UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: Calabogie Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 37587  
Subject: General Perqs Date: 11/20/2012 8:13 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 5
I work with quite a few general officers and it seems they have become more and more self-centered and entitled over the years. The current 3 and 4 stars where I work all have their own drivers and multiple cars to choose from, a household staff of soldiers who cook and clean, a laundry staff who takes care of all of their clothing, a yard staff who does all of the yard work, aides who carry their bags and equipment when they travel, a communications staff (usually 3-5 soldiers) who go everywhere with them, and quite often when their spouses travel between posts the entry gates are blocked off while they (the spouses) drive through.

None of them (1 to 4 stars) abide by the security regulations that everyone else has to follow and their staff also usually doesn't follow the regs. I have had multiple fights with them about this and I always seem to lose.

The odd thing about all of that to me is that back when I was in the military (1970's-1980's) the generals I knew (far fewer than I know today of course) all said constantly that NO ONE is above the regulations and they all followed them scrupulously. I remember when I was a lowly O-1 and I refused to allow an O-6 to pick up a document marked "Eyes Only" for the Wing Commander. This guy screamed and threatened me but when the Wing Commander got involved he praised me in front of the entire unit and I actually got a letter in my file over the incident. If I tried that today I'd probably get a letter but it wouldn't be a good one.

I'm curious why this has happened. I'm currently reading a book called "The Generals" and it's about how things have changed since WWII and the methods Marshall and Eisenhower used to promote and demote general officers. It's striking just how different things are today.

Calabogie
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (12) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Nu Skin Showing its Age?
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement