Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: haywool Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 3124  
Subject: Future engines ... Date: 4/9/2013 7:37 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey there ! (hum)

"All the rage" in energy efficient engines seems to be natural gas in either liquid or compressed states. Visit WPRT.

So what about ocean going ships? Will WPRT soon be building or updating a ship's powerplant to use LNG or CNG? As I see it, the fuel tank would need to as big as the ship to make a trip across the big pond.

Rich (haywool)
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Hohum777 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2848 of 3124
Subject: Re: Future engines ... Date: 4/9/2013 12:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hey there ! (hum)

"All the rage" in energy efficient engines seems to be natural gas in either liquid or compressed states. Visit WPRT.

So what about ocean going ships? Will WPRT soon be building or updating a ship's powerplant to use LNG or CNG? As I see it, the fuel tank would need to as big as the ship to make a trip across the big pond.

Rich (haywool)

Hi Haywool,
Been a long while. I don't believe anyone has anything working trans-Atlantic quite yet,
but that doesn't mean they aren't working on it. There is a US based company that is
looking to convert a couple of existing ships to LNG power- Totem Ocean Transport Express.
They currently serve the Washington - Alaska route/market.

Print the post Back To Top
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement