Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 86516  
Subject: Furby update Date: 11/27/1998 10:20 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I find this whole thing to be hysterical, but I do feel bad for those who are getting so stressed by the entire Furbymania and are so desperate to get one for their kids.

My sister had a solid plan:

She told me that the mall near her in Florida would have Furby today. So, she was up at 4:00 am this morning to make sure she was online when the store opened at 6:00. She told me that she was determined to be one of the first in the store.

And the result?

Turned out she got there, but folks had been lining up since 2:00 am! Those who were there got numbers, and having a number meant you got a Furby. Needless to say, when Sis got there, she neither got a number, nor a Furby.

She's not a happy camper.

Today on the news they said that Furby demand has far surpassed the Tickle-Me-Elmo craze of the past.

Somehow, it just seems to me that this is NOT what the holidays are all about.

This troubles me.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba
Print the post Back To Top
Author: DrJHawk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 526 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/27/1998 10:30 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Somehow, it just seems to me that this is NOT what the holidays are all about.

This troubles me.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Take a moment, Tony.

Rock Chalk, y'all,

Dr. J. Hawk

Author: racerboy Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 536 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/27/1998 11:06 PM
Hey Tony!

I've done the "get-in-line-the-night-before-Bruce-tickets-go-on-sale" thing, but didn't realize that Furbys could generate the same type of loyalty.

Hmmm.

racerboy

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 543 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 9:56 AM
I've done the "get-in-line-the-night-before-Bruce-tickets-go-on-sale" thing, but didn't realize that Furbys could generate the same type of loyalty.

Heya racerboy!

Interestingly enough, the news reports have been comparing the lines and tickets for Furby to the frenzy of concert tickets.

Only once did I ever wait in line and get a ticket in hopes to buy something, and that was for a Garth Brooks concert.

I don't think I'd ever go through that again for any product or concert.

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: RecoveringFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 545 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 10:39 AM
<<Only once did I ever wait in line and get a ticket in hopes to buy something, and that was for a Garth Brooks concert. >>
My confession - taking my turn at 3 a.m. waiting in line for NC State - Maryland basketball tickets in about 1973 or so - I think they were 1-2 in the rankings at that point. My boyfriend got the tickets for Bob Dylan/The Band concert. Now I can't think of anything I'd wait in line for(okay, porobably something for the kids).
Jacki

Author: DanShep Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 548 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 2:14 PM
I do not recall if it was in the Seattle area, or if it was just a national news story on our local stations, but get this.

Some little girl was waiting in line to get Furby from about 5:00 in the morning. She got in, along with the rest of the people rushing to knock the door down.

She got the last one. So some lady bit her finger. The girl pulled back her hand, dropped the Furby and the lady took it and left.

I agree with you, Tony. Something is amiss when stuff like that happens.

Those Furbys are imitative. She probably has now taught hers to bite.

Disney Dan

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 549 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 2:28 PM
She got the last one. So some lady bit her finger. The girl pulled back her hand, dropped the Furby and the lady took it and left.

Now there's a lady with Christmas spirit, eh?

NOT!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 550 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 2:33 PM
Y'know there's a whole board devoted to this sort of thing just a ways down the alphabet from this board. Lion Fishing Expeditions are forming, come see for yourself. (That'd be the HYPE board)

Raggmopp

Author: FolacinTheAcidic Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 551 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 2:40 PM
Tony,

While I'm sure your sister is a nice person (someone in your family must be, right?), I see her as much more at fault for Furby-mania then Tiger (the manufactorer, I believe).

Tiger makes a new toy, guesses how many they can sell (possibly purposely on the low side, in deference to the conspiracy theorists), and then advertises them, hoping that they have a hit.

Then some people decide that their kid has to have one, other's hear there is possibly a shortage, and suddenly there is a shortage. And then, normally sane people are lining up at 2:00 am to buy a toy!

My kids are probably in the age target for Furby (3-5-6). They've seen the ads, and haven't asked for one. Why do I get the feeling that most of the demand for this and other 'have to have' toys is driven by the parents?

Joe 'just say no to hot toys' V

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 552 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 3:41 PM
While I'm sure your sister is a nice person (someone in your family must be, right?), I see her as much more at fault for Furby-mania then Tiger (the manufactorer, I believe)...I get the feeling that most of the demand for this and other 'have to have' toys is driven by the parents?

Joe,

I agree with you 100% on this. In fact, I've told my sister that she's buying into this nonsense. No toy is that important that anyone should become obsessed with this. As I said in my original post on the topic, if everyone would just buy something else, and ignore the new products, then this kind of mania wouldn't happen.

Personally, I don't see why it has to be "under the tree on Xmas" when an IOU from Santa can be just as good. : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: RecoveringFool Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 553 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 3:54 PM
I have to comment here - there's one difference between Furby and Elmo - Furby has no history. Yes, I was one of those idiots who bought Elmo last year but I really had no problem finding one and it was for my then 16 year old SilverShoes. There was a whole nostalgia thing going on in her high school and the kids really had wonderful memeories of Sesame Street and wanted Elmo as a reminder.(I also happen to think Elmo is adorable ;)

Jacki

Author: SmrtAss Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 554 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 4:18 PM
<there's one difference between Furby and Elmo - Furby has no history.>

Jacki, I also think it wasn't planned for Elmo to be in short supply. Rosie O'Donnell loved the Tickle Me Elmo doll so much and gave many away on her show. Fans of her show may have had a lot to do with the craze for them. The toy's manufacturer may have underestimated Rosie's popularity and influence! Once the demand took off, it sort of got out of control, and Rosie still talked about them and of course anything hard to get becomes irrestistable.

Patti
plus, Elmo already had lots of fans!

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 555 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 5:01 PM
I have to comment here - there's one difference between Furby and Elmo - Furby has no history. Yes, I was one of those idiots who bought Elmo last year but I really had no problem finding one and it was for my then 16 year old SilverShoes. There was a whole nostalgia thing going on in her high school and the kids really had wonderful memeories of Sesame Street and wanted Elmo as a reminder.(I also happen to think Elmo is adorable ;)

Jacki,

That's a very interesting point. Elmo had the tie-in/loyalty issue of Sesame Street, and Furby comes from nowhere.

Amazingly though, the Furby demand is far more than Elmo was, if you can believe that.

I don't understand what the big attraction is, and I still believe that it's more the fact that it's unattainable that makes it so popular. If they were in huge supply, I've no doubt sales would be less.

But what do I know. Wasn't it last year that those tomagochi's or whatever they were called were so hot with the kids? Talk about junk! ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 556 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 5:09 PM
How about this one...

Yesterday, while visiting my dad, I noticed the back page of one of those weekly flyer papers...you know, the ones that are mostly full of ads, help wanted, etc.

Well, the back page was an ad for a real estate company, and they were offering:

If you list your house with us, we'll put you in a raffle where you could win a Furby!

Can you believe it? List your house and you can get in a raffle.

Is this insane or what? LOL!

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TchrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 557 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 5:10 PM
There was a near-riot at a Wal-Mart in Lynn, Mass., yesterday, when the store postponed the sale of Furbies until 6 a.m. and didn't tell the 500 people who had lined up Thursday night that it had only 30 of them to sell anyway. Here's the story from the Boston Globe:

http://www.globe.com/dailyglobe/globehtml/332/Furby_fervor_gets_ugly__at_a_Wal_Ma.shtml

Author: TchrP Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 558 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 5:17 PM
>> List your house and you can get in a raffle.

Is this insane or what?
-----------------------
Yes. They should have offered something substantial, like a Mercedes-Benz.

I just hope that the company actually has a Furby to raffle off.

FWIW, there was a coupon in the newspaper last month: 35 cents off on a box of prunes and you get into a raffle for a purple VW Beetle. Of course I entered it even though driving a VW would be a problem in my line of work, even if it weren't purple.

Author: DanShep Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 559 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 5:47 PM
Tony, shame on you for blaming your sister.

As one who is intimately aware of the discrepancy between kid wants toy and company provides toy for the last 20 years, I do not find that the parents are to blame.

Yes, they do fuel the mania by controlling the pocketbook. HOWEVER, were it not for the kids who ask for that toy, the parents would not be buying them.

Every year there are one or two "hot" toys. Were it not for the cartoons who display this stuff, the companies would not make them. All of the people who make these children's shows are aware that their show may become popular with the kids.

Which of the children's shows, when approached by a company, does not offer to make a cute toy of their popular characters? Once the company has a financial commitment to manufacture, they know how to merchandise. They know how to read the parents who they know are going to buy the Cabbage Patch Doll or the Elmo or the Furby, because their child wants it.

I feel more sorry for the parents, who if they do not buy this toy, end up with a kid who is disappointed at Christmas. I might be willing to let my kid be disappointed one year because I was unwilling to stand in line, but darned if I am going to want to disappoint them every year.

This year maybe I will give my kids gift certificates to my favorite store!

Disney Dan

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 563 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 10:38 PM
Dan,

LOL! That was great! I loved that post. However, heehee...you said, "Yes, they do fuel the mania by controlling the pocketbook. HOWEVER, were it not for the kids who ask for that toy, the parents would not be buying them."

I dunno if I can agree with this, when in my sister's case the one asking for Furby is barely three years old.

Then again, what do I know. : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: dawnc Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 565 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 11:20 PM
Interesting side note on The Furby. The company that did the inner workings was paid a flat $10,000. They tried going for royalties, but didn't get any. The employees even had to stand in line to buy them. No freebies. This was the first toy they worked on. They usually do medical stuff. They are hopeing to get some footing with the other toy companies now.

(Read it in the business section of our local paper. The company was a local one. Don't remember the name.)

Dawn

Author: Raggmopp Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 566 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/28/1998 11:29 PM
I dunno if I can agree with this, when in my sister's case the one asking for Furby is barely three
years old.

! I was merciful, you owe me.

Author: mys Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 574 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/29/1998 12:53 PM
I went to the flea market last weekend and a toy dealer there had Furbys, priced at "$95 today -- $125 tomorrow." Needless to say he also had a load of Beanies and other "collectible" toys. I didn't notice him doing a whole lot of business, though.

I liked Ewoks when they came out; I thought they were cute. Furbys (this was the first time I saw any for real) are actually ugly versions of Ewoks. Give me an Ewok any day. . . .

mys

Author: DrJHawk Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 581 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/29/1998 2:08 PM
Furby mania is really a new Christmas tradition started by the unfettered capitolism crowd. Every year we have to have a "must have" toy. CNBC was doing research a couple of months ago in an attempt to determine what it would be this year. I'm not sure they identified the Furbie, but it's evidence that it is expected every year. Parents buy into the whole sham! Just as professional sports fans are willing to come back to the stadiums/parks/areana after getting ignored by owners and players during strikes and lock-outs. Barnum said it best, "No one ever went broke underestimating the intellegence of the American public."

By the way, I noticed there was bidding on Furby on EBay.

Rock Chalk, y'all,

Dr. J. Hawk

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 586 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/29/1998 2:40 PM
I went to the flea market last weekend and a toy dealer there had Furbys, priced at "$95 today -- $125 tomorrow." Needless to say he also had a load of Beanies and other "collectible" toys. I didn't notice him doing a whole lot of business, though.

Mys,

LOL! If you didn't have such high principles, you would've bought some of those Furby's and stood outside a Toys R Us and sold them for $200. ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 589 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/29/1998 2:46 PM
CNBC was doing research a couple of months ago in an attempt to determine what it would be this year. I'm not sure they identified the Furbie, but it's evidence that it is expected every year.

Dr. J,

Yep, they sure did. I was watching CNBC when they were displaying a Furby on the desk, discussing how it was the hot item. This was a while back.

They did the same type of thing with Elmo, and Sleep n' Snore Ernie. : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: racerboy Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 602 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/29/1998 6:27 PM
Then some people decide that their kid has to have one,

Joe,
I was trying to figure out exactly who generates this demand! I think that you are on to something here as far as the manufacturer that probably only produces a faux limited production run so as to drive up the cost/value. Sounds awfully comparable to price fixation to me. But you're right, who convinces the kids/parents that this is the toy they have to have? I never even heard of a Furby until I swam ashore on Tony's isle. That's when I saw the news report on CNN.

racerboy

Author: racerboy Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 603 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/29/1998 6:32 PM
I don't understand what the big attraction is, and I still believe that it's more the fact that it's unattainable that makes it so popular. If they were in huge supply, I've no doubt sales would be less.

Tony,
I think we should market a limited-edition of the Fool jester in full regalia! Heck, if people are willing to shell out money for the Furby or Elmo, the Fool doll is sure to be a hit!

But what do I know. Wasn't it last year that those tomagochi's or whatever they were called were so hot with the kids? Talk about junk! ; )

Pretty frightening, isn't it?

racerboy

Author: racerboy Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 604 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/29/1998 6:34 PM
Yesterday, while visiting my dad, I noticed the back page of one of those weekly flyer papers...you know, the ones that are mostly full of ads, help wanted, etc.

Well, the back page was an ad for a real estate company, and they were offering:

If you list your house with us, we'll put you in a raffle where you could win a Furby

Tony,
Your comment reminded me of the last Want-Ad magazine I looked through had three full pages of people selling Beanie Babies!!

racerboy

Author: racerboy Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 605 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/29/1998 6:37 PM
This year maybe I will give my kids gift certificates to my favorite store!

Hey Dan!
I agree with you. My gifts are going to be OCPs to the JNJ DRIP accounts I opened for my nephews. Let someone else worry about the Furbys.

racerboy

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 607 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/29/1998 6:50 PM
I was trying to figure out exactly who generates this demand!

I'm convinced, racerboy. It's the companies with the help of the media.

Mark my words...Furby will be in great abundance once Christmas is past. : )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 608 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/29/1998 6:51 PM
Tony,
I think we should market a limited-edition of the Fool jester in full regalia! Heck, if people are willing to shell out money for the Furby or Elmo, the Fool doll is sure to be a hit!

Great idea, racerboy...

But the key is to make sure there's a lot of demand, and very low supply. ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

Author: Shaniqua Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 628 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/29/1998 10:46 PM
Day after Thanksgiving, biggest shopping day of the year. The ad for a certain store guaranteed they had a certain number of Furbys in stock.

My sister got on line at midnight (and she was third in line). The store opened at 6:00; by that time, there were at least 100 people in line. They didn't get numbers, they got to race to the Toy Department.

The Furbys were not in the Toy Department! They were in the Stationery Department, on one of those tables they set up in the middle of the aisle. By the time she found out where they were, there were none left.

At this point, she's hoping someone in kindergarten tells her daughter that Santa isn't real.

Shaniqua

Author: TMF2Aruba Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 652 of 86516
Subject: Re: Furby update Date: 11/30/1998 5:53 PM
At this point, she's hoping someone in kindergarten tells her daughter that Santa isn't real.

Shaniqua,

Now that's funny!

And all because of an unattainable Furby. ; )

Tony
...but I still am...

Off2Aruba

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (32) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement