Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 22036  
Subject: Fused Photos Date: 12/9/2005 10:43 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I recently came across a box of photographs which had been stored in one of my barns.
Of course I know that this should not have been done, but I get to blame one of my sons, who apparently thought that making room was more important than safeguarding irreplaceable photographs.
Some of the pictures are fine and I have since scanned them onto CD-ROMs, but I have a number of "clumps" consisting of as many of 20 photos, seemingly fused together by Eastern humdity. Attempting to separate them tears the emulsion and renders the picture unviewable.

Is there a secret method known to folks like you, who are experts in all things photographic, on how to get these pictures apart again?

I'd be ever so grateful for a solution.

Regards,

Grumpy
Print the post Back To Top
Author: jnk96 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9190 of 22036
Subject: Re: Fused Photos Date: 12/9/2005 11:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
4 methods have worked for various people.

1. Place them in the Freezer
2. Steam them apart
3. Humidifier
4. Soak them in "clean" water or use dripper

You'll have to experiment. Good Luck!

jnk

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9191 of 22036
Subject: Re: Fused Photos Date: 12/9/2005 11:18 AM
Recommendations: 4

Is there a secret method known to folks like you, who are experts in all things photographic, on how to get these pictures apart again?

I've had some luck soaking them in distilled water until they separate. Don't rush the process, just let the prints sit in the water until they come apart. Doesn't always work, but if no one else has a better suggestion, try it on a small group.

(I used distilled water because the tap water around here is fairly hard and I didn't want to take any chances. Probably a bit paranoid on my part.)

Bob

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9193 of 22036
Subject: Re: Fused Photos Date: 12/10/2005 6:22 PM
Thank you Bob!

I will indeed procure some distilled water and try your method.
Probably after the holidays, when company has left and there is more elbow room.
I'll let you know the results.
---------------------------------------------
Hey, we passed through Minneapolis at the beginning of last August. Are you perhaps acquainted with the Butter Roll bakery on West Broadway?
If you ever stop in, tell them you know "Grumpy" from the internet.

Regards,

Grumpy

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9194 of 22036
Subject: Re: Fused Photos Date: 12/10/2005 6:27 PM
Thank you too, Jack, for your response.
I will try your "clean" water method, as also suggested by Bob.

Wish me luck!

Regards,

Grumpy

Author: BobSch Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 9203 of 22036
Subject: Re: Fused Photos Date: 12/12/2005 9:40 AM
Recommendations: 1
Hey, we passed through Minneapolis at the beginning of last August. Are you perhaps acquainted with the Butter Roll bakery on West Broadway?
If you ever stop in, tell them you know "Grumpy" from the internet.

I do indeed know the Butter Roll, although it's been years since I've been in there. I'll keep you in mind next time I'm in the area.

Good luck with your pics.

Bob

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement