Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: dumaflotchie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 1416  
Subject: Re: Hospitals beginning to tout research results Date: 2/2/2013 8:45 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Gator:

It is odd that MAKO just hasn't made much splash in academics. One would think from the company's perspective, they would be incentivized to practically give them away to academic sites if not for any other reason that to train a huge next gen population of orthopedics doctors. I don't buy the pragmatist TALC argument for academics adoption.......these doctors live in a malpractice mitigated world, seek any publications and fame they can get.......makes no sense they would deliberately avoid a new paradigm in joint surgery.

I would suspect MAKO's cost to build a robot at around $500,000 so pick 20 academic sites and donate them for total cost of $10 million......what the heck.

But I would point out that contrary to what many here have suggested, there are reams of various quality studies on DaVinci.......can toggle through a few here:

http://link.springer.com/search/page/1?facet-journal-id=1170...

Despite this being a Journal of Robotic surgery......no real mention of MAKO in the reams of studies.

I have suspected all along that the lack of sufficient studies for MAKO was reflective of their strategic misstep to concentrate entirely on unicompartment disease which practically every orthopedics doctor seems skeptical of regardless. The population is also too few to build a center of excellence concept.

Now with their seminal strategic shift to total hips, total knees and uni/bicmpartments........we should see a huge shift in interest.

I was able to speak with a surgeon who does MAKO last year and one can see the need to expand indications......if MaKO has any chance of success or survival.

It has been a while since I looked at their cash burn rates but they don't seem that close to cash positive.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (33) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Berkshire Hathaway

Is the Market Overvalued?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement