UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: Stetson20 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 734711  
Subject: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/5/2012 6:10 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 7
Here in central Michigan. Up to 3.95 locally. Nothing on the news except the gas shortages in California. If this was happening on BUSH's watch, the press would be HOWLING about how the price of gas is killing the middle class. Now? Crickets...

Typical.
Print the post Back To Top
Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647406 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/6/2012 3:34 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
refineries off line in CA...and a big fire at a TX refinery at Baytown....

simple....

shortage of refined gas in some markets....

t.

Author: CCinOC Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647411 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/6/2012 3:41 PM
Filled my tank yesterday at Costco. While I was in line, the price increased from $4.19 to $4.47!

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647413 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/6/2012 3:52 PM
Recommendations: 1
filled my tank yesterday...

$3.449 a gallon in TX

didn't check today. Drove 330 miles ...time to refill

t.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647429 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/6/2012 5:07 PM
"filled my tank yesterday...$3.449 a gallon in TX. didn't check today. Drove 330 miles ...time to refill." - tele

Man, you are a driving Fool! You really know how to put some miles on a car. I bet you've easily driven over a million miles in your lifetime. Maybe 2 million!

Art

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647452 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/6/2012 7:28 PM
Art:"Man, you are a driving Fool! You really know how to put some miles on a car. I bet you've easily driven over a million miles in your lifetime. Maybe 2 million!"

Not yet..

1994 LeSabre - 203,500 miles
2001 LeSabre - 227,500 miles
2009 Malibu 104,000 and counting
1990 Honda 165,000 miles
1968 Mustang - 30K miles
1969 Corvette - 60K miles
1975 Ford Van - 80K miles
1983 Sentra 65K miles
2007 Prius 26K miles

throw in at least 10,000 miles on rental cars....

and way back maybe 10,000 miles on the VW and old Pontiac......

working at it. A lot easier to do in retirement!

t.

Author: tjscott0 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647470 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/6/2012 9:28 PM
On a trip to N Ca & S Or. Paid $4.699 @ Mt Shasta, Ca. Ouch!!!!

Paid $3.199 In Las Cruces, NM [my home] last Wednesday.

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647475 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/6/2012 10:08 PM
Man, you are a driving Fool! You really know how to put some miles on a car. I bet you've easily driven over a million miles in your lifetime. Maybe 2 million!

Art

--------------------

A million miles doesn't seem like that many to me, for a lifetime anyway. That is just averaging 20k miles per year for fifty years.

The F150 Ford truck I bought in 1992 had 100k when I traded in on my one an only Chevy truck. That 1998 Chevy had 130k on it when I traded it in on the 2004 F250 I am still driving. And my other truck, a 2008 F250 has 40k on it. So add all that up in the 20 years since 1992, I have driven 430k miles. That is an average of 21,500 miles a year.

I have been driving 45 years so will hit a million miles easily and probably already have. In the years before 1992 I drove even more with the kids at home hauling them around, camping vacations every summer, driving to her parents and my parents at every friggin' holiday, and so on.

Author: fleg9bo Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647476 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/6/2012 10:31 PM
A million miles doesn't seem like that many to me, for a lifetime anyway. That is just averaging 20k miles per year for fifty years.

I've probably put 20k miles on my car in the past five years. Of course, I'm not constantly hauling building supplies way out to the woods so I can live like a misanthropic hermit.

--fleg

P.S. Wasn't music better in the late 70s?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w1lof5Ho1Jw

Author: bighairymike Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647485 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/6/2012 11:46 PM
I've probably put 20k miles on my car in the past five years. Of course, I'm not constantly hauling building supplies way out to the woods so I can live like a misanthropic hermit.

--fleg

-------------

Heh. If I ever decide change my handle, would you mind if I use this?

Speaking of building supplies, I am just about finished with framing the walls at barn 2.0. I have five short walls in the bathrooms to finish up - surrounds for the showers and water closets. I plan on finishing this off tommorrow and Monday. Then, on Thursday, Lowes is delivering the ceiling joists (ninety 2x10x16's) and 65 sheets of 5/8 plywood for the decking. It took me about 2.5 months to frame the walls. I'm thinking this ceiling and decking will take 3 or 4. Setting the joists is a lot of ladder work which wears me out.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647593 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/7/2012 8:11 PM

Art

For perspective, driving a million miles is like driving to the moon and back -- twice.

Author: andrew61 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647595 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/7/2012 8:15 PM
1994 LeSabre - 203,500 miles
2001 LeSabre - 227,500 miles
2009 Malibu 104,000 and counting
1990 Honda 165,000 miles
1968 Mustang - 30K miles
1969 Corvette - 60K miles
1975 Ford Van - 80K miles
1983 Sentra 65K miles
2007 Prius 26K miles

throw in at least 10,000 miles on rental cars....

and way back maybe 10,000 miles on the VW and old Pontiac......

The last car I ever owned I got rid of more than 11 years ago, but I still have recurring dreams where I still own the car and still drive it, neglecting routine maintenance like oil changes, etc., but nothing bad ever happens.

This thread just reminded me what that nightmare I had last night was that I'd forgotten: I again dreamed that I was driving my old car, but when I parked and turned the ignition off, the car refused to stop running, no matter what I did. I remember feeling very frightened, and then I woke up. After which I felt really annoyed that I had been "treated" to a nightmare like that.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647603 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/7/2012 8:35 PM
"For perspective, driving a million miles is like driving to the moon and back -- twice." - andrew

Tele would do it if he could take his ham radio equipment with him and transmit from the moon.

I can picture it now "Guess what ya'll! I'm transmitting from the moon!" Take that all you other Ham Radio guys!"

Artie

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647616 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/7/2012 10:27 PM
Andrew: You did see the movie Christine? About the car? that wouldn't quit?

t.

Author: telegraph Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647617 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/7/2012 10:32 PM
artimus "Tele would do it if he could take his ham radio equipment with him and transmit from the moon. "

Well, I don't know about driving to the moon. Lack of air....lack of heat....and air conditioning....plus getting my little Malibu up to 25,000 mph would be a real challenge - escape velocity.

Now, after the first couple hundred people make it there and back safely, and there's a moon colony to visit...and someone to put up BIG antennas pointed at the Earth....and a place to set up ham radio....and the moon count as another 'radio country'...you bet, I'd want to be the first ham to go there and transmit from there. you'd have pile ups of stations trying to make contacts with you that would be 'out of this world'.......You'd need a month and about 20 other hams to handle all the contacts.

Right now the best ham radio operators can do is bounce signals off the moon, and that isn't all that easy....and work other stations bouncing signals off the moon. Takes a lot of work to set up such a station (and money , too).

t.

Author: ariechert Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 647626 of 734711
Subject: Re: Gas Jumped 20 Cents Today... Date: 10/8/2012 12:41 AM
"Now, after the first couple hundred people make it there and back safely, and there's a moon colony to visit...and someone to put up BIG antennas pointed at the Earth....and a place to set up ham radio....and the moon count as another 'radio country'...you bet, I'd want to be the first ham to go there and transmit from there. you'd have pile ups of stations trying to make contacts with you that would be 'out of this world'.......You'd need a month and about 20 other hams to handle all the contacts.

Right now the best ham radio operators can do is bounce signals off the moon, and that isn't all that easy....and work other stations bouncing signals off the moon. Takes a lot of work to set up such a station (and money , too)." tele

------------

Heh heh heh! I knew you'd know how to do it! If anyone could figure out about sending signals from the moon you could!

Tele is our resident expert when it comes to all things having to do with communications technology. Seriously.

Art

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (16) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement