UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: TMFHockeypop Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 20733  
Subject: Galapagos/Machu Picchu Date: 10/10/2013 4:56 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Retirement has actually given me LESS time to post than when I was working. Didn't expect that. But would like any feedback on our 2014 upcoming trip.

We just booked our trip to the Galapagos Islands and then a trip to Peru and Machu Picchu. We're flying into Lima (where we'll spend a couple of days) and out of Quito. Perhaps like Jeff we're trying to hit our bucket list vacations in the order of Most Active/Most Recent to later/aging.

Unlike our Australia trip this year we decided that do it yourself was NOT best. So after much research we decided middle ground in this area was Overseas Adventure Travel (Oats).

Key factors for the choice included:
-- time/meals spent in local homes;

-- in the Galapagos, more time spent on land at night than small ships/yachts (I get seasick);

-- no hiking the Inca Trail. This was a major battle between DW and me. I REALLY wanted to spend about four days (26 miles) trekking, and she insisted that she didn't marry me to walk three to six hours a day at 7,000 to 13,000 feet WITH a small backpack, even with lots of help. So, we aren't;

-- We'll be gone for about 18 days BUT that's really pretty short for both places. No Lake Titicaca side trip for instance and we won't hit all the Galapagos Islands (we were invited by friends to go on a yacht that visits them all with great snorkling). But we finally decided to hit both for a shorter time and then go back later if we liked.

We still have one week to back out, so any input would be appreciated. FWIW we found airfares to the region remarkably inexpensive and decent opportunities to upgrade to first class using "only" 35k miles (flying United).

2015 is scheduled for an international meeting in So. Korea. Suggestions on side trips to Cambodia/Vietnam, China, or Japan (we probably can't do all -- like Jeff ;-) are welcome.

Bob .. who should have known retirement/volunteering would be so busy?
RYR Home Fool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (3) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Intel's Broadwell Potential
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement