UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: zsimpson Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 31086  
Subject: Garden Winners & Losers Date: 8/31/2008 3:50 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Now that autumn is upon us, what were your winners and losers this summer and things you just want to do different next year? Here's my list:

Winners
Golden of Bacau Beans - These are a lovely yellow pole bean that is absolutely one of if not the sweetest bean I have ever tasted. Heirloom.

Tangerine Tomatoes - These are a favorite in our house. they are a bit less acidic than red tomatoes and have a lovely flavor.

Lemon Boy Tomatoes - Lovely yellow tomatoes that are shaped like a lemon. Grew well, and produced nicely. Heirloom.

McIntosh Apples - Our tree did gang busters this year! I had no less than two bushels of apples. I'm still making stuff.

Yellow Patty Pan Squash - Another favorite in the house. Always tastes wonderful and if I can keep the SVBs away long enough, a great producer.

Basils - I planted several kinds of basil this year, purple ruffles, another purple (I don't remember the name), Genovese, Sweet, Lemon, and Cinnamon. All did very well.

Blueberries - We are still getting blueberries. We had some that have ripened very slowly and are rather small, but taste wonderful.

Losers
Tree Tomatoes - They grew like crazy, but produced very little. More annoying than anything.

Bell Peppers - They are always annoying because just as they get ripe enough to pick, something else gets them.

Green Patty Pan Squash - Blasted things did not produce even ONE squash! I had two plants and neither produced anything.

Purple Pole Beans - I think they may have sent me the wrong beans. I planted them in between the tomatoes as I usually do with pole beans, but they never grew above a foot tall. I think they sent me bush beans instead of pole beans. I think I got a total of 8 beans off 40 seeds I planted.

Things I Want to Do Different
We planted our rows of tomatoes very close together this year. They grew well, but it was a real hassle trying to get in between the plants to get the produce. I think I want to expand them a bit next year.

I want to plant corn. This will take some coaxing with Hubby. He isn't fond of planting corn because it takes so much room, but I really love fresh corn on the cob.

I want to start my plants earlier. I'd like to put up a cold frame so we can start them in December or January.

I want to plant one less row of bush beans. Nobody int he house likes picking them, and I wind up being the only one that will care for them so only one row next year.
Kathleen
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (26) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement