UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: ltangel Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 8740  
Subject: generatore hooked up to gas line Date: 11/6/2012 5:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
okay - knothis inot thelace tpost this but i agoing crazy trying find out what is an efficient way to put in a backup generator -- someone sugested to me starlight company - Dad is 91 in 2 weeks and i am 60 and i want to make a wise choice but have no expereience in this ---- okay what would be the best way to do this to reap good dividends (ha,ha - --if there is a better place to post this please let me know -
any help wpu;d be appreciated --many thanks
Print the post Back To Top
Author: ltangel Two stars, 250 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7613 of 8740
Subject: Re: generatore hooked up to gas line Date: 11/6/2012 5:23 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
sorry about the typing --am a bit stressed

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7614 of 8740
Subject: Re: generatore hooked up to gas line Date: 11/6/2012 6:25 PM
... want to make a wise choice but have no expereience in this ---- okay what would be the best way to do this to reap good dividends..

Look here:
The DRiP Investing Resource Center

Information on U.S. Dividend Champions
U.S.Companies with 25+ Straight Years Higher Dividends
Excel Spreadsheet or PDF Format Updated monthly
Maintained by Dave Fish whose articles appear at Seeking Alpha

http://www.dripinvesting.org/Tools/Tools.asp

The site lists stocks that DRIP, but you don't have to DRIP.
Instead just buy the stocks and take the dividends.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7616 of 8740
Subject: Re: generatore hooked up to gas line Date: 11/7/2012 1:57 PM
Recommendations: 1
Building and Maintaining a Home discussion board is probably the best place to get responses to your question about backup generators.

http://boards.fool.com/i-have-power-30364316.aspx

Todays Wall Street Journal has article reporting that Generac of Whitewater, WI, is the leading producer of the large permanent generators used by homeowners. Competitors include Kohler and Briggs & Stratton. (I think we know Caterpillar is a major producer of the large diesel powered ones pulled on trailers or used by businesses for computer backup or emergency power).

Article says generators can be natural gas or propane fueled. Typical installed cost is $5-8K, and requires electrical contractor and multiple permits to meet codes. They work with local distributors probably listed in your yellow pages.

Author: pauleckler Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7617 of 8740
Subject: Re: generatore hooked up to gas line Date: 11/7/2012 2:17 PM
Kohler Power is not to be confused with Kohler of plumbing supplies fame. Apparently they are not related. Here is Kohler Power's website--

http://kohlerpower.com/residential/sectionfront.htm?sectionN...

We recently discussed natural gas fuel cells as a backup power source, but apparently they are in development, not yet commercial.

Author: jkens Three stars, 500 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 7677 of 8740
Subject: Re: generatore hooked up to gas line Date: 11/24/2012 7:14 PM
Recommendations: 3
This response is a bit late, but maybe you will see it.
To start I think you should Google generators in the area in which you live and get familiar with the different types, sizes and prices to see what meets your needs.

The call a couple of companies in your area that sell and install these and ask them any questions you might have.

FWIW, I have a large generator tied into the electrical system so that it will know when the power goes out. It comes on automatically whenever the power goes out. It keeps on all the lights, fridges, oven and 2 4 ton AC/heat units, enough for a 3500 SF building.
It is powered by propane, have a 200 gallon tank. That size tank will run the generator for 1-2 months (depending how much its used) if power were to stay out that long.

Its total cost including install was about $20k, however that was over 10 years ago.
I have never regretted having it.

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement