UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: kentm401 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2167  
Subject: FWIW Date: 5/1/2006 1:40 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Nicked: but I'm sure "our" fund managers were all prepared for this?...;o) Ah yes the "beauty" of "globilization" investing.

Author: sano Number: of 145535
Subject: Bolivia grabs the gas Date: 5/1/06 1:29 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!

Recommendations: 0
16 minutes ago.....

LA PAZ, Bolivia - President Evo Morales nationalized Bolivia's natural gas industry Monday, ordering foreign energy companies to send their supplies to a state company for sales and industrialization.

Speaking at the southern San Alberto gas and oil field, Morales warned that companies who rejected the decree would have to leave Bolivia.

The main oil companies operating in Bolivia are Brazil's Petrobras, the Spanish-Argentine company Repsol YPF, British companies British Gas and British Petroleum, and France's Total.

Reminds me of Mexico and Telefonos de Mexico..... one day you own stock in TelMex, then boom, you own nada... then they privatize and sell stock again.

Or maybe not?

KBM (No position)

Print the post Back To Top
Author: theHedgehog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1352 of 2167
Subject: Re: FWIW Date: 5/1/2006 1:46 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
South American investments worry me more than any others. What surprises are in store in Venezuela?

Hedge

Author: kentm401 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1353 of 2167
Subject: Re: FWIW Date: 5/1/2006 1:49 PM
No one knows.....but I'll be following closely as I hold a tranch of COP (heavy crude E&P in Venezuela)

KBM O&G maven

Author: theHedgehog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1354 of 2167
Subject: Re: FWIW Date: 5/1/2006 1:53 PM
No one knows.....but I'll be following closely as I hold a tranch of COP (heavy crude E&P in Venezuela)

I have only one thing to say to you: Aaaaiiiieeeeeeeeee! :o) Fortunately, EEM holds no Bolivia and only 0.22% Venezuela.

Good luck.

Hedge

Author: rigoletto39 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1355 of 2167
Subject: Re: FWIW Date: 5/1/2006 2:18 PM
but I'll be following closely as I hold a tranch of COP (heavy crude E&P in Venezuela)

Speaking of COP - I inherited a few shares based on the BR I had.

Author: kentm401 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1356 of 2167
Subject: Re: FWIW Date: 5/1/2006 2:20 PM
Recommendations: 1
"I Know" Aaaaiiiieeeeeeeeee! :o)

It's not luck I need, rather just paying attention to the "noise". COP's been verdy verdy good to me for a very long time. Smart "crew", course then I've got Russia to worry about with them as well.....LOL Oh "H!" somedays it's just a dry hole in the "bidness"

KBM (since 1974)

Author: theHedgehog Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 1367 of 2167
Subject: Re: FWIW Date: 5/1/2006 5:15 PM
I see that the Bolivian president has ordered military occupation of the fields.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060501/ap_on_re_la_am_ca/bolivia_gas

Hedge

Author: scubaski Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2151 of 2167
Subject: Re: FWIW Date: 4/9/2012 9:02 AM
Just read that Argentina is going to follow this exact same path.
Makes you wonder who is behind this get rich quick scheme at the expense of thousands of everyday folks.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2152 of 2167
Subject: Re: FWIW Date: 4/9/2012 10:22 AM
Just like in this country, it's the wealthy "campaign contributors" (or "patrons") who support the officials. In this country we have the Koch brothers and a few others. Don't know who it is in Argentina, but there's someone equivalent pulling the strings.

Author: ziggy29 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2153 of 2167
Subject: Re: FWIW Date: 4/9/2012 5:14 PM
>> In this country we have the Koch brothers and a few others. <<

For equal time: George Soros.

Author: 1poorguy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 2154 of 2167
Subject: Re: FWIW Date: 4/9/2012 6:12 PM
For equal time: George Soros.

I don't think he's quite as active as the Koch's (who founded, and continue to fund, the Tea Party), but sure...why not.

He mostly seemed to want Dubya gone...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soros#Political_donations_and_a...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement