Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Several years ago (five or six ... eventually, I will have to check to be sure), my wife and I bought some glass and marble tables. Very lovely, way too expensive, and not the sort of thing to have around now that we have and are having kids. Two questions:

[1] If we are able to sell them, I assume that we should declare this as income, but is it just miscellaneous income from other sources or what?

[2] If we are unable to sell them, a local shop has offered to pick them up, take them away, and provide a receipt for our brand-new charitable write-off. But what is the amount of the donation? Do I simply depreciate the original cost over some number of years and figure out what it would be 'worth' today? If so, how long is the typical depreciation period for this kind of thing?

I'm sorry if this has been answered before, but I tried a few searches and couldn't find anything.

==> david
Print the post  

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement