GalinAZI have a Roth with a stock that shows a (for me) considerable loss. It was a takeover. I stopped the dividends from being reinvested as the stock is unlikely to ever make up the loss in increased price and I take the dividends in the Roth in cash.Unfortunately, I have all too much experience with selections in a qualified account (IRAs) going south. What I have decided, and this is just sharing my own thoughts not rendering advice, is that the choice is always one of prioritizing opportunities.By that I mean that if I would not put any new money into a particular investment, I have to rethink whether I want to keep existing money invested there. Since losses in a Roth usually have no part in the investment decision (i.e. usually I can't take them off of income or other capital gains), this boils down to the question: "Is this the highest and best use of my money today?" If I don't know the answer, then I consult with someone who can help me. If I do know the answer, and the answer is not only "No" but "Heck No!!", then for me it moves to the struggle of selling at a loss versus keeping and hoping. I have found that the field of investing is a barren field when it comes to hope as a strategy. I have also found that once I sell a dog of an investment, there is a burden lifted from my mind that I didn't even know I was carrying around.So, to sum up, I would evaluate whether this company is worth new money. If it is not, then I'd get out of it and research other opportunities to employ that capital. If I am unsure of what to do and my confidence is shaken, I would consult with someone that I trust before doing anything. But hoping for the best is usually not a very fruitful deployment of capital.Poz
Best Of |
Favorites & Replies |
Start a New Board |
My Fool |
BATS data provided in real-time. NYSE, NASDAQ and NYSEMKT data delayed 15 minutes.
Real-Time prices provided by BATS. Market data provided by Interactive Data.
Company fundamental data provided by Morningstar. Earnings Estimates, Analyst Ra