UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37183  
Subject: Game on Date: 8/20/2012 8:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
So I decluttered 150+ boxes over the last couple of years, and now I'm getting to the nitty gritty of what is left. Which basically means my office and my closet. Neither is terribly cluttered, both are functional, but both could be better. I'm not much of a minimalist even after all I've gotten rid of, but I'm definitely not a clutterer anymore, either. I'd say I'm on the decluttered end of normal.

Back to my closet. I did just pull a large bag of clothing out of there, and I don't see much else happening until we know for sure we are done having children and I can get rid of my maternity and post-maternity wardrobe. So I feel like I'm at a standstill there. For now.

My office, though, is another story. I haven't spent much time in there in a long time. Stuff goes in to be dealt with, and gets dealt with.... Eventually. Over the weekend I spent probably a half a dozen hours in there updating YNAB, filing papers, tossing lots of papers into the trash or the shred pile, putting children's art projects away, etc. I also have the goal of getting everything off the floor that doesn't belong on the floor. I did accomplish part of that goal by removing my old printer and scanner from the shelves (replaced months ago by a combination machine that is AWESOME!) and using that shelf space for things that had been on the floor. And another part of that goal was accomplished by removing a few items that just don't belong in my office and need to go elsewhere in the house.

Somehow, though, all the great work I've done in my office doesn't feel satisfying, and I'm not sure why. It looks okay. I've almost got everything off the floor. I've decluttered a ton of stuff from in there. It's got everything in there that I want in there (books, home office stuff, and art supplies).

Anyways, anyone have some suggestions for my office? I'm not sure if it needs a little sprucing up or more decluttering or if I just need a good night's sleep. Sigh....

Cassandra
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: LaraAmber Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35864 of 37183
Subject: Re: Game on Date: 8/21/2012 9:06 AM
Recommendations: 1
How is your home office decorated?

My office at work is dull. Black computer, black counter, gray walls for the cubicle, black stapler. You get the idea. By adding some splashes of color I was able to take my desk from "my little daytime prison" to "tolerable". It may be you need to stop decluttering and look around with a design eye. Maybe it's time to frame some great photos and put them on the wall, buy some cute desk accessories like a purple tape dispenser, get a full spectrum desk lamp, etc. Maybe some curtains for the windows. A big comfy chair & footrest.

Do you have an iPod dock or stereo in your office?

Lara Amber

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35866 of 37183
Subject: Re: Game on Date: 8/22/2012 9:50 PM
Recommendations: 0
How is your home office decorated?

My office at work is dull. Black computer, black counter, gray walls for the cubicle, black stapler. You get the idea. By adding some splashes of color I was able to take my desk from "my little daytime prison" to "tolerable". It may be you need to stop decluttering and look around with a design eye. Maybe it's time to frame some great photos and put them on the wall, buy some cute desk accessories like a purple tape dispenser, get a full spectrum desk lamp, etc. Maybe some curtains for the windows. A big comfy chair & footrest.

Do you have an iPod dock or stereo in your office?

Lara Amber,

I have a couple of pictures up, one of my hubby, and one of Nate, a shelf with all my little 'altar' stuff on it, and a couple of little trinkets that mean something to me from my childhood or travels. It is a tiny little room-maybe 9'x10' and has shelving along both its real walls. The third wall has two windows, and the fourth wall is banister (it is a loft space). No door, either. I do plan to make some curtains to cover the shelving that I can see from my desk, and I think that will help me enjoy the space more.

There are sitters on the windows, so no need for curtains, and I think it would make me feel too enclosed in that little space. Definitely no room for a comfy chair and footrest, though that would be lovely!

I do have an iPod dock in my office, and using it is great! I also have a 13" color tv and a dvr in there, so I do have access to that, too.

I do think I need to spruce it up a little somehow. It feels too much like 'work' in there, and while it IS my home office, it is also my studio and creative space, so I need to love being in there!

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to give this some more thought....

Cassandra

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35867 of 37183
Subject: Re: Game on Date: 8/23/2012 2:00 AM
Recommendations: 3
Seriously? Auto correct 'corrected' shutters to sitters? Weird....

I figured out part of the issue. On the window wall, from left to right, there was a plastic set of drawers with all my office supplies in it, a wooden tv tray with the tv and dvr on it, two stackable baskets, and a bookshelf. I realized that it still felt like too much stuff was on the floor, so I moved the baskets, condensed a few things elsewhere, used one of the baskets to replace a plastic bin that had been behind my desk holding paper supplies, and put the other basket on the highest shelf on the bookcase holding spare 3-ring binders.

Sigh. It looks and feels much better in there. The baskets had been horizontal space that collected stuff on top of it, and now that isn't possible. The stuff in the baskets behind my desk looks much nicer because I got that plastic bin out of my office, and there is space around the tv tray and the set of drawers.

I pulled out the canvases I need for my next project, too, which is more of a crafts project than an art project, but it will be painting a friend's daughter's name on the canvases for her room. I've been trying to get it done for about a year now! Fortunately, the daughter is a toddler, and can't read yet. :)

I did also find a print of the Shenendoah Valley (where I grew up) to hang on the wall tomorrow. Been meaning to do that for four years! I think I have one other print of my hometown to hang up, but finding that will wait for another day.

Cassandra

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35869 of 37183
Subject: Re: Game on Date: 8/25/2012 1:45 AM
More progress in my office today.

I hung up the prints of my hometown on the wall while Lily was napping, partly because I wanted to get it done and partly because I wanted to see if the banging would wake her up. It did to, even though her room is right next to my office.

I also condensed more stuff today and that helped streamline things in there.

Then I pulled out the canvases for my friend's daughter's name, and figured out which font to use, how big to make the letters, and printed them off, matching each letter to each canvas and centering it on the canvas. Then Lily woke up and I had to get back to mothering. :) (Nate was playing downstairs while I did all this.)

Tonight I spent some time in ther balancing YNAB, while listening to music. I even lit a candle. It definitely feels better in there. More functional and more attractive. If I weren't so tired tonight I would have pinned the fabric to make the curtains to go over the bookshelves across from my desk. Perhaps over the weekend.

Cassandra

Author: yeilBagheera Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35872 of 37183
Subject: Re: Game on Date: 8/25/2012 1:59 PM
Recommendations: 1
Love the way you're gauging progress (by what you can do easily in the space, not just how it looks).
You're an inspiration.

YeilB

Author: CassWoman Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 35873 of 37183
Subject: Re: Game on Date: 8/25/2012 11:54 PM
Thanks, YeilB!

I have yearned for a space of my own since I had Nate, and after 4 years, its finally, slowly coming together.

Did nothing in there tonight, though, because we went to a kids's birthday party today and we are all PTO (plum tuckered out). Tomorrow I'll be watching an event streaming on the computer, so I'll be in there for the duration, and perhaps I'll pin my fabric while I watch. :)

Cassandra

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (7) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement