Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: MayaMcD One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 174  
Subject: future of FAF Date: 11/19/2005 12:11 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
All this talk about housing bubbles bursting, with the implication that this will bode poorly for FAF.

Now, I'm about as doom and gloom as you can get when it comes to the overleveraged public with no home equity and high mortgages. I was in a tiny Kansas town last week and saw the cutest 1930's bungalow with a 4 car garage and a double corner lot. It was in foreclosure for $24,500. (it needed about $12,000 in repairs). I was talking to the broker about this house, because--- well, because it was the cost of a car. He said that they've had record high foreclosures this past year, and it was only getting worse. They've been incredibly busy. The title insurance for all these homes was provided by FAF, who would travel to each small town to do the research.

That got me thinking...

I don't mean to profit by other people's pain, but if all these people won't be able to afford their homes, someone* is going to acquire it, right? Either through sale or foreclosure. It shouldn't really matter to the title companies how much the homes sell for. So, while I can think of other stocks that I might hesitate to invest in, I'm wondering if I even have to worry about my FAF...

What do you think?

-Maya
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (2) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Pencils of Promise - Back to School Drive
"Pencils of Promise works with communities across the globe to build schools and create programs that provide education opportunities for children."
Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

IBM: Is Buffett Wrong, or Brilliant?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement