No. of Recommendations: 0
Hi, made an offer on a house, have been going back and forth on price with owner....last offer given was $280...

Was called by the broker tonight, and was told that owners would go for $287 for the house. We said $285, and you have a deal...Now, 2 hours later, the broker's "boss" calls back and trys to hard sell me. He says that the owner will not go lower than $290...I say wait a minute, I have never spoken to you, you are trying to hard sell me, and I don't like it, beside the fact that your guy said that the owners would go $287. He said he did not know that. I said try talking to your guy before calling me and trying to ram down my throat. He said, "well anyway, 285 is not going to be accepted, you want to offer the $287 huh huh, or do you want to walk???? what do you say???" I said I better get off the phone, because I am very angry, and getting angrier, and will call you back. He said well I am not available now. I said, OH, you can call my house at late in the evening, but if I call you back you are not available?? interesting.

I called the owners...asked if they ever got the offer of $285. He said no, last offer was $280 that he heard. He said that he does not know where the broker got the $287, he needed to stay around $290 but $287 sounded ok to him if the broker took the difference out of his pocket.

I feel like I have to wash my hands after talking on the phone with these brokers.

I honestly do not feel comfortable dealing with this broker after I know that he did not even pass on our last offer. I feel like he is poking us to see how high he can get us, to save his fee, and waiting to see if he can line up someone else to get more $$ from.

Now, intellectually, I feel that I should not care about the broker, since the seller has to pay him. We should just stick to an offer we feel comfortable with. We just feel that this broker is dishonest, since he obviously only passes along offers that will not cut into his commission???

Perhaps we seem too interested, since we went up from $280, to 285, and may go to $287 I WANT TO SCREAM!!!

My husband feels we should talk to the owner and offer them the same amount, and wait until their contract with the broker is done. I think that we stand a chance of losing the house that way.

Need to be steered to clear thinking!!! Thanks
Print the post  


Useful Resources
Our Home Center has all you need to make buying and owning a home a great experience. Get or refinance a mortgage and much more!
Buying/Selling a Home FAQ

Mortgage Professor
Offsite resource for mortgage questions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.