UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: joelcorley Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 308722  
Subject: Re: Could I Have an "Attaboy!" Date: 6/12/2013 5:26 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Fuskie,

You wrote, The longer you drive it, the more value you get out of the money you put into it...

While I generally agree with the sentiment, I'm not sure I would treat the statement as an absolute. Maintaining a car, especially when you are talking about having multiple major mechanical issues, can cost you a LOT in labor. Unless you are your own mechanic, this can get prohibitively expensive ... and you may never be able recoup all of that cost.

WARNING: TANGENT AHEAD! ;-)

Usually when I've gotten rid of a car in the past, I've already started paying for expensive repairs I know I'll never be able to justify relative to the depreciation cost of a new car. Of course I never see it until I've already paid for a few expensive repairs and can still tell there are other expensive repairs deferred. At that point I throw up my hands and buy another car.

But of course I'd never consider replacing a 4 year old car unless I've put a 250K miles on it or it's been totaled in an accident. That would just seem wasteful to me. Maybe I'd do it if the cost of a car were pocket change, but probably not. My own car is a 2006 Accord. It's been paid off since 2007. Savings rates were falling and I decided I didn't need that much of a cash cushion, so I paid it off in less than a year.

I have to confess I've been tempted to break my own rules though. My new house and job are really close together. My Accord now gets lousy gas mileage (no better than 22mpg) because of the short distances, hilly terrain and traffic signs/lights. My girlfriend's hybrid seems unaffected by any of it. So I might wind up selling / trading in my Accord before my 10 year target in part because of its fuel economy.

- Joel
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (28) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

TMF Credit Center
The Motley Fool Credit Center arms you with real tools and simple messages, that will help you in every credit situation.
Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement