Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Philipo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 842  
Subject: Re: cut my losses? Date: 9/28/2004 8:35 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
FWIW I agree with rile172 - and when it's a market sector depression cycle, not in a TA sense but in the general consumer spending/semi-industry sense, I often consider buying....but then I never would have ridden through a large downward delta without diversifying into the cash to do so. You have to watch the changes in semi markets - they cycle with steps downward all too frequently. I solidified this observation a long time ago not only as a passive investor but as a EE working with semi equipment suppliers.

I figure you (we) do our fundamental research & pick good companies & interesting markets. I make buy/ sell rules and thresholds. Stick to them or make them dynamic but at least let them trigger the process of portfolio analysis. You can always revisit the thresholds or alarm rules later but at least set them to some level of comfort to take profits occasionally and stop gap losses. That's how I've made money off ADI (especially) and other semis for 18 years. ANY time I've ignored my own advice (above) I've really regretted it.
Just sharing FWLIW.
Gd luck,
B
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement