UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: vickifool Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 61945  
Subject: Germany Date: 6/30/2012 5:07 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 3
Catching up with the board, I enjoyed the "what I'm doing with my retirement" posts best. So here's mine.

I've reached the point of travelling around to visit my far-flung kids.

Red, my youngest, got an internship at the Max Plank Institute in Germany. So we had to go check up on her, and half of Germany while we were there.

Some quick take-aways from our trip:

1. Helena, Constantine's mother, was quite an influential woman. Why did I never hear of her before? She's responsible for Europe being Christian, as near as I can tell. She went to Jerusalem and brought back ALL the relics. Jesus' robe. Jesus' loincloth. Mary's robe. The cloth used to catch John the Baptist's head. The bones and crowns of the Three Magi (Why would they be buried in Jerusalem? So Helena could buy them and bring them to Germany.) etc.

She distributed these to various Doms (aka Cathedrals) for piligrimage purposes.

2. The Germans were as good at bringing back treasures from other countries as the British. They are better at displaying them. I recommend you visit the Pergamon museum in Berlin. There are entire buildings inside.

3. German beer is fun. I don't much like beer, but German beer is not as alcoholic and tastes ok to me. Each towm has its own beer. Each beer has its own decorated glass and coaster. We collected some for my beer-making brother.

4. I like German food. I'm going to have to look harder for local German restaurants. My favorite dish was Hamburg's Labskaus--it reminded me of corned beef and cabbage, but it seemed to involve fish and beets as well. We were there in Spargel (white asparagus) season, and all the restaurants had a special menu for that.

5. For her 21st birthday, we took her out to dinner and Red chose to drink Alsterwasser, a mixture of beer and lemon soda. I had believed Shandy (the English version) to be a joke.

Vickifool
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post Back To Top
Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43833 of 61945
Subject: Re: Germany Date: 6/30/2012 9:22 PM
Recommendations: 0
The mothers of America have killed off more developing human beings by abortion than Hitler killed off Jews. It's hardly surprising that some small efforts would be made to mitigate this holocaust.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: BlueGrits Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43839 of 61945
Subject: Re: Germany Date: 7/1/2012 12:17 AM
I don't know what's worse -- someone have to do a back alley abortion or someone who has so little worthwhile to do in their life other than to watch said abortions, tally the numbers, and report them on the internet.

BG

Author: Maraith Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43865 of 61945
Subject: Re: Germany Date: 7/2/2012 12:49 AM
Recommendations: 1
I'm always amazed by the hypocrisy of those who decry abortion and never ever consider the pain of the mothers. And they give money to anti-choice causes and never ever give money to those who would keep a child if they had the money to do so.

Disgusting.

Author: SeattlePioneer Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Favorite Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43866 of 61945
Subject: Re: Germany Date: 7/2/2012 1:06 AM
<<I'm always amazed by the hypocrisy of those who decry abortion and never ever consider the pain of the mothers. And they give money to anti-choice causes and never ever give money to those who would keep a child if they had the money to do so.
>>

It's so unfair that those who carry out the holocaust on their unborn children receive less sympathy than the victims.

Seattle Pioneer

Author: sykesix Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 43872 of 61945
Subject: Re: Germany Date: 7/2/2012 1:47 PM
4. I like German food. I'm going to have to look harder for local German restaurants. My favorite dish was Hamburg's Labskaus--it reminded me of corned beef and cabbage, but it seemed to involve fish and beets as well. We were there in Spargel (white asparagus) season, and all the restaurants had a special menu for that.

That's the neat (and surprising to me) thing about Germany, the food is awesome!

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (6) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement