Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
galagan writes:

If I can do this well by renting, then why would I ever sell my house to someone else who would take that profit opportunity away from me?

I'm not sure I understand your question. My assertion is that you do better by owning, not renting. Perhaps you could elaborate.

If rents are high enough to justify cash flows like this, why would your high-quality renter continue to rent?

Every market is different. My tenants are what I call renters of circumstance. They can afford to buy a house (and some own houses) but like the lifestyle that a single family home provides. They are in my area for 2-3 years working on a contract or some such thing and need a place temporarily. I fill their need. Many renter have difficulty living below their means. They just can't seem to get their act together to afford a house. I have a tenant like this right now. I suspect they will continue to make me wealthy for as long as I allow them to stay.

Regards,
FMO

Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement