UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37586  
Subject: Gen Petraeus Date: 11/12/2012 8:16 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
Sorta makes you wounder just what kind of "thorough" vetting was accomplished prior to his appointment as CIA director!

[I have always considered the FBI to have the investigative acumen of Barney Fife!]

sunray
a man who wonders why morality is so poorly valued these days
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Matt1344 Big gold star, 5000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37356 of 37586
Subject: Re: Gen Petraeus Date: 11/12/2012 8:52 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 4
"a man who wonders why morality is so poorly valued these days"

I believe it is in large part because people no longer value nor fear the God who gave His people the 10 commandments, which includes...

“You shall not commit adultery.

Ken
a man who has regretfully committed his share of sins and has finally asked his savior, Jesus Christ, to forgive him.

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37357 of 37586
Subject: Re: Gen Petraeus Date: 11/13/2012 11:33 AM
Recommendations: 2
The president couldn't past the Clearance Background check.

Author: samtheinvestorma Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37358 of 37586
Subject: Re: Gen Petraeus Date: 11/13/2012 2:06 PM
Recommendations: 1
It is more wide spread than I would like to think with the top military brass. Recent examples include:

Former 173rd Commander:
http://www.stripes.com/news/former-173rd-commander-handed-re...

Former 82nd DCO:
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/28/us/decorated-general-charg...

Former AFRICOM CDR Not related to adultery but applies to ethics and setting the example:
http://www.stripes.com/news/ward-unlikely-to-face-court-mart...

Former USAREUR CDR (no reason given for retirement):
http://www.stripes.com/news/hertling-leaves-usareur-without-...

Discussion at work also included the number of Navy O5/O6's relieved in the past couple years, but since I am not in the Navy, I won't further comment.

Interesting times, but is it demonstrably different from the past (other than actual punishment for top brass is much more common than in the past)?

Sam

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37364 of 37586
Subject: Re: Gen Petraeus Date: 11/14/2012 6:47 AM
Recommendations: 0
http://news.yahoo.com/current-petraeus-affair-nothing-nation...

"The current sex scandal involving the C.I.A., the F.B.I., the military, and possibly several private citizens isn’t the first in Washington, but it has some things in common with the huge scandal that hit Alexander Hamilton more than 200 years ago.

The Maria Reynolds affair was the David Petraeus-Paula Broadwell-John Allen triangle of its day in the 1790s, with its admission of adultery, scandalous mail exchanges, and a high-profile resignation.

The Hamilton scandal also involved some elements that have nothing in common with the current situation: blackmail, a potential Founding Fathers duel, and a key role by two future U.S. presidents, Thomas Jefferson and James Monroe.

And Aaron Burr, the man who eventually killed Hamilton in 1804, made two cameo appearances as the events unfolded.

In the 1790s, Hamilton was arguably the second- or third-most powerful politician in the United States, after his mentor, Washington, and Hamilton’s arch-enemy, Jefferson.

But Hamilton had many foes due to his aggressive role in government. Hamilton had started the first political party in the nation, the Federalists and battled leaders within his own party as well as Jefferson and his followers.

Hamilton became the first treasury secretary of the United States in 1789 and was President Washington’s most-trusted adviser. But he resigned in early 1795, reportedly to seek a lucrative private sector career working as a lawyer in New York.

But Hamilton was harboring a secret.

During Washington’s first term in office, Secretary Hamilton started an affair in 1791 with Maria Reynolds, a Philadelphia woman seeking money to leave her abusive husband and return to New York.

Unknown to Hamilton, Reynolds’ husband knew of the affair. James Reynolds forced the married Hamilton to pay him blackmail if he wanted to continue the liaison. Hamilton did.

James Reynolds was then caught in a separate financial scheme and tried to implicate Hamilton in that plot in 1792. The speaker of the House, Frederick Muhlenberg; Monroe; and a third Congress member confronted Hamilton.

Not only did the treasury secretary confirm the affair, Hamilton also handed over much of his mail correspondence with Reynolds to the men. The letters apparently proved that Hamilton wasn’t involved in the second financial scheme involving Reynolds.

Monroe and Muhlenberg agreed to keep the incident quiet, but Jefferson may have known of the affair. Monroe had given copies of the letters and records of the meetings with Hamilton to John Beckley, the clerk of the House of Representatives, to be sealed.

Five year later, Beckley was fired as House clerk by the Federalists, and all of the papers were suddenly made public in 1797 in what we would call a tabloid publication run by Philadelphia publisher James Callender."

Author: tgrmn Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37365 of 37586
Subject: Re: Gen Petraeus Date: 11/14/2012 6:54 AM
It must be her intellect.

http://news.yahoo.com/jill-kelley-ran-bogus-cancer-charity-w...

Author: Grumpybiker Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37368 of 37586
Subject: Re: Gen Petraeus Date: 11/14/2012 11:22 AM
This whole thing appears to be Much Ado About Nothing!

I think whom GEN P was banging is a matter of discussion between (among?) GEN P, his wife and the bangee! They should work it out; it doesn't warrant his resignation.

Regards,
Grumpy

Author: TMBFAverageJoe Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37369 of 37586
Subject: Re: Gen Petraeus Date: 11/14/2012 12:08 PM
"I think whom GEN P was banging is a matter of discussion between (among?) GEN P, his wife and the bangee! "

I barely awoke, and already my vocabulary had been enriched by this wonderful new word: bangee. I shall henceforth make frequent use of it.

~aj

Author: tsimi One star, 50 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37370 of 37586
Subject: Re: Gen Petraeus Date: 11/14/2012 7:15 PM
Recommendations: 5
In my opinion I think we should just have had R. Lee Ermey, the DI in the movie Full Metal Jacket give Petraeus a good ass chewing (What is your major malfunction Numbnuts?), take away his weekend pass and tell him to get back to work keeping America safe.------------tsimi

Author: sunrayman Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37371 of 37586
Subject: Re: Gen Petraeus Date: 11/14/2012 7:35 PM
It must be her intellect.

+++
+++

Cudda bin her Integrity!

Author: rinjr715 Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 37380 of 37586
Subject: Re: Gen Petraeus Date: 11/22/2012 12:22 AM
Recommendations: 8
That is ridiculous. You cannot penalize someone militarily for something that happened after he/she left the service. Petraeus did not start screwing Paula Broadwell till after he had left the military, so the affair is none of the military's damn business. The CIA can penalize him if its rules provide for that, but keep the military out of it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (11) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement