Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFPMarti Big funky green star, 20000 posts Home Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 121114  
Subject: Re: The Cost Basis Crisis Date: 6/30/2006 3:13 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Gee, weren't we just discussing basis tracking? I swear, I didn't put Roy up to this.

The tax gap has become a hot-button issue in Washington, with good reason. Last year, the IRS estimated that the 2001 gap was $311 billion, and that only about $56 billion of those funds would ever be recovered, given the agency's current capabilities. This year, the IRS is expected to release updated tax-gap estimates, showing that the problem has since grown significantly worse.

I'm always suspicious of IRS's tax gap numbers. It's a loosely defined term, and in the old days there were at least two sets of numbers, depending on what type of Congressional committee was inquiring. Somehow the number was always higher when Appropriations was asking than when Oversight was.

That said, IMO we'd benefit from another round of Taxpayer Compliance Measurement Program (TCMP) audits, a/k/a the audits from hell, in which the randomly selected victims have to prove everything. One legendary change brought about as a direct result of TCMP was SSN's for toddlers. In the first year SSN's were required something like 25 million dependents disappeared from returns. Congress quickly lowered the age requirement to birth.

The last time there was a TCMP relatively few people owned stock. I'm not at all surprised GAO is finding this a playground.

Phil
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (40) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Disclaimer:
In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

2.1: The Labor Pool Problem
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement