Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread
Author: TMFCanuck Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Feste Award Winner! Old School Fool CAPS All Star Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 2808  
Subject: Geez.... Date: 10/3/2007 8:57 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
...I go away for a couple of weeks, and the world goes a little bit crazy...

So NVT accepts a buyout (colour me shocked!), and GRMN isn't the buyer. Too tired to process anything at present (my body thinks this is coming up on 3:00AM Paris-time), but my quickie thoughts (which may be worth what you paid for them)

* NVT and GRMN have locked in deals for several years (4 - IIRC from a past conference call). No panicking yet.

* NOK buying NVT may be a very good strategic move for NOK - particularly if the NOK's PND offerings follow those of Sony or LG or Phillips (i.e. no one buys them).

* Then again, everyone is going to be thinking - Hmm....a phone buyer buying NVT....navigation on phone! PNDs will become irrelevant. Sell GRMN!

* If GRMN had been the buyer, would the market have reacted similarly (shaving off 1/6 of the company's value in a few days)? In other words, would the acquirer premium have knocked the price down anyway? Or would the euphoria have reached an even greater height even though GRMN would have arguably have been in a weakened financial position. No real answer, obviously, just wondering (might be travel-tripping....)

* Doubt that GRMN can compete on resources with NOK. Unsurprising that the NVT acquirer had greater resources than GRMN, which I believe I said in an earlier post.

* This too shall pass. Don't count GRMN management out yet.

* Sleep is good. I think I'm hallucinating that everyone I know on the message boards now has a TMF in front of their names....

Jim
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Prev | Next | Next Thread

Announcements

Foolanthropy 2014!
By working with young, first-time moms, Nurse-Family Partnership is able to truly change lives – for generations to come.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Post of the Day:
Macro Economics

Looking at Currency Ratios
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement