UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: deputac Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128677  
Subject: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 9:41 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Hello everyone. I've searched the discussion boards here but found nothing on point. I was hoping to get your opinion on choosing a garage door opener.

While I've figured out the different types out there, I was hoping to get some feedback on what people prefer for their homes. Although belt driven doors seem like the new, quiet alternative, chain ones appear to be the old reliable standard and I guess screws are an in-between. I'm not too concerned about the sound of the door so should I stick with one of the latter choices?

What about overall hp? Is there a huge difference between 1/2 and 3/4?

As for lights and security, they all appear to have little differences between each other.

Am I missing anything else when comparing?

I look forward to your views on this subject.

deputac
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49531 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 10:18 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Although belt driven doors seem like the new, quiet alternative, chain ones appear to be the old reliable standard and I guess screws are an in-between.

If the garage is under a bedroom that might make a difference. In our house it isn't, so it doesn't.

I recently replaced a Stanley with a Craftsman because the motherboard fizziled, and replacing it was almost as expensive as the new one.

However here is what I don't like about the new one. It uses "rolling codes", and it takes significantly longer to "accept" the signal. With the Stanley you just pushed the button, the response was instantaneous. Not a big deal when driving up the driveway, but twice, now, I have had to "reverse" because Mrs. Goofy's trunk was sticking out too far or something, and it reverse in barely the nick of time. I hate it. (The "non-rolling codes" worked just fine; I reset the dip-switches and felt perfectly safe about it.)

Also, with the rolling codes, neither Mrs. Goofy or I can use the embedded button in our cars, we have to carry the "clip on" remote from Craftsman. Not a big deal, maybe, except it leaves an indent on the visor, and we have 4 cars, so I had to buy extra remotes at $30 a whack.

Also, with the "rolling codes", I had to discard the external numeral keypad I already had and buy (for another $40 or so) the "special" keypad that worked with this model. (I love having an external keypad, BTW. Very handy for getting into the garage without having to walk through the house when I'm working in the garden, or whatever.)

We have a "heavy" garage door, wood frame, cedar siding, insulation on the back, and the 1/2 horsepower works fine. FWIW.

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49533 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 10:26 AM
Also, with the rolling codes, neither Mrs. Goofy or I can use the embedded button in our cars, we have to carry the "clip on" remote from Craftsman. Not a big deal, maybe, except it leaves an indent on the visor, and we have 4 cars, so I had to buy extra remotes at $30 a whack.

The embedded button on our Camry works just fine with the Craftsman opener with rolling codes.

IF

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49537 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 11:14 AM
The embedded button on our Camry works just fine with the Craftsman opener with rolling codes.

Hmpf. She has an Acura, I have an Infiniti. Neither one works. IIRC the instructions said the unit in the car must be "somethingorother equipped" and apparently neither one of these are.

They're a '99 and '97; maybe that has something to do with it?

Author: deputac Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49540 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 11:28 AM
I recently replaced a Stanley with a Craftsman

I'm actually looking to purchase a Craftsman (Sears has a sale this week) and was trying to distinguish the models.

I don't think the noise is going to be a problem, so I was looking at the chain and screw versions. Any differences between these models (e.g., reliability, speed, noise, etc.)?

deputac

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49546 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 11:48 AM
FWIW, I have a Sears chain opener from 30 years ago!.. 1/3 HP, 4.5 amps.. and it's been fine.. originally we had a tiltup door, replaced with a rollup several years back, no problem. I did get a balance spring cable tangled up a while back, but no problem with the opener.. It says Sears Digital on the cover, likely one of the early digital, little switches to set the code, works fine..

weco

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49548 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 12:15 PM
GoofyHoofy,

However here is what I don't like about the new one. It uses "rolling codes", and it takes significantly longer to "accept" the signal. With the Stanley you just pushed the button, the response was instantaneous.

The down-side to not using rolling codes is that anyone who really wants to can open your garage. There are plans available on the Internet to build a device that transmits every code. You just need parts from Radio Shack to build it. And it only takes a couple minutes for it to go through every possible code for all the usual frequencies and code lengths.

For what it's worth, the button in the Honda Pilot works with rolling code openers.

Phil

Author: Radish Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49549 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 12:20 PM
deputac,

I was hoping to get your opinion on choosing a garage door opener.

I like the Genie Excelerator. There's a maximum speed you can safely close a garage door at, and most openers use that speed both to close and to open the door. The Excelerator opens the door twice as fast as it closes it. Since I care how long it takes to open, and don't care how long it takes to close (although it closes just as fast as any other opener), that's an attractive feature for me.

Also, it uses the infamous rolling codes, which I consider to have more advantages than disadvantages.

It's not particularly cheap, but on the other hand you probably don't have to replace any reasonable quality opener very often.

Phil

Author: surfphoto Two stars, 250 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49577 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 3:08 PM
I recently replaced a 20+ year old craftsman with a brand new craftsman. Actually the old one was still working (except for the aftermarket outdoor key pad) but I was getting concerned about its useful life, etc., so when I replaced the door I replaced the opener. Both were/are chain drive and both 1/2 HP and I was very happy/am very happy in my decision. The old one lifted a heavy wooden door, the new one lifts a new fiberglass door. IIRC the new opener was a pretty good sale with two remotes, the outdoor keypad, the opener and the track for @150. At my fire department the maintenance man will only use Overhead Door openers. He swears by them. For residential use I couldn't really tell the difference.

surfphoto

Author: csp Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49581 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 3:29 PM
Hmpf. She has an Acura, I have an Infiniti. Neither one works. IIRC the instructions said the unit in the car must be "somethingorother equipped" and apparently neither one of these are.

There's a special procedure that you have to do in order to synchronize your car with the opener (or at least that's what I assume is happening). I thought for the longest time that the button in my wife's '98 Benz wouldn't work with our opener. When I bought my '02 Acura there was a section in the manual explaining what to do if you have a rolling code opener (no mention of this in the Benz manual). I don't remember exactly what you have to do, but I know it involved me climbing a ladder to push a button on the opener, then jumping down and running to the car as fast as I could to press more buttons.

Anyway, it worked great on the Acura so I decided to try it on the Benz, even though there is no mention of this procedure in it's manual, and it worked on it as well. If neither of your owner's manuals tells how to do this, I can look it up in mind and post it.

Author: Goofyhoofy Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49583 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 3:32 PM
Anyway, it worked great on the Acura so I decided to try it on the Benz, even though there is no mention of this procedure in it's manual, and it worked on it as well. If neither of your owner's manuals tells how to do this, I can look it up in mind and post it.

Not necessary, I already have it. In fact I had to follow this procedure to initialize the extra buttons (each) and the outside numeric keypad.

I note that your Acura is an '02 and hers is a '99. Maybe they figured it out in that time period. But what the heck, I'll go try it again anyway. It's been almost a year. Maybe the opener likes me better now.

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49588 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 3:46 PM
Recommendations: 2
I note that your Acura is an '02 and hers is a '99. Maybe they figured it out in that time period. But what the heck, I'll go try it again anyway. It's been almost a year. Maybe the opener likes me better now.

Obviously, the solution to your problem is buying new cars. The dented visors from the remotes may hurt resale.

IF

Author: BeenFooled Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49592 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/20/2004 4:34 PM
"If neither of your owner's manuals tells how to do this, I can look it up in mind and post it."

I would love it if you could post the instructions that worked for you. My Volvo manual mentions that this should be possible but I have never got it to work either. Willing to run up ladders if necessary.

BF

Author: deputac Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49636 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/21/2004 10:55 AM
Thanks all for your input. I'm glad that this conversation helped out some other people's problems.

deputac

Author: FlyingDiver Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49664 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/21/2004 7:34 PM

As does the three-button unit in DW's 2003 Audi. It does take an extra step to set it up - first you train the car's transmitter from the original remote, then you make the opener "learn" the car's code. And it does take a longer button press - maybe 1 sec instead of 1/4 sec.

joe

Author: csp Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 49681 of 128677
Subject: Re: Garage Door Opner Choices Date: 4/21/2004 10:49 PM
I would love it if you could post the instructions that worked for you. My Volvo manual mentions that this should be possible but I have never got it to work either. Willing to run up ladders if necessary.

OK, here's what it says in my manual (summarized). I hope it works for you:

1. Make sure you have completed the "Training HomeLink procedure. [This is the normal procedure for training the opener that you do regardless of whether you have a rolling code system or not, so I'm assuming this will be in your manual].

2. Find the "Training" button on your garage door opener unit. The location will vary, depending on the manufacturer.

3. Press the Training button on the opener unit until the light next to the button comes on, then release it. The light may blink, or come on and stay on. You then have approx. 30 seconds to complete the following steps [this is where you jump down from the ladder and run to the car].

4. Press and hold the button on HomeLink (in your car) for 3-4 seconds. (The same button you trained with the "Training HomeLink" procedure.)

5. Press and hold the HomeLink button again for 3-4 seconds. This should turn off the training light on the garage door opener unit. (Some systems may require you to press the button up to three times). [When I did this I had the car positioned so I could see the light on the opener - it's probably best to get a helper if possible].

6. Press the HomeLink button again. It should operate the garage door.

I think it took me a few tries to get this right, probably because I didn't get everything done in 30 seconds. So if it doesn't work on the first try, don't give up. Good Luck!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement