UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1968382  
Subject: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 5:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
http://minx.cc/?post=336869

In referring to the media orgasm over Hillary!'s testimony:

What we are witnessing is the full and seamless fusion of media power with government power.

The media used to hide it a bit, in their actions; they would temper their scorn of conservatism, throw them a bone now and again just to prove they were capable of such a thing.

No longer. The media no longer hides it in their actions. They are fully fused with the Obama Administration and DNC. The only way in which they do hide it is by simply lying when confronted about it: They'll issue a snide denial, then go about doing precisely what it is they were accused of doing....

The media considers its adversarial function to consist of serving as adversaries to critics of Obama and the Democrats; thus Terry Moran shaming himself by rushing out to ask what right a Senator has to question the Secretary of State on matters of foreign policy.

And from a comment:
The true source of Obama's power is completely overlooked (or willfully ignored) by the GOP, perhaps because it is too terrifying to contemplate, too awesome to engage: that he has completely removed an investigative and anti-authoritarian media (in Mencken's famous adage, one committed in part "to afflicting the comfortable") from the political dynamic. Obama operates with the most massive propaganda arm ever been seen in modern history. He is essentially invulnerable. At no point did Romney/Ryan come close to addressing this sick truth so dangerous to our society and freedoms. Nor do any other Republicans. Breitbart alone found expression for his moral outrage and developed a plan of counter-attack. Since he died, however, the game has gone back to carping and chronicling "media bias." We need a battle plan.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855088 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 6:23 PM
Recommendations: 48
What an unmitigated load of horsesh!t.

The media scorns modern conservatism because you've finally allowed the real whackjobs to go public.

Meanwhile, that danged lamestream media mercilessly torments conservative pols by asking piercing questions like "what newspapers do you read," or playing video of them talking. With such trickery afoot it's no wonder conservatives are most typically seen running to Fair And Balanced media where real investigative journalists ask questions like "So did Obama learn to be a Marxist when he was born in Kenya, or did he learn it in Muslim terrorist training?"

Dude, you are so snowed. Enjoy your time in the echo chamber.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855091 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 6:36 PM
Recommendations: 0
What an unmitigated load of horsesh!t.

Okay, but then you say...

The media scorns modern conservatism because you've finally allowed the real whackjobs to go public.

Thanks for proving the point. The media's job is to report without bias.

In the meantime, we're all screwed. Why? Because people like you are satisfied with "What difference does it make?" as actual answers to questions. Oh, and accepting responsibility without consequences.

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855108 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 9:19 PM
Recommendations: 86
The media's job is to report without bias.

Sorry, the media's job is not to elevate paranoid nonsense to the level of political discourse. When Todd Akin suggests that pregnancy is impossible during rape, it's just ignorant, stupid talk, and needs to be met with the kind of response that reasonable people use in the face of base stupidity - this is to either ignore it, or to point and laugh.

When the popular media is pointing and laughing at modern conservatism, it's not collusion with the government; it's just the natural course of normal people pointing and laughing at things that have no business being taken seriously.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855109 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 9:21 PM
Thanks for proving the point. The media's job is to report without bias.

http://gawker.com/5978705/gop-lawmaker-in-new-mexico-wants-t...

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855110 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 9:26 PM
So all conservatives are Todd Aiken? I don't think so. And that also absolves the media from reporting on Obama?

I owe you a thank you. This post helps the case I've been making that the political left is less interested in arguing than they are in simply dismissing or discrediting the other side. It's much easier than stating a position and defending it reasonably.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855111 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 9:29 PM
Recommendations: 2
What's this have to do with the cozy relationship between the media and Obama?

Oh right. Absolutely nothing.

But it does help the case that all conservatives are crazy and therefore everything they say can be dismissed out of hand.

Author: wzambon Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855116 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 9:40 PM
Recommendations: 12
But it does help the case that all conservatives are crazy and therefore everything they say can be dismissed out of hand.

All conservatives are not crazy. Nobody is claiming that.

But the Republican Party has been taken over by a passle of reactionaries, and the stories like that I linked are legion.

You don't think that a legislator introducing a state bill to charge victims of rape or incest who get an abortion- with evidence tampering is not news? Twenty years ago, this would have shocked everyone- Republicans and Democrats.

Now, unfortunately, these stories are commonplace.

One of he last Republican leader worthy of the name was Richard Lugar.

And to that, about the only thing many of you folks have to say is "Good riddance".

The Republican Party has become a joke.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855117 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 9:43 PM
That's funny. All conservatives aren't crazy, but the entire GOP has been taken over by crazies.

Hmm.

And that still has zero to do with the cozy relationship between Obama and the media. It's always better to deflect on how crazy your opponents are...much easier to dismiss them that way.

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855119 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 9:58 PM
Recommendations: 8
That's funny. All conservatives aren't crazy, but the entire GOP has been taken over by crazies.

One by one we watch "conservative" republicans on TMF wake up to realize that things like the ACA are important to their future, that gun control, as it is, is insufficient, that Bush left Obama a mess, etc etc etc. Then they are chastized for these revelations, branded RINO by an increasingly strident diminishing group of, well, as the above ref calls 'em... crazies.

It is what it is.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855124 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 10:06 PM
Recommendations: 1
Third lib up, third lib attempting to play the deflection card. What's going on today? The race card all dogeared and worn out? Or maybe it's got too much beer on it and it's stuck to the class warfare card in the deck?

None if this has anything to do with the cozy relationship between Obama and the media. You're now the third left winger to try a dodge.

C'mon, PA. Let's go for four!

Author: sano Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855125 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 10:17 PM
Recommendations: 51
Third lib up, third lib attempting to play the deflection card. What's going on today?

Dope, today you got yer clock cleaned on every darned thread. You got pantsed. You lost another republican.

You can LOL, you can hahaha, whatever blows yer skirt up.

Clearly that works with your pals on Conservative Fools, but this is the bigs pal, and you fanned.

Maybe some of your buds on CF will let you fondle their bushmasters! Better hurry. Your legions are disappearing.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855126 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 10:25 PM
Still won't address the topic at hand.
And "lost another Republican"? If you say so.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855127 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/24/2013 11:27 PM
Recommendations: 4
Getting us back to the focus of the thread.
http://www.mediaite.com/tv/reporter-on-obamas-amateurish-pre...

Rolling Stone reporter Michael Hastings, author of the BuzzFeed special book on the 2012 campaign Panic 2012, joined Martin Bashir on Thursday where he revealed that journalists who covered President Barack Obama during the campaign were sometimes so overcome by his presence that they would “lose their minds” and behave in “juvenile” and “amateurish” ways. Among other anecdotes, Hastings admitted that he once had the opportunity to ask the president hard questions, but was so similarly moved by his presence that he only asked “soft” questions.

Fusion of media and government.

Author: Umm Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855136 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 12:17 AM
"One of he last Republican leader worthy of the name was Richard Lugar.

And to that, about the only thing many of you folks have to say is "Good riddance".

The Republican Party has become a joke."

I have been following politics long enough to remember when John Boehner and Mitch McConnell were considered to be part of the far right wing of the Republican party. Now they are fearful of not being re-elected because they are not far enough to the right.

The Republican party's embrace of politics disguised as entertainment (Fox News, Rush, Beck, etc) has been a double edged sword. It has fired up the base and brought people into politics who never would have normally been there, but it has cost them in terms of leadership.

Entertainers are not out to govern, lead, and compromise for the good of the country. They are out to generate ratings. Conflict, conspiracy, and hardline absolutes are great attributes to generate ratings, but are horrible attributes when it comes to leading and governing.

Author: feedmeNOWhuman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855139 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 12:48 AM
So all conservatives are Todd Aiken? I don't think so.

Conservatives who go on and on about Hillary's testimony, who want to restrict abortion, who lie about rape, who blather about Obama's birth certificate, who want to persecute gays, are all in the same category:

Wacko.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855148 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 2:09 AM
sano vomited: Your legions are disappearing.

As a Dope legion, I must say I rarely venture into this cesspool. I don't know how he stands it here. But his legions are certainly not disappearing; we merely prefer more pleasant climes.

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855160 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 8:48 AM
Dude, you are so snowed. Enjoy your time in the echo chamber.

He's clinical

Author: goofnoff Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855163 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 8:55 AM
The media's job is to report without bias.

Actuallly that statement is sophism of the highest degree.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855189 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 10:57 AM

You call what our media does "scorn"? Most of the actual scorn comes from unconventional sources like Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert. Mainstream media doesn't seem to want to really bite-down on these lunatics.

Enjoy your time in the echo chamber.

Do you think he's moving to GlennBeckistan?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/glenn-beck-announces-pla...

Apparently the echo chamber these folks live in isn't good enough, so they're going to build a better one that will be totally free of impure influences.

I know it's often used as a pejorative, but I say in all seriousness that these people are well and truly nuts. They need help. Real, actual, professional help. Probably all they will get in GlennBeckistan is a "pray the gay away" clinic.

1poorguy

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855217 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 12:54 PM
Recommendations: 15
You call what our media does "scorn"?

Not nearly as much as it should be.

I know it's often used as a pejorative, but I say in all seriousness that these people are well and truly nuts. They need help. Real, actual, professional help. Probably all they will get in GlennBeckistan is a "pray the gay away" clinic.

We're talking about the kind of sheeple that George Orwell was thinking of when he wrote Nineteen-Eighty-Four. These are people that thrive on authoritarian edicts and party-line talking points ("We don't have a revenue problem, we have a spending problem" ... We Built That ... Obama can't lead ... the Job-Killing health care bill ... Drill Baby Drill ... Executive Experience ... Weapons of Mass Destruction ... Stay the Course ... it's a Child not a Choice ... Jesus is Truth ... a thousand flavors of "liberals are stupid" ...) They need to hear these things, from their trusted sources, frequently and loudly. Not only that, but they need to repeat these things themselves, as if to assure their seamless internalization.

The studies are there to show how conservatives are predisposed to cleave to religion and miltiaristic authority, all the while they trumpet the virtues of freedom of will and individual responsibility. They are a living contradiction, and it seems too much to ask for them to reflect on their own state of being. Increasingly, I'm failing to see the point in trying to help. It's so much easier to ignore, and so much more satisfying to point and laugh.

Author: jah609 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855219 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 1:01 PM
<<<<The studies are there to show how conservatives are predisposed to cleave to religion and miltiaristic authority, all the while they trumpet the virtues of freedom of will and individual responsibility. They are a living contradiction, and it seems too much to ask for them to reflect on their own state of being. Increasingly, I'm failing to see the point in trying to help. It's so much easier to ignore, and so much more satisfying to point and laugh.>>>>

Speaking of laughing: screeds such as this post are the main reason I read the PA lefty comments. They're funnier than Leno.

It's been said laughter aids health and long life; if true, PA will keep me around a loooong time.

Thanks, guys.

Author: thoughtcrook Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855220 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 1:09 PM
Increasingly, I'm failing to see the point in trying to help. It's so much easier to ignore, and so much more satisfying to point and laugh.

point and laugh is probably the most effective way to neutralize their influence.

but they remain dangerous, perhaps an existential threat.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855222 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 1:24 PM
Speaking of laughing: screeds such as this post are the main reason I read the PA lefty comments. They're funnier than Leno.

Yep. Tons of posts, all of them about how supposedly screwed up conservatives are and NONE of them having anything to do with the topic of the thread.

Which tells us what?

They have no problem whatsoever with the media carrying Obama's water and actively backing him. All the while hilariously describing how much we live in a bubble.

Author: TheDope1 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855223 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 1:25 PM
but they remain dangerous, perhaps an existential threat.

Yep. Better lock 'em all up for the good of the nation.

Author: CCinOC Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855240 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 1:52 PM
What's this have to do with the cozy relationship between the media and Obama?

Oh, nuthin.

Obama Meets with Influential Dumbocrats
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/12/04/obama-rachel-maddow...

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855287 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/25/2013 4:31 PM
Ignoring is dangerous, MV. Ignore a tiger and it might eviscerate you before you can blink.

But pointing and laughing (while keeping your eyes firmly on them) is definitely appropriate much of the time.

1poorguy

Author: ModernViking Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1855425 of 1968382
Subject: Re: Fusion of media and government Date: 1/26/2013 12:10 PM
Yep. Tons of posts, all of them about how supposedly screwed up conservatives are and NONE of them having anything to do with the topic of the thread.

Which tells us what?

Tells us that you can't read. I directly rebutted your "fusion of media and government" theory with my first two responses.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement