Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 6
GeneWilliamson wrote:
We are, unfortunately, headed toward a system like Britain's, where the rich will be given proper education in one venue while the poor are left to fend for themselves in another venue.

As opposed to everyone being left to fend for themselves in a venue where the job simply isn't being done?

If the public schools were doing their job, how many of the approximately 75% of homeschoolers who do so for educational, not religious, reasons would still be in public schools? My guess -- yes, it's just a guess -- would be that an overwhelming majority would still be in public schools.

On the other hand, when you read the NEA's "platform" -- which sounds like a How-To list for bringing down a civilization, rather than educating it, not to mention being affirmatively punitive against homeschooling families -- it is small wonder that increasing numbers of parents want nothing to do with the NEA, its teachers, or their schools. Any teacher or administrator who wants to whine about how homeschooling is a threat to public schools need only take a long, hard look in the mirror and across the faculty lounge to see the reason. Yes, I realize that there are exceptional teachers and teachers who want no part of the NEA or anything similar, but they are being swept down the sewer along with the students.

Students are leaving public schools for a reason. Rather than blame the parents, it certainly seems like that effort would be better utilized in finding and correcting the problems which are causing the parents to pull their kids out of the public schools. Blaming Japan didn't make GM's cars any better and blaming the parents won't make the schools any better.

If teachers want to stop parents from pulling their children out of the public schools, they might want to start providing the atmosphere and education those parents want, not what they themselves want to foist on everyone. Oh the other hand, if they want to stick with their smug "I am the expert, I know best" attitude, they may get a chance to homeschool their own children, because a lot of them will no longer be needed.

Whew... that started with the intent of being a one sentence post. Oh well.

--Mark
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement