidewalk.

We lived in the same area from 2000-2005. We rented an old farm row house in the Rot side of St. Leon-Rot. I loved those two little villages. Summer was filled with walking and riding bikes through the farm fields between St. Leon-Rot and Waldorf. You can ride your bike all the way to downtown Heidleberg from there all on bike trails. We had a great ice cream shop on the St. Leon side that we frequented in the summer.

What is interesting is how quickly people get used to taking where we live for granted. People spend a lot of money to visit villages like the one I live in and I try to be appreciative of what I have and where I live. It's fun to see tourists ooing and awwing over stuff I drive by every day though. lol

We have a version of that here in Alaska during the summer. I see moose, bald eagles, and even bears quite a bit. For me it's a normal thing, but for a tourist it is a once in life time adventure. My only gripe is that some of them don't realize that moose and bear might look cuter, but the are still wild animals and one needs to remain at a very safe distance.

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 18970 of 20586
Subject: Re: Funny line by my neighbor Date: 10/13/2012 10:10 AM
Recommendations: 0
I try to be appreciative of what I have and where I live. It's fun to see tourists ooing and awwing over stuff I drive by every day though.

I know just how you feel, having lived in San Francisco and New York City and next to Charleston SC. We referred to each of these hometowns as Our Fair City.

I'm waiting for the hubster to finish some school work so we can take a beach walk on the Isle of Palms or maybe a tidal creek walk in Palmetto Islands County Park. Maybe we'll go to downtown Charleston tomorrow and a plantation garden the next day. Yeah, it can feel like vacation in some hometowns. Even moreso being retired ;-)

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement