UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Wradical Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 35400  
Subject: Re: Credit Card Rates Date: 5/15/2008 6:01 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Gee, I thought I'd given up traveler's checks forever, but I can get those free.
Yes, you can get them free, but they're a pain to use anymore, especially overseas, from what we heard, two years ago, when we went to England and Ireland. And that was confirmed by AAA, who sells travelers checks - for free.

They suggested a prepaid VISA card as an alternative, with the same protection against theft or loss. But those have stiff fees at an ATM, which they disclosed.

We checked all our credit cards. What we found was that our best deals available were a 1% foreign exchange fee, from
*-VISA from MNBA - now Bank of America - AAA affinity deal
*-VISA from Target National Bank

And our VISA debit card from our bank was supposed to work just fine, and they assured us it would work at overseas ATMs, which they told my wife over the phone and in person when she bought some pounds and Euros for pocket money. But when we tried it it didn't work - said "insufficient balance". But the other cards worked for cash advances, so we survived. When we got back we were told that they were routinely blocking foreign debit transactions. My wife was furious. "You didn't tell us that! And I distinctly remember talking about it WHEN I WAS BUYING MY FOREIGN MONEY FOR THE TRIP!"

Bill
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (18) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Economic Implications of Cuba
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement