Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Esconopeles Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 5113  
Subject: FYI Date: 2/11/2010 4:32 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 2
Please Pass this field trip opportunity on to any interested homeschooling families

Marine Science Adventure Camp for Homeschoolers

This is a 2 day Marine Science Adventure course just for Homeschoolers held at the Marine Science Consortium. The consortium is located on Wallops Island, near the islands of Chincoteague and Assateague on Virginia Eastern Shore. It’s a gorgeous area and a fun science based camp for students and parents/teachers. The course is all inclusive; meals, lodging, supplies, activities and fieldtrips are all included in the cost. The attachments are informational flyers about the Homeschoolers Marine Science Workshop .

Marine Science Adventure Courses for Homeschoolers

Don't have a laboratory in your basement or an Oceanic Research
Vessel in your backyard? Don't worry, here at the Marine Science
Consortium we understand the challenges parents face when they teach
science in the home. The Marine Science Consortium is your resource
for bridging the gap between marine science curriculum and student
understanding. Our Homeschoolers Workshops are tailored for the
budding Marine Biologist in your home. Our workshops provide hands-on
observation of marine environments and life forms as well as time to
socialize with other young marine biologist.

The 2-day Coastal Ecology program includes the following field trips and classes:

Oceanography Research Cruise
We will take a research cruise through one of the most productive
ecosystems on earth! We will trawl to sample the myriad organisms
found in our estuary. Your naturalist will give you in-depth
background on the lifecycle and habits of the marine organisms
caught. You'll also learn about the salt marsh, one most productive
ecosystems on earth.

Intertidal Beaches
We will visit Tom's Cove and use seine nets and sieves for organism
collection. We will also spend time sampling for various
environmental parameters, species diversity, distribution, adaptation.

Organism Lab
In our exciting organism labs we will use Dichotomous keys, field
guides and microscopes to examine the various organisms, zooplankton
and phytoplankton collected in the field

Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge
During our visit to CNWR we will hear about the history of the
refuge, the successful population rehabilitation programs, and the
famous Wild Ponies of Assateague in a multimedia presentation from a
Fish and Wildlife Biologist and Educator! After that, tour the
visitor center's excellent exhibits before embarking on a journey
through the wilds of Assateague.

Dates:
05/11/2010-05/13/2010
11/16/2010 -11/18/2010

Ages:
9-15

Cost :
$95 per child /$65 Per Adult

Includes Meals, Lodging, Activities, Boat Trip, Materials, Take Home
Packet

Call 757-824-5636 to Register

Website : http://msconsortium.org/#/homeschoolers-marine-adventure/453...

HOMESCHOOLERS MARINE ADVENTURE SCHEDULE

Day 1
11:30 - 12:00 pm Check in with Special Programs Coordinator at MSC
12:30 pm Lunch
1:30 pm Orientation
Field Trip to the Chincoteague National Wildlife Refuge
5:30 - 6:30 pm Dinner in MSC's Cafeteria
7:00 - 9:00 pm Oceanographic equipment lecture

Day 2
7:30 - 8:30 AM Breakfast in MSC's Cafeteria
8:45 – 12:00 PM Oceanography Research Cruise
12:00- 1:00 PM Picnic Lunch
1:00 – 4:00 PM Intertidal Zone Lecture
5:30-6:30 PM Dinner in MSC's Cafeteria
7:00 - 8:30 PM Marco Organism Lab

Day 3
7:30 - 8:30 AM Breakfast in MSC's Cafeteria
9:30 Check out and Departure

(10:00 am for Families that would like to take the extra time - a last
day field trip to the NASA visitor center)

Since 1965 The Marine Science Consortium has educated and inspired
thousands of children, youth, and adults about the marine and coastal
ecosystems along the Mid-Atlantic Region through place-based, hands-
on experiences. The bays, marshes, beaches, maritime forests, and
off-shore waters of Virginia's Eastern Shore are The Marine Science
Consortium's classroom. Whether you are an individual interested in
learning more about coastal and marine systems or seeking to pursue a
career in marine sciences, The Marine Science Consortium offers a
wonderful variety of opportunities to meet your educational and/or
research goals.

Marine Science Consortium
7278 Enterprise St
Wallops Island, VA 23337
Telephone: 757-824-5636
Fax: 757-824-5638
specialprog@msconsortium.org
www.msconsortium.org
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: katiewa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5095 of 5113
Subject: Re: FYI Date: 2/11/2010 10:19 PM
Recommendations: 0
How good is this group? My daughter is interested in marine biology and might be interested in one of the summer camps.

Thanks.

Kathleen

Author: jrdown Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5096 of 5113
Subject: Re: FYI Date: 2/12/2010 4:05 AM
Gene ~

This is quite a bargain and sounds fun even for those not especially into marine science.

Thanks for sharing about this. You find good opportunities for all!

Robyn
P.S. - I love Virginia and it will be gorgeous in May.

Author: Esconopeles Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5097 of 5113
Subject: Re: FYI Date: 2/12/2010 11:21 AM
> I love Virginia and it will be gorgeous in May.<

I guess that will be payback for what they are enduring now. I'm heading out for Arizona on Tuesday to soak up some rays instead of the rain that is pelting the Oregon coast this week. Very wet!

Author: Esconopeles Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5098 of 5113
Subject: Re: FYI Date: 2/12/2010 11:45 AM
>How good is this group? My daughter is interested in marine biology and might be interested in one of the summer camps.<

I have not had any direct experience with this group, but I can offer a couple of observations. First, the announcement came to me through the National Marine Educators Association, a group I trust implicitly. I looked over the schedule of activities, and I don't see how one could go wrong. This looks like an exciting opportunity to me, but of course one student's excitement is another student's "borrrrr-ing!". As a middle school teacher, I know of what I speak.

Bottom line: If your daughter is interested in marine topics, biological or others, I don't think you can go wrong with a camp of this duration at the cost advertised. I would start by contacting the group and asking if they have a list of prior participants who could fill you in on particulars. Given the number of universities involved, I am sure the science will be good.

I like the look of some of the other course offerings. If I lived in that part of the world I would be all over the native tools workshop.

Author: katiewa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5099 of 5113
Subject: Re: FYI Date: 2/12/2010 1:41 PM
...I don't think you can go wrong with a camp of this duration at the cost advertised.

That's kind of what I was thinking. We've been trying to find stuff, but the only thing that really turned up so far was $5000 for 4 weeks--curriculum sounded great, but I can't do $5000!!

Thanks for the additional info.

Kathleen

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5100 of 5113
Subject: Re: FYI Date: 2/12/2010 7:52 PM
How good is this group? My daughter is interested in marine biology and might be interested in one of the summer camps.

We have one on the coast of Georgia and everyone that has been raves about it.
Kathleen

Author: katiewa Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5101 of 5113
Subject: Re: FYI Date: 2/12/2010 9:23 PM
Thanks! What's the name of yours?

Kathleen

Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 5102 of 5113
Subject: Re: FYI Date: 2/12/2010 11:20 PM
Thanks! What's the name of yours?

You would ask that part, wouldn't you?? <grin>

I think it's MRI or something similar. I can find out, but I don't remember off the top of my head. Sorry!
Kathleen

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement