Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: esxokm Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 49467  
Subject: Re: Idea on Marvel/Pixar Date: 3/17/2013 3:24 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
Generally speaking, I'd rather see debt levels lower. I know what you're getting at, but this raises another question: should Disney borrow money and pay investors a special dividend? Debt is generally cheap these days, so why not do that? Although it wouldn't affect capital investment in a necessarily beneficial manner, it would reward shareholders -- including management -- for investing in the company and working at the company. You could argue that Disney's future cash flows can service that as well.

While debt is not a problem now, what if it becomes so in the future? The environment might change where we might have to borrow more money in the future at higher rates. What if, for some unknown reason, we had to borrow the exact same amount of debt we have now at higher rates? In the end, it's simply a case of flexibility. I agree that the debt now isn't adversely affecting the company, but I'd have to assume lower is always better.

The net interest expense according to the Q4 report I just checked at the investors site is $369 million. Here's the comment attached to it:

**The increase in net interest expense for the year was primarily due to higher average debt balances, partially offset by lower effective interest rates.**

Not a big deal. But, $369 million represents a lot of potential content that could have been made. It also represents a potentially higher dividend.

Personally, I would feel better if the company had a much lower level of debt. Yet I agree that debt is part of business. I definitely would love the company to identify some assets that could be sold off to get rid of debt. Not sure what that would be at this point, although I recently mentioned the Touchstone library in another post.

I guess I'm just trying to maximize opportunities and shareholder value.
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Value Hounds

Medallion Financial: TAXI!
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement