Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 71420  
Subject: Gasoline Smell Date: 11/12/2012 11:55 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
My son says he can smell gasoline in the cabin of his 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt. He checked online and thinks it might be a leaky fuel injector. Does that sound feasible?

Also, would something like that be covered by warranty?
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ToddTruby Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69590 of 71420
Subject: Re: Gasoline Smell Date: 11/12/2012 6:49 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
Fuel odor in the interior of the vehicle is not something that should be diagnosed on the internet.

There are several things that could cause that symptom, but I don't think a leaking fuel injector is very likely. Depending on how it was leaking, a check engine light or other driveability symptoms would be more likely to be present with a leaky injector.

More information about the conditions present when the odor is noticed would be needed. It may be perfectly normal if for instance it is present during a cold start at idle with the vehicle stationary. In that case the fuel smell could be just cold start fuel enrichment from the exhaust making it to the HVAC fres air intake.

Have your son observe very closely the conditions when the symptom occurs and take it to a mechanic. No way to know if it is under warranty, but if it is truly a problem, it needs to be taken care of either way.

Author: devoish Big red star, 1000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69593 of 71420
Subject: Re: Gasoline Smell Date: 11/13/2012 6:34 AM
Recommendations: 2
I agree with ToddTruby's comments about diagnosing this over the internet.
I presume your son means a raw fuel smell, not a rich exhaust smell

Unless the miles are very high or there has been an accident every fuel leak should be covered with the possible exception of the gas cap.

I disagree with ToddTruby that there is any condition or circumstance where smelling fuel should be considered normal or ok.
I also believe a fuel injector could leak (on the fuel rail/delivery side) without setting any performance problems or trouble codes.

Take it to the dealer ASAP and expect it to be under warrantee.

Hope that helps,
Steven

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69594 of 71420
Subject: Re: Gasoline Smell Date: 11/13/2012 12:03 PM
Recommendations: 1
In the good old days when cars had carburetors, if you followed a car down the street emitting strong gas fumes, it could be a number of things.

1. Loose gas cap
2. Fuel pump with ruptured diaphram causing fuel to leak out the top.
3. Stuck carburetor float causing liquid gasoline to overflow into cylinders.
4. Leaking fuel line

But with modern engines with electric fuel pumps and catalytic converters and check engine light, most of these are no longer possible or would be quickly detected.

Author: TMFTwitty Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69595 of 71420
Subject: Re: Gasoline Smell Date: 11/13/2012 12:23 PM
I don't usually wave my arms around in dramatic warnings, but this issue fits. I'd consider having the car towed or flatbedded to the service location. If it's a fuel leak under the hood, it can get massive very quickly, and there may not be enough time to get the car stopped and get out of it before the toxic smoke fills the cabin and makes the driver incapable of taking action to save himself.

Richard

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69596 of 71420
Subject: Re: Gasoline Smell Date: 11/13/2012 3:24 PM
Take it to the dealer ASAP and expect it to be under warrantee.

What he said. As a 2010 it should be covered under the 5/100 powertrain warranty or if somehow emissions related covered by the government mandated 80K mile emissions warranty. His base 3/36 should still be in effect (or almost over) unless he drives the piss out of the car.

Don't screw around with a strong gasoline smell.

I will agree that on a cold start on a cold morning a faint smell for a few seconds is possible, and would be normal.

Also agree that I don't see this as a fuel injector issue. As those are monitored by the OBDII it would almost certainly throw a CEL.

The 2007 to 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt was recalled in southern states for a plastic part on the fuel pump that could crack and allow fuel to leak. I would speculate this was addressed in the 2010 model year - but worth noting the known issue on the previous year.

Author: gsgreen Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69597 of 71420
Subject: Re: Gasoline Smell Date: 11/14/2012 9:01 AM
Just recently had the same symptoms with my 96 Jeep Cherokee. Finally found that inline fuel filter back by fuel tank was leaking.

Author: Milligram46 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69598 of 71420
Subject: Re: Gasoline Smell Date: 11/14/2012 6:42 PM
I love the smell of napalm in the morning. You know, one time we had a hill bombed, for 12 hours. When it was all over, I walked up. We didn't find one of 'em, not one stinkin' dink body. The smell, you know that gasoline smell, the whole hill. Smelled like...victory. Someday this war's gonna end...

Author: dbruce100 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69600 of 71420
Subject: Re: Gasoline Smell Date: 11/18/2012 7:41 PM
In one of my cars a recall was in place for a gas tank valve. The issue made it so when getting gas, the hose would constantly stop....annoying to say the least.

The fix was to replace the valve that was easily accessible in the trunk. You were supposed to give it to the dealer with a 1/3 of a tank or less, but I forgot and it had almost a full tank.

When I got the car back, the gas smell was insane and took 2 to 3 weeks before it went away. I learned that any gas that gets into the trunk or cabin will smell for a very long time. If you get some on your shoe while filling....similar problem.

If you don't smell it outside and only inside.....my bet would be a leak in the gas hose in the trunk or someone got some inside accidentally. As mentioned, a fuel injector or something else under the hood would not be my first thought.

Author: JamesBrown Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 69610 of 71420
Subject: Re: Gasoline Smell Date: 11/26/2012 11:14 AM
Recommendations: 1
My son finally took his car to the Chevy dealer. They couldn't detect any problem, and he says he no longer can smell the gasoline.

Dunno. Could have been residue from a fill-up, I suppose. Fortunately the dealership didn't charge for the inspection.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (10) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement