Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 0
Our generator runs great, but doesn't seem to put out electirc power. Can't run the A/C, no power to outlets, doesn't charge the batteries. DH took it to a gnerator place, and for $100 they ran a variety of diagnostics, said it's fine and outputs electricity.

Meanwhile, everything works on shore power, and the vehicle engine charges the batteries as do the solar panels.

I should add that my husband installed a new converter DIY a few months ago and we had someone install new AGM house batteries a few weeks ago. I should further add that I'm not certain that the generator ever charged the batteries, and it has occasionally had trouble running the A/C, but has always powered the 110v outlets (although we don't use them often so cannot be certain they worked every time we ran the generator--we use few 110v devices, mainly laptops and rechargeable batteries). We haven't had a working 400 watt inverter for years, but I've ordered one from AMZN that should get here Monday, so presumably we'll be able to keep the computers charged with that.

I'm not sure how much DH knows about what he's doing (he's a guy, guys usually think they know plenty ;-) but he sez after testing with a voltmeter that no power is getting to the ATS (automatic transfer switch) from the genset, and further upstream towards the generator, no power to the junction under a dinette seat.

The head of service at the Mothership (Lazy Daze factory) thinks the generator is the problem. The generator people think it's a wiring problem or the transfer switch.

The mothership is in Southern CA, but we're going to Albuquerque--for 2 weeks of dry camping in early October. I dunno about 2 weeks of dry camping with a generator that does nothing but amuse itself and just 2 solar panels, although we're unlikely to be in desperate need of air conditioning or heat in Albuquerque in October (although I had lanned on more dry camping near petroglyphs and the like for later in October when we might well want heat at night).

I suspect we should go to the Mothership first. Will involve some hustle, and probably some dry camping at Walmarts and the like to get there quickly. Will aim for some COE campgrounds with electric hookups where convenient.

Any idea/thoughts/suggestions/cautions??

Goofy, you're in Knoxville, which could be on our way (planned other, but all bets are off now--thank goodness I made no reservations!)...is there any place trustworthy in your area to diagnose and treat our electrical problem? Anybody aware of such a place in the vicinity of routes 20 or 40 along the southern US?
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement