Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 157031  
Subject: Re: Bing taking it to Google Date: 9/23/2012 9:31 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Further, the test doesn't measure the "learning" ability of either engine. A search engine gets better as it learns your preferences.

True enough, but I wonder how many people are "signed on" to Google so it knows your preferences. Surely many people are work aren't logged in to G-mail, since they have their own corporate accounts. And lots of uses at home bounce between AOL, Yahoo, and Google, so I wonder if they're in that pool?

Regardless it's a big competitive advantage, I'll admit.

Data from the NPD group showed that while 10-14 percent of US households now have a Mac, only 2 percent are mac only. Considering that about 1 percent are linux only, this means that 97 percent of US households have some sort of Windows machine running at home.

You're talking about "penetration." I was talking about "marketshare", which is generally a reference to the last 12 months (or whatever appropriate period is being measured) sales.

nobody can deny Microsoft still has a truly extraordinary amount of leverage

Yes they do. Can they use it? That's the question. Sometimes corporations can take assets and leverage them into new and related markets: Procter & Gamble, Kellogg's, Coca-Cola and others. Sometimes they have leverage and can't: Schlitz Beer had the #1 market position, biggest ad budget, best distribution, and... remember them?

If Microsoft is going to win here it will be because of Office, not because of Windows 8. But nobody is going to use Office (to any meaningful degree) on a cell phone, so they will have to leverage Office into tablets, and then from the user experience of 8 backwards into the handheld space. That's a tricky - and long - path to take.

Conceivably they could do very well in tablets while falling on their nose in phones. Absent some other sort of "leverage" I wouldn't be at all surprised to see that as the outcome. I note that "Tablets" is good; "cell phones" is better. (Faster turnover, higher margin, wider audience.)
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (17) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Apple

Wal-Mart Nixes Apple Pay
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement