UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: SeeFoolRun Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 128074  
Subject: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/27/2007 3:07 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
I think our dryer is about to die. Making a rhythmic metal-on-metal squeak at times - I'd assume it's a bearing. Just started about 2 weeks ago & is getting more frequent and a little louder.

We've been in the house for 2 years & the dryer came with it (unexpected surprise). We bought a new front loading washer, but since the old owners left the dryer, we figured we'd use it for a while instead of buying the matching dryer for the washer right away like we had planned.

This is a gas dryer & I never had one before. It seems to perform much better than the electric ones we've had in the past. Dries loads much faster. I'm not sure if this is due to the dryer or because the front load washer extracts more water during the spin cycle?

Anyway, since it sounds like it needs replaced, I'm debating whether to go with another gas unit or back to electric. I like the gas performance better, but I think electric costs less to operate. Our gas bill is pretty high - >$40 in summer months - & the HW heater & dryer are only gas appliances used. We do a LOT of laundry.

Also thinking about just having this one repaired. Unit is a lower-end GE - about $380 new @ Lowes, so I know don't that it would be worth putting $150(?) into it. It's about 5 yrs old. If replaced, the matching dryer for the washer is $50 more for gas than electric ($600 vs $650).

Thoughts?
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89770 of 128074
Subject: Re: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/27/2007 6:50 AM
Recommendations: 1
<<Anyway, since it sounds like it needs replaced, I'm debating whether to go with another gas unit or back to electric. I like the gas performance better, but I think electric costs less to operate. Our gas bill is pretty high - >$40 in summer months - & the HW heater & dryer are only gas appliances used. We do a LOT of laundry.
>>

The cost per BTU of heat is a lot lower for gas than electricity almost anywhere, so gas is very likely to save you money drying clothes as well.

<<Also thinking about just having this one repaired. Unit is a lower-end GE - about $380 new @ Lowes, so I know don't that it would be worth putting $150(?) into it. It's about 5 yrs old. If replaced, the matching dryer for the washer is $50 more for gas than electric ($600 vs $650).
>>

As a now retired (as of Memorial Day) gas appliance repairman, I wouldn't invest money in an old dryer that's squeaking like yours is. I have an old gas dryer I got free off the scrap pile of the utility where I used to work. It gave me 10+ years of useful service, the last three or four it has been squeaking much like yours. Last winter, the old spark ignitor started failing, and that's the last straw for me.

Dryers are cheap. Even so, I wouldn't buy a new one if you want to minimize your costs. Check out the Craigslist "free" section --- appliances are often available for free from people who just want to get rid of them, and people will tell you of any defects they have.

That's what I'll do. I recently picked up a free refrigerator that needed some clips to hold the shelf retainers in the door replaced and a couple of cracked pieces of plastic in the top veggie bin reinforced. I got what I needed for $10 at a nearby used appliance place.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: Rile72 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89771 of 128074
Subject: Re: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/27/2007 9:00 AM
I second the opinion on gas being less expensive to operate. However, dryers are relatively simple machines, and the squeaking might just indicate you need a new belt pully. It's a simple wheel on a metal bracket with gives the belt tension. I've replaced mine before and it has solved the problem. It's cheap and simple to replace.

Author: aroneous Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89772 of 128074
Subject: Re: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/27/2007 9:45 AM
THe front-loading washer does extract alot more moisture from the clothes - so it makes the dryer look like it's doing a better job.

A newer dryer might be even better still, KWIM?

I second the "craigslist.com" recommendation - I see lots of ads for washers, dryers, and set for less than $150 and quite a few for free if you haul away.

Author: deputac Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89780 of 128074
Subject: Re: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/27/2007 3:26 PM
As others have said on this board, gas dryers do tend to operate at a lower cost than electric ones.

However, if you are switching from gas to electric, remember that most electric dryers need a 240 volt outlet to run, so, if you do not have one already, you'll most likely need an electrician to run the wiring for you.

But, as others have stated, try reparing the "old reliable" first. May work out for you better.

deputac

Author: SeeFoolRun Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89785 of 128074
Subject: Re: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/27/2007 6:38 PM
The 240V is already there, it's just not in use right now.

I wouldn't replace it with a used model. For stuff like appliances & furniture I like to buy good quality name brand stuff & don't mind spending extra up front for something that will run efficiently & last a long time.

The initial plan was to buy one when we bought the house 2 yrs ago, so from my perspective we're already ahead because we got this one for free. I don't mind spending the money for a new dryer now that I was planning on spending 2 yrs ago. Since I have been happy with its performance, I'll have someone come out & take a look at it & decide what to do based on the estimated cost to repair it. If it's a cheap fix, we'll probably hold onto it. If it's >$125 or the repairman sees other issues with it, we'll just replace it with the model we wanted.

From what I've read here it sounds like everyone feels gas is less expensive to operate. Assuming same brand, design, & usage will gas & electric models have the same service life? Does one type generally last much longer or prove to be more reliable over time?

Author: JenBales Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89814 of 128074
Subject: Re: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/28/2007 3:45 PM
Does one type generally last much longer or prove to be more reliable over time?

Consumer Reports is the place to check for this sort of question. The one we bought six months or so ago is a Maytag, but even within the same line, different models perform differently.

Author: deputac Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89818 of 128074
Subject: Re: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/28/2007 7:26 PM
Does one type generally last much longer or prove to be more reliable over time?

Consumer Reports really does not tackle this question, although they state that almost 80% of the models sold nowadays are electric. They even state that they no longer test the gas models.

However, in their opinion, gas dryers will save you more in the long run. Figure that.

Outside of the price question, I think you need to concentrate on the features of the dryers and see which one will help you in your use of the appliance (e.g., moisture sensors, noise, etc.).

deputac

Author: Stockbuyer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89824 of 128074
Subject: Re: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/28/2007 11:06 PM
Recommendations: 2
On kind of a related topic.

I was reading Yahoo news the other morning. There was a guy saying that in order to do wind, solar, hydro, etc. that there would need to be this big land grab.

The rebutal guy said no, that you could graze livestock or grow crops under the windmills and that there was already enough existing structures that installing solar wouldn't need any additional land.

I wonder why no one has done any studies showing how much energy could be saved by people drying their clothes on drying racks indoors or clotheslines outdoors?

I think racks and lines are so inexpensive that people could probably get into this.

Also, laws would need to be enacted on city levels to make it legal to have them even when HOA rules prevent them.

Stockbuyer2

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89828 of 128074
Subject: Re: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/29/2007 1:23 AM
I wonder why no one has done any studies showing how much energy could be saved by people drying their clothes on drying racks indoors or clotheslines outdoors?

I dry my clothes now by having them on drying racks and plastic hangers. I don't do it for the energy savings. I do it to keep my clothes from shrinking. I have a long body so if I don't line dry, I have shirts that cannot be tucked in after a few washes.

It would be interesting to see studies on how much energy is saved by avoiding the dryer. Maybe people would embrace it like they have with CFLs. CFLs didn't take off overnight.

IF

Author: Stockbuyer2 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89829 of 128074
Subject: Re: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/29/2007 1:44 AM
"It would be interesting to see studies on how much energy is saved by avoiding the dryer. Maybe people would embrace it like they have with CFLs. CFLs didn't take off overnight."

I've dried my clothes on an inside or outside clothes line for about 30 years now. My family also always dried clothes on a clothes line when I was young.

We have usually been the only ones in our neighborhoods and sometimes larger areas who dry clothes outside.

I saw an episode of House Hunters on HGTV that was filmed in Italy. They said that most people dry their clothes outside instead of in a dryer over there. It seems to me that the powers that be should be pushing the idea here in the US too.

Stockbuyer2

Author: IndecisiveFool Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 89833 of 128074
Subject: Re: Gas vs Electric clothes dryer Date: 7/29/2007 11:30 AM
I saw an episode of House Hunters on HGTV that was filmed in Italy. They said that most people dry their clothes outside instead of in a dryer over there. It seems to me that the powers that be should be pushing the idea here in the US too.

I couldn't image drying clothes outside in Rome. The whites wouldn't look so white.

IF

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement