UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (46) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 744131  
Subject: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/11/2002 7:36 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 24
I just got back from a LONG three month vacation to the USA. All time was spent in three states: CA, NV, and AZ.

Although I ran into many brainless conservative yahoo headcount, I'm happy to report that almost all of the educated Americans I met are very sceptical of the US govt's present foreign policy.

My faith in the American people has been restored. I predict that this ridiculous war on terrorism will have a very short shelf life and that GWB will be a one-term president.

God bless America and vote Hillary Rodham Clinton for president in 2004!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: fietser Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63419 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/11/2002 8:00 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 16
Welcome back Galeno, I and some others missed you!

Fietser

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63421 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/11/2002 8:21 PM
Recommendations: 5
fietser wrote:
Welcome back Galeno, I and some others missed you!

Thank you my friend. I hope to liven this place up a bit as usual with my keen and astute observations of the American animal <grin>.

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63422 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/11/2002 8:23 PM
Recommendations: 3
joelxwil wrote:
Well, you are total garbage, Galeno. We are doing the right thing, and what do you have to offer? Nothing at all. You have been talking to the scum, the dregs of American society. People like you, in other words. We are civilization, and what do you have to offer? Nothing at all. Drop dead, you worthless piece of garbage.

Doth this lady protest to much oh potus????

Author: madmikeyd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63423 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/11/2002 8:31 PM
Recommendations: 45
>Well, you are total garbage, Galeno. We are doing the right thing, and
>what do you have to offer? Nothing at all. You have been talking to the
>scum, the dregs of American society. People like you, in other words. We
>are civilization, and what do you have to offer? Nothing at all. Drop
>dead, you worthless piece of garbage.

I did not agree with all Galeno said, but this is the sort of mindless s*** which makes me ashamed to be American.

Cheers,
madmikeyd
(Supports the war on terror. Opposes knee-jerk jingoism.)

Author: ayduda Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63428 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/11/2002 9:30 PM
I did not agree with all Galeno said, but this is the sort of mindless s*** which makes me ashamed to be American.

You're not taking Galeno seriously? Please.

He is just trying to get a rise off the board. Well, to me, he is just a "pedo atorrado." They're the worst kind.

ayduda

Author: DuckInMyPants Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63429 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/11/2002 9:42 PM
Recommendations: 4
I predict that this ridiculous war on terrorism will have a very short shelf life and that GWB will be a one-term president.

I was with you 100% until you mentioned Hillary. As much as I hate GWB, picking Hillary isn't much better than keeping GWB. I see her as an opportunistic carpetbagger, just hopping into politics for the power. I would have taken her more seriously if she went back to Arkansas and represented them instead of New York.

Al? Has too much "Bill Clinton" association, but the only way he would win in 2004 is if the war ended this year to have enough time for the public to forget a war victory by GWB. (Probably how George "the Elder" got booted in '92, right?)

Daschle? Too many enemies, too much mud available to use against him.

Gephardt? Maybe. Hasn't stuck his neck out far enough to get his foot in his mouth.

But then again, I'm not really favoring Democrats myself. Again, I will probably vote third party, if not to hope that it accomplishes a real victory, it is simply a sign I wish to show that I'm not happy with either party.

Ralph or Ross in 2004?

DIMP

Author: foolishcase Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63430 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/11/2002 10:12 PM
Recommendations: 1
Galeno finishes his inaugural post upon his return with:

Galeno,

Before we vote her into office, can we wait until she wises up and gets a new partner to join her in the White House? I could tolerate her a lot better as President if she showed some judgement in the type of people she associates with.

The thought of "Playboy Bill" as first gentleman gives me the shivers.

Welcome back! We've missed your humor and slightly skewed point of view. Somebody's got to keep us gringos honest!

Foolishcase

Author: madmikeyd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63431 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/11/2002 10:12 PM
>You're not taking Galeno seriously? Please.

Yes I did in fact, as Galeno represents sentiment I heard often in my years living abroad. As a good ambassador I did my best not to fuel the stereotypes.

Cheers,
madmikeyd

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63434 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/11/2002 11:31 PM
I've decided that in all future elections I'm going to vote straight Libertarian. When I first started voting I used all kinds of crazy schemes to pick people. Like the time I decided that the best thing was to have a "split" between the democrats and republicans (to neutralize each other) so I voted for Bill Clinton and then picked all republican senators and house representatives. Then there was the time that I went and flipped the tabs for every female on the board. Just because I was thinking that a woman would be more "gentle" and less likely to get us into war. Now, I'm going to vote Libertarian. - Art

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63435 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 12:28 AM
Recommendations: 8
ariechert writes,

I've decided that in all future elections I'm going to vote straight Libertarian. When I first started voting I used all kinds of crazy schemes to pick people. Like the time I decided that the best thing was to have a "split" between the democrats and republicans (to neutralize each other) so I voted for Bill Clinton and then picked all republican senators and house representatives. Then there was the time that I went and flipped the tabs for every female on the board. Just because I was thinking that a woman would be more "gentle" and less likely to get us into war. Now, I'm going to vote Libertarian. - Art

In this election, I'm voting for the candidate that took the least money from Enron or Arthur Andersen.

intercst

Author: jobobb One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63439 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 7:30 AM
Recommendations: 6
I think it's a hoot how people sprout fangs & grow hair on their knuckles at the mere mention of Hillary.

I see her as an opportunistic carpetbagger, just hopping into politics for the power.

And what politician does not meet that description, pray tell? <grin>

- jobobb

Author: peteyperson Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63440 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 7:32 AM
Recommendations: 2
If she gets in, America will be even more of a laughing stock that you were when Bush got in by jury rigging.

I cannot beleive Americans would be stupid enough to vote Ms Clinton into office. Oh hold on, what am I saying?

Of course you will!

Petey

Author: DuckInMyPants Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63441 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 7:45 AM
I think it's a hoot how people sprout fangs & grow hair on their knuckles at the mere mention of Hillary.

I'm not quite as loud about Hillary as some people I know. I just think it's quite shallow of her to meet the minimum requirements to run for office in another state and get in the way she did. She would have been more believable as someone who would support her constituents if she had run from Arkansas.

DIMP: I see her as an opportunistic carpetbagger, just hopping into politics for the power.

jobobb: And what politician does not meet that description, pray tell? <grin>

Well, Ralph Nader, for one, it appears to me. But I could be wrong. That is, someone who looks like they're actually going to do something when they get into office, as opposed to Bill Clinton. Ross Perot, perhaps, even. Once Bill got into office, he rode the good economic times and did very little else. Perot wants to eliminate lobbyists, that's such a real dent in the system that doesn't help "being in power", in fact it would tick everyone else in the political system off.

DIMP

Author: ResNullius Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63445 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 9:22 AM
Recommendations: 27
this is the sort of mindless s*** which makes me ashamed to be American.

Yes, mindless $hit is the price we pay for freedom of speech. What I don't understand, though, is why it's called mindless $hit to stand up for American, but it's called freedom of speech to tear it down.

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63447 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 9:42 AM
intercst wrote:
In this election, I'm voting for the candidate that took the least money from Enron or Arthur Andersen.

I'm with you bro. In fact, I changed my mind about Hillary. If you, intercst, ever decide to come out of retirment (as I have) I hope you go into politics.

Intercst for president!!

Author: Fbomb101 One star, 50 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63449 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 9:48 AM
Welcome back. I was beginning to think that you ran into some trouble.

Regards,

Keith Jones
Fbomb101

Author: tutone Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63451 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 10:28 AM
Recommendations: 21
I was really enjoying the civility around this board the last couple of months. Very little name calling. Lots of rational discussion. Then Galeno returns and immediate lays a turd on our living room carpet.

About time for another vacation, don't you think? How about a nice trek around the people's paradise of Cuba? I also hear that North Korea is lovely this time of year...

tutone

Author: MadCapitalist Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63452 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 10:34 AM
I predict that this ridiculous war on terrorism will have a very short shelf life

It would be ridiculous if we *didn't* have a war on terrorism. The only cheek we should be turning is our butt cheek, so the terrorists can kiss it.

Author: rkmacdonald Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63458 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 11:45 AM
Recommendations: 3
Author: galeno Date: 3/11/02 7:36 PM Number: 63417

You broke my computer!!

Author: nas90skog Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63481 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 5:07 PM
But then again, I'm not really favoring Democrats myself. Again, I will probably vote third party, if not to hope that it accomplishes a real victory, it is simply a sign I wish to show that I'm not happy with either party.

That rationale has its down side. Many people (actually too many) went to the polls up here with that in mind and the great state of Minnesota ended up with a numbnuts ex-wrestler for governor.

Author: madmikeyd Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63491 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 7:01 PM
Recommendations: 0
Yikes! In the time it took me to go to bed and go to work a post which I fully expected to get pulled has made me an inadvertant rec whore. There was just one comment in the thread that I wanted to respond to.

>Yes, mindless $hit is the price we pay for freedom of speech. What I
>don't understand, though, is why it's called mindless $hit to stand up
>for American, but it's called freedom of speech to tear it down.

Aside from the point that, IMHO, the person who responded to Galeno did not effectively 'stand up for America', of course mindless s*** is free speech, and I defend the right of anyone to spew it. Attacking free speech is one thing. Attacking, as I did, the content of another's free speech is quite another thing - and it is patriotic to do so IMHO. (I put Americans who have had the guts to criticize current US policy in category of patriots as well, even if I do disagree with them.)

Peace.

Cheers,
madmikeyd
(Hopefully back to lurking rather than posting OT for the time being. . .)

Author: markr33 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63493 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 7:09 PM

... and Global Crossing, Globastar, etc., and all the other failed companies.

Author: intercst Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63494 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 7:24 PM
Recommendations: 8
nas90skog writes,

<<<<But then again, I'm not really favoring Democrats myself. Again, I will probably vote third party, if not to hope that it accomplishes a real victory, it is simply a sign I wish to show that I'm not happy with either party.>>>>

That rationale has its down side. Many people (actually too many) went to the polls up here with that in mind and the great state of Minnesota ended up with a numbnuts ex-wrestler for governor.

I have to bow to the wisdom of the Minnesota voters on this one.

I'd take Governor "Numbnuts" over any of the Republican or Democratic offerings in Minnesota or any of the other 49 states.

intercst

Author: cosmos284 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63495 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 7:37 PM

I'd take Governor "Numbnuts" over any of the Republican or Democratic offerings in Minnesota or any of the other 49 states.

I didn't vote for our strange governor, but I'm glad he won. Jesse has shaken things up a bit and it's no longer politics as usual, however; it is still politics <grin>. Jesse says what he believes and believes what he says, unlike most other politicians. He plays less games than other politicians. While several of our legislators are actively running for governor during our current legislative session, Jesse will not annouce his reelection plans until after the session adjourns.

Plus Jesse is a fiscal conservative and a social liberal, as am I. And that's an unusual combination to find in a politician.

Cosmos

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63499 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 8:41 PM
I've decided that in all future elections I'm going to vote straight Libertarian.

I bet some of the Florida voters wanted to make a "statement" with their presidential votes and went Libertarian, or went with Nader. Some of those people who thought their vote "didn't really count" would like to have a do-over.

Then there was the time that I went and flipped the tabs for every female on the board. Just because I was thinking that a woman would be more "gentle" and less likely to get us into war.

I don't really believe this stereotype, but let's imagine for a moment that it's true. Is the best way to stay out of a fight really to just give in to the slightest pressure? Are we more secure if enemies know that if they hurt us, we'll always run away?

Author: TheBreeze Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63500 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 8:42 PM

It would be interesting to see just how low a bar she'd have for purchasing pardons.

Author: nas90skog Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63503 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 9:04 PM

I see that you are another product of the national media who are so in love with this spectacle as a means of propping up their ratings.

I didn't vote for our strange governor, but I'm glad he won. Jesse has shaken things up a bit and it's no longer politics as usual, however; it is still politics <grin>. Jesse says what he believes and believes what he says, unlike most other politicians. He plays less games than other politicians. While several of our legislators are actively running for governor during our current legislative session, Jesse will not annouce his reelection plans until after the session adjourns.

Plus Jesse is a fiscal conservative and a social liberal, as am I. And that's an unusual combination to find in a politician.

I thought it was going to be a breath of fresh air as well until he opened his mouth. IMO the politics have become worse because of his inability to play with the other kids. A leader promotes cooperation, not adversity, or has the political savvy to get things done. The latest butt kicking the legislature gave him shows that he possesses none of the above. As the budget surpluses that he rode in on subside and things get tough, his loud mouth routine grows old and ineffective. He panders to the notion that the solutions to all of our problems are simple and straight forward. People like to hear that because most of us don't have the time or desire to mess with complex issues. The only reason he isn't announcing his reelection plans is that he wants to have a better sense of whether he will have a chance to win. If there is any chance he will lose, his ego won't let him run. Of course, he will attribute it to the needs and desires of Mrs. V.

As far as integrity and speaking his mind, he was elected on tax reduction and giving back the surplus, and now the first thing out of his mouth when times are a little tougher, is lets raise taxes. Anybody can say whats on their mind. Mature adults usually take into account the thoughts and feelings of others as a sign of mutual respect. The only thing he respects is his bank book and his unending narcissistic need for attention.

A recent article in a local paper quoted his campaign consultant as stating that if they could again manage to get the 18-21 year old male wrestling fans out of bed in time to vote in the coming election they might have a chance.

I understand that he is entertaining, which led to the coining of the term "politainer", but it concerns me that, particularly in light of recent events, we aren't inclined to take our leadership needs a bit more seriously.

The guy barely graduated from high school, lays claim to being a SEAL when he really isn't, was a joke of a wrestler and had a half baked radio show that criticized politicians. Now when the radio shows and papers do that to him, he behaves like a school yard bully, and when they continue to make mincemeat of him, he goes home and pouts. The only way he knows is the way of brute force which doesn't work once you get off the playground. You might win a battle or two, but I think we mostly agree, that in the longer run, its brains over brawn. IMO, the only reason that people give him some credit is that they don't want to admit that they are part of a society that put this bonehead in a position of leadership. What are we teaching our kids?

Author: allan152 Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63504 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 9:15 PM
Recommendations: 6
I predict that this ridiculous war on terrorism will have a very short shelf life and that GWB will be a one-term president.

This "ridiculous war on terrorism" is not so ridiculous to those who lost friends and loved ones on Sept.11 and the attacks prior to that day. As far as a one-term presidency, keep dreaming. The democrats know that they are dead in the water come election time after the war goes well and the economy recovers. They will try to block any legislation that will help strengthen the economy like the larger tax break that the Republicans tried to pass so that they can continue their scare tactics and keep the poor dependent on the government so that they will always vote for them. No matter what they do however, will be in vein because of the two factors I mentioned already.

Author: dukeandduke Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63507 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 10:01 PM
nas90skog - You might win a battle or two, but I think we mostly agree, that in the longer run, its brains over brawn.

That is why he is now known as Jesse "The Mind" Ventura.

Get your facts straight :)

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63510 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/12/2002 11:06 PM
Recommendations: 10
I'm baaaaaccck.......from another adventure.....

Just back from 3 weeks in Galeno's Costa Rica. Let's see....what happened there?

One taxi driver tried to rip off friend, saying meter which said 1000 was $10.00 US, when it was 1000 colones, or $3. Hmmm...

Another taxi driver had the meter go to 600 colones, and then turned off the meter in front of me, and tried to charge me $15 for a 2 mile trip. He got his $1.80 and not a penny more......bunch of crooks out to rip off visitors...... widespread.......

And of course bars and big fences everywhere.....little fortresses every 50 feet going down the street......in all the towns and villages....

The nice taxi drivers will clean you out.... everyone else is great, nice, friendly, and honest, it seems....just don't leave anything not locked up, or it will be gone.....

BUt I didn't go there for that - I went there to visit the world's largest unihabited island, the place that inspired Robert Lewis STevenson's Treasure Island....and where scenes in Jurassic Park where filmed......bet Galeno hasn't been there.....

Spent 2 absolulely fascinating weeks on Cocos Island, without a newpaper, TV, or broadcast radio......busy as heck having the adventure of my life with 13 other team members......375 miles from anywhere.....tropical rainforest jungle island.......see telegraph's great adventure at www.qsl.net/ti9m/ if you have some free time. If you want a thrill ride, try going on a Zodiac boat....wow!.....what a way to get to and from 'work'.

I was wondering if I was ever going to get as involved in something as I had at work...which at times had been very satisfying when projects finally came to fruition after months and months of really hard work.....Well, this was the answer - one of the highlights of my life and an adventure never to be forgotten.......

And then back to the board...which hasn't changed a whole lot in a month.....

Yep, sounds like Galeno would have joined the draft dodgers heading north in 1960s...... my impression of his being a 'peacenik'...give the enemy (terrorists) anything they want as long as they don't blow up Costa Rica and his house..... sorry, I don't buy that, and I'll support the war against the Saddams and Mullahs who fully intend to do harm to us..... you can barely find a newspaper to read in C.R., so I guess they don't have to worry about freedom of press...and their TVis mainly satellite TV stations brought in from everywhere else.....CNN, MSNBC, ABC, Fox, BBC, Germany.....

Not much else seen to get excited about on the board.....

Author: MDCigan Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63519 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/13/2002 4:37 AM
Recommendations: 29
<<Yes, mindless $hit is the price we pay for freedom of speech. What I don't understand, though, is why it's called mindless $hit to stand up for American, but it's called freedom of speech to tear it down.>>

Amen, brother. Wish I could have rec'ed your post many more times. Typically, I think I have a sense of humor where I don't take stuff too seriously (heck, I'm a Howard Stern fan), but frankly I didn't find that dummy website that Intercst posted funny at all. This is SERIOUS SH*T we are dealing with here. There are a bunch of lunatic terrorists in this world who don't give a second thought to murdering innocent people. Your father, your mother, your wife, your brother, your best friend, your son or daughter might just be the next one on that plane that blows up, building that gets bombed, etc. This is not a frickin joke. I think there are some people out there who need to see those planes crashing into the WTC towers everyday to remind them just what the h*ll this is all about. Those "educated" people Galeno ran into in CA, NV, or wherever who "question" U.S. foreign policy regarding the war on terrorism are ivory tower academic types with their heads in their @$$es. I for one am sure glad that this war on terrorism is being run by George Bush, Dick Cheney, Donald Rumsfeld, etc. instead of Al Gore or Hilary Clinton who probably wouldn't have had the guts to take serious action.

Author: ogrecat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63524 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/13/2002 8:09 AM
The guy barely graduated from high school, lays claim to being a SEAL when he really isn't,

http://www.cyberseals.org/jesse.htm

==A source at the Naval Special Warfare Command states:

Our take is that Jesse Ventura is a SEAL. He even did his reserve time in SEAL Team ONE. He earned and wears the Trident....Captain Larry Bailey is probably the best guy to talk to about this, but OFFICIALLY, we think it's splitting hairs by Salisbury. The Navy considers Jesse Ventura to be a former SEAL. Hope that helps. ==

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63531 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/13/2002 9:23 AM
intercst wrote:

I agree. I watched him on CNN this Sunday. He's really into this War on Terrorism (which I'm not of course) but the guy is a real straight-shooter. He can be president of Costa Rica anytime as far as I'm concerned.

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63532 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/13/2002 9:32 AM
telegraph wrote:
Yep, sounds like Galeno would have joined the draft dodgers heading north in 1960s...... my impression of his being a 'peacenik'...give the enemy (terrorists) anything they want as long as they don't blow up Costa Rica and his house..... sorry, I don't buy that, and I'll support the war against the Saddams and Mullahs who fully intend to do harm to us..... you can barely find a newspaper to read in C.R., so I guess they don't have to worry about freedom of press...and their TVis mainly
satellite TV stations brought in from everywhere else.....CNN, MSNBC, ABC, Fox, BBC, Germany.....

Hey, I'd love to be a draft dodger! Now, if we'd only had an army to draft dodge. Dang! Oh well, you can't always get what you want <grin>.

Author: nas90skog Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63536 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/13/2002 10:53 AM
I agree. I watched him on CNN this Sunday. He's really into this War on Terrorism (which I'm not of course) but the guy is a real straight-shooter. He can be president of Costa Rica anytime as far as I'm concerned.

Reminds me of the time I was meeting with a cardiac surgeon. In the midst of our meeting he took a couple of minutes to talk with one of his patients over the phone. After several minutes, he finally concludes the conversation and says with obvious exasperation, "She reads an article in Reader's Digest and thinks she's a freakin' heart surgeon. Had I known that, I could have saved myself 15 years of training!"

The point being that anybody can buff up for a 5 minute interview with CNN where they lob him gopher balls to swing at. His war on terrorism among other things consists of increasing his security detail because he thinks he is a target, and trying to ram through his tax increases by accusing those who oppose him as being unpatriotic.

There are reasons why recent polls show that his approval rating has dropped immensely from its high of 70+% to where less than 29% polled would vote for him again.

I can think of no better gift for our Costa Rican troll than to send "the mind" in his direction.

I stand corrected on his affiliation with the SEAL's.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63537 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/13/2002 10:53 AM
Recommendations: 11
galeno:Hey, I'd love to be a draft dodger! Now, if we'd only had an army to draft dodge. Dang! Oh well, you can't always get what you want <grin>.

Yep, the folks in Costa Rica freeload, hoping that the United States will rescue them should someone decide to invade them...and their neighbors are continually fighting rebel forces, and refugees flood into C.R. So C.R. has no 'army'? I guess if you can freeload, you don't have to pay taxes to support an army......but you just better hope that the good folks in the US, after you bash us day after day, will come to your rescue...... and I guess it helps if you don't have a lot of natural resources that others covet.

Then again, who knows...in a few years, you might be looking to be the 51st or 53 rd state, so you too can go on 'welfare' since the average income is so low there. The roads in most cities haven't been repaired since the day they were built. You don't have to worry about speed limits, since you aren't going more than 5 or 10mph down most city streets. Low taxes mean just about no public services, and the school system is a real disaster as far as quality education.

However, other than those from the US , who go there for the cheap living (and freeloading on defense spending/protection), the rest of the folks in Costa Rica are hard working, enthusiastic, friendly people that make visiting Costa Rica a real pleasure. Fun to visit. Good food, lots to see.

I'm not sure I'd want to live there.....even though you can do so for well under 1/2 of what you pay here. If you are not comfortable with the culture, your circle of friends consists of relocated Americans, likely with American recreation and eating habits - which run up your expenses quickly.....

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63555 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/13/2002 6:28 PM
"would be more "gentle" and less likely to get us into war. Now, I'm going to vote Libertarian. - Art

In this election, I'm voting for the candidate that took the least money from Enron or Arthur Andersen."

If it helps you to vote, I GUARANTEE that NO LIBERTARIAN has taken money from Enron or Arthur Andersen, whereas essentially ALL Democrats and Republicans have2.

jb

...who is going to vote Libertarian early and often this year
( www.lp.org )

Author: KeithJM Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63556 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/13/2002 6:38 PM
If it helps you to vote, I GUARANTEE that NO LIBERTARIAN has taken money from Enron or Arthur Andersen, whereas essentially ALL Democrats and Republicans have2.

But that's probably because Enron and AA only donated money to people who had a chance to win an election.

Author: Commodore64 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63558 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/13/2002 6:41 PM
I suspect you'll find that enron donated to candidates who had little or no chance of winning- they donate to major party candidates who really have no chance of winning just to keep the party happy.

jb

Author: galeno Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63561 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/13/2002 7:28 PM
telegraph wrote re galeno:
......but you just better hope that the good folks in the US, after you bash us day after day, will come to your rescue......

I don't bash the good folks in the USA. Just the bad ones <grin>.

Author: PK227 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63718 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/16/2002 1:16 AM
I live in AZ and we just returned from being gone for a month. When we got ready to leave the airplane, we were amused to see that the jetway was about 8 inches below the plane causing you to step down when exiting. I loved it and announced...WE"RE HOME. Only in Arizona are they so stupid that they can't even get the jetway to evenly meet the airplane. We also spend 5 months of the year in California. It's kind of like being on a different planet. Watching the news on tv and reading newspapers is very entertaining. Loved hearing why the citizens of San Diego HATE Sea World because they are scaring the dolphins and their fireworks over the water are destroying the atmosphere. Also loved hearing why it was ok for the California government to ban the energy companies from purchasing long term contracts for energy until the prices went sky high and then it was the Federal Govt's fault when the Gov. Davis purchased the same banned contracts at the highest prices in history...and locked them in for 10 years!! Everyone should spend a few weeks in the People's Republic of California just to see where we could all go if we're not careful. I'd be a little leery of the information you gathered from CA, AZ and NV Galeno.

Author: dukeandduke Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63797 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/17/2002 9:05 PM
We also spend 5 months of the year in California. It's kind of like being on a different planet. Watching the news on tv and reading newspapers is very entertaining. Loved hearing why the citizens of San Diego HATE Sea World because they are scaring the dolphins and their fireworks over the water are destroying the atmosphere. Also loved hearing why it was ok for the California government to ban the energy companies from purchasing long term contracts for energy until the prices went sky high and then it was the Federal Govt's fault when the Gov. Davis purchased the same banned contracts at the highest prices in history...and locked them in for 10 years!!

Neither of the Dukes will ever step foot into the peoples republic of california, not even for a stop over.

Duke and Duke - Who aren't the only ones who wish Lex Luther well in his quest to nuke the San Andreas fault line and sink California into the Pacific Ocean where it belongs :)

Author: golfwaymore Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63942 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/20/2002 11:48 PM

Out of curiousity, is Minnesota worse off today than when numbnuts took office? And if so, are those things directly attributable to numbnuts.

Golfwaymore,
A long way from Minnesota

Author: golfwaymore Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63943 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/20/2002 11:58 PM
Then there was the time that I went and flipped the tabs for every female on the board. Just because I was thinking that a woman would be more "gentle" and less likely to get us into war.

My wife and I discovered that she and almost all of her friends experience PMS in unison at the same time each month. In other words, their cycles are pretty much synchronized. My wife's OB/GYN told her that there is a large majority of women everywhere who are "synchronized".

If there's any truth to this, I'll bet you could pick the few days that a woman would declare war if given the power. <grin>

Golfwaymore

Author: nas90skog Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 63954 of 744131
Subject: Re: Galeno's Assessment of USA Date: 3/21/2002 10:17 AM
Out of curiousity, is Minnesota worse off today than when numbnuts took office? And if so, are those things directly attributable to numbnuts.

He rode in here with a huge surplus that he wanted to rebate and ultimately did. He also promised to not raise taxes. Three years later his proposal to overcome the deficit by raising a number of consumption taxes was vetoed and the legislature's proposal that he vetoed was overridden. I suspect that much of that could be attributed to circumstances beyond his control, but on the other hand, his job is to lead, not fragment.

Its hard to judge whether we are worse off, because we don't know what the candidate he beat could have accomplished. We can surmise that at least one of the other candidates would have spent far more time on state's business and far less on self interests. He wouldn't have alienated both sides of the legislature, quarantined the local press, turned education budgets upside down or changed auto license fees in a way that is now leading to a .07 cent a gallon gas tax increase.

You want him, you can have him.

I understand many of you out there find him of interest. I would be willing to bet however, that if you were heavily invested in some $20 billion corporation and woke up one morning to find that he was the new ceo, any research you would do into his background would lead you to invest elsewhere.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (46) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement