Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: tenamaxtli Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2767  
Subject: Games for 5 year-olds? Date: 6/17/2000 1:23 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello all:

I, too, love games. I'd like to get my five-year old daughter into them, too. Obviously, that shouldn't be a problem because she likes to play.

My problem is that I live in Japan, and although there is a huge Toys-R-Us nearby, most of the games are of the build 'em-up, knock 'em-down, air hockey, etc. variety. I was thinking more of a board game that would help her learn to think. the board games that they do have are for older kids (Life, Monopoly, etc.)

Does anyone have any suggestions? Something portable for the plane ride to the States next month would be helpful, too.

Jay in Japan
Print the post Back To Top
Author: thomasvgunn One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 82 of 2767
Subject: Re: Games for 5 year-olds? Date: 6/17/2000 2:45 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
checkers?

Author: DavidGardner Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member Supernova Odyssey 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 83 of 2767
Subject: Re: Games for 5 year-olds? Date: 6/17/2000 11:54 AM
Recommendations: 1
Jay,

A very fine game that combines Concentrationlike matching with deduction is the "The Secret Door," which I know is available on Amazon.com. A cooperative game, as well, and adults like it too!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000IUFA/

I'll have other suggestions, as I have a game-likin' 6-year-old daughter and at this age, she's starting to be able to play lots o' games.

Fool on!

David

Author: lacow Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 84 of 2767
Subject: Re: Games for 5 year-olds? Date: 6/17/2000 1:13 PM
Jay,

There's a card game called Slamwich that's fast-paced and fun, dealing with pattern recognition. It's not a board game, but it's easy to take on a plane.

It's also sold on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000DMFS/102-1503023-4989704

And, Battleship is very big at our house these days, my five-year old son can play it (he's not in Kindergarten yet) although the game is recommended for 7+.

Also, the new version of Battleship comes in closeable cases that are easy to take on trips:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00000DMBB/qid=961261592/sr=1-1/102-1503023-4989704

We haven't played The Secret Door, but it looks great, we're going to give it a try this summer! :)

Oh, and one more game, our kids, including the five-year old, really enjoy playing Mancala, and I understand that there are travel versions.

Best,

Lydia

Author: DavidGardner Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Supernova Phoenix 1
Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 85 of 2767
Subject: Re: Games for 5 year-olds? Date: 6/17/2000 2:44 PM
Lydia et al.,

Perhaps you're aware of this, but if not, you can play Mancala for free on the Internet at:

http://imagiware.com/mancala/

Fool on,

David

P.S. Yes, I like Slamwich, and from the same company (Gamewright) my daughter and I have enjoyed Frog Juice. All there on Amazon, etc.

Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 98 of 2767
Subject: Re: Games for 5 year-olds? Date: 6/21/2000 1:03 AM
When my kids were that age they really liked "Kids on Stage." You act out cards in three categories: animals, objects, and actions. The other players try to guess what you are acting out. No reading required, no keeping score. Just fun.

Vickifool -- whose youngest just turned 9.

Mission Team Member CAPS All Star Motley Fool One Everlasting Fool SN Explorer 1 Mission Team Member Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 99 of 2767
Subject: Re: Games for 5 year-olds? Date: 6/21/2000 3:49 PM
I second Vicki's recommendation, as this is a game my young children have enjoyed, as well.

Once they get to 6 or 7, I also like the following from Gamewright:

Frog Juice
Slamwich

Both are card games. The first involves simple math calculations, and some card strategy. The second reinforces pattern recognition and challenges dexterity.

Another really fun card game -- this one I got from www.funagain.com -- is a new one out called "Frank's Zoo." It's a trick-taking game where the elephant beats the lion and polar bear, but loses to the mouse. The mouse only beats the elephant. Etc. The artwork on the cards sets a light-hearted tone, and my children responded really intuitively to the concept of these animals as trick-takers.

Just got about 15 new games yesterday -- my largest order ever. I'll report more as I have time. Hope to hear from any of you who may have ordered and played Acquire for the first time... to see if you like it as much as I do!

Fool on!

David

Author: TMFCookie Three stars, 500 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 100 of 2767
Subject: Re: Games for 5 year-olds? Date: 6/22/2000 12:01 PM
When my sons were that young they actually liked Life (maybe because I liked it better than the Chutes & Ladders). They couldn't read but they understood my simplified rules (eliminated stocks). We actually wore out it out twice. They also liked Skip Bo and Yahtzee. You can try to simplify the rules for the harder games.

Author: casper47 Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 113 of 2767
Subject: Re: Games for 5 year-olds? Date: 6/29/2000 8:27 AM
Try Set.

Besides Cribbage, which I've used to teach counting and simple addition to alomst every kid I know, I would highly recommend Set. It is a deck of 81 cards (and it is easy to simplify to a deck of 27 cards for beginners) in three colors, three shapes, three shades and three numbers of the shapes. The trick is to quickly find "sets" of three that are either all the same or all different in each characteristic. To do that quickly and accurately is trickier than it sounds.

It is very good at sharpening abstract reasoning skills. It plays fast and youthful speed counterbalances adult pattern recognition abilities to even the playing field some. We first saw a group of college age kids playing it on a ferry. My mother has used it in a kindergarten math enrichment program and my daughter and her friends take it on the bus to high school away meets, so it plays well at all ages.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (9) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement