UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: Fuskie Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Ticker Guide SC1 Red Winner of the 2010 Rule Breakers Challenge Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49431  
Subject: Fuskie's Networking Digest - 121130 Date: 11/30/2012 1:42 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Why Give a Hoot About Night Owls?

Society stigmatizes people who are different -- not just the well-recognized differences like skin color, religious beliefs, and

sexual orientation. The stigmas are also against people of a quieter nature, heavy people (especially women!), short people

(especially men!), and older people. Now a different group is emerging from the shadows: night owls.

You might think it’s nobody’s business when you go to bed. However, if you’re trying to hold down -- or look for -- a 9-to-5 job and

you can’t get to sleep each night until the wee hours, you're probably facing chronic exhaustion, which can affect your health and

well-being, and ultimately your performance on the job.

http://salary.com/lack%2Dof%2Dsleep%2Djob%2Dperformance/

Meet your newest management headache: the co-branded employee.
A growing number of professionals are using social media to build a personal, public identity—a brand of their own—based on their

work. Think of an accountant who writes a widely read blog about auditing, or a sales associate who has attracted a big following

online by tweeting out his store's latest deals.
Vote

Co-branded employees may exist largely below the radar now, but that's changing fast, and employers need to start preparing for the

ever-greater challenges they pose for managers, co-workers and companies. Their activities can either complement a company's own

brand image or clash with it. Companies that fail to make room for co-branded employees—or worse yet, embrace them without thinking

through the implications—risk alienating or losing their best employees, or confusing or even burning their corporate brand.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000087239639044399560457800...

Networking On The Job
Joel Deitch has never had to look far for work.

After getting laid off from a security software firm in Atlanta, Mr. Deitch immediately received offers for contract work through his

professional network.

He continued to get enough freelance work to sustain a communications consulting business for nearly four years before he ended up

accepting a full-time position as marketing director.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000142405297020334710457810...

Tricks To Finding The Hiring Manager's Name
Contacting the hiring manager increases a job seeker’s visibility and success rate, but it’s hard to connect when you don’t know his

or her name. Control your destiny—and your ability to score interviews—by using these techniques to unearth the hiring manager’s

name.

http://news.dice.com/2012/11/21/how-to-find-hiring-manager-n...

Do You Not Play Well with Others?
Effective networking is a game-changer. It’s the unofficial homework of today’s business professional. Whether entwined within

charitable ventures or business or social clubs, professional connections are far more powerful career-builders than the old school

resume. It’s not just "who you know." It’s "who you know who knows who you want to know."

Most of us can navigate a room of name-tagged citizenry with reasonable success. But in this competitive world, why settle for

adequacy? Read on for a few of the ways some networkers relegate themselves to the no-man’s land of unanswered calls and discarded

business cards, and how they can improve.

http://www.salary.com/11%2Dnetworking%2Dmistakes/

Avoiding Pesky Recruiter Pitfalls on LinkedIn
Did you ever hear the old saying curiosity killed the cat? Did you know curiosity can be a time killer too, especially when it comes

to LinkedIn? Don’t let it be. O.K., so here’s my story:

I start noticing a couple of weeks ago, on LinkedIn, a recruiter is looking at my profile. Then I get a call from her. “John this is

xyz”. Blah, blah, blah. We’re the 17th largest recruiting firm in the city. We’ve got a position we think you might be interested

in. OK, I’m thinking, this is strange: this recruiter doesn’t know who I am? We both attend one of the most exclusive networking

groups in the city. I politely reminded her who I am. She apologizes. We’re not off to a good start. Some would have stopped

right here. However, I decide to give her a break. I want to see where this is going to lead.

http://sparkyourlinkedin.wordpress.com/2012/11/26/avoiding-p...

Is Your Accent Hurting Your Career?
For Tony Danza, having a thick regional accent keeps him working. But for the rest of us who are interviewing and looking for jobs,

sounding like Snooki from Jersey Shore or Matt Damon when he played that "wikkid smaht kid," is not helpful.

Research indicates human resource professionals hold biases against different accents, and it affects their decisions.

But which accents are the worst offenders and what can you do to make sure you avoid being screened out simply for the way you talk?

Read on, we've got you covered.

http://www.salary.com/is-your-accent-hurting-your-career/

Fuskie
Who thinks LinkedIn's recent feature introduction of Endorsements has backfired as he is being endorsed by people who he has never worked with and don't know anything about his skills or experience, making the growing list of endorsements he is collecting pretty much meaningless...
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Managing Your Wealth
Our own TMFHockeypop from Rule Your Retirement fame on the TV show Managing Your Wealth.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Apple

The Saddest Place on iPhone Day
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement