Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

No. of Recommendations: 49
This was posted some time ago on the Celera board. It has some very good links and I thought someone might like the info. Fool on.

First I want to tell you that I am long both CRA and GERN. But panicst8's post gave me the impression that he/she had bought Geron for short term reasons (the supposed collaboration with CRA and the cloning patents). But there are many reasons to hold Geron for the long-term.

Geron's findings could very well revolutionize transplantative medicine as we know it Their stem cell research (stem cells are cells that give rise to other cell types, such as hair or skin cells, when they divide) proliferate indefinitely in culture, which means they could provide an unlimited source of virtually any other type of human cell. Using stem cells, Geron has established five cell lines that are capable of prolonged, undifferentiated proliferation in culture and yet maintain the ability to develop into a variety of specific cell types, including neural, gut, muscle, bone and cartilage cells. Stem cells could be used to treat disease by replacing faulty cells with healthy ones grown from stem cells to offer the hope of lifelong treatment. Many diseases (such as Parkinson's) are caused by cell defects. Similarly, failing hearts and other organs, in theory, could be shored up by injecting healthy cells to replace damaged or diseased cells. So panicst8 was right in that Geron plans on using its stem cell research combined with its cloning technology to grow human anything--from heart muscle to bone marrow and brain tissue--that normally would require a donor.

But equally as promising is the use of this research towards these other potential applications:

*Treating diseases, such as Parkinson's and juvenile onset diabetes mellitus, that are caused by faulty or missing cells. Replacing the faulty cells with healthy ones grown from stem cells offers the hope of lifelong treatment.

*Sprouting nerve cells for use in treating patients with stroke or Alzheimer's disease.

*Repairing damaged spinal cords.

*Growing blood-forming cells for use in people undergoing bone marrow transplantation procedures for cancer.

*Gaining new insight into development. This could help to develop new treatments for infertility and premature pregnancy loss and in the diagnosis and prevention of birth defects.

*Testing of new medications. For example, brain neurons derived from human stem cells might be engineered to develop the characteristics of Alzheimer's disease. Then it would be easier to test drugs for the disease.

*Creation of new gene therapies. Research with human stem cells may lead to the discovery of novel genes that fundamentally control tissue differentiation. These gene products could result in the development of therapeutic drugs and proteins with potential applications in wound healing, stroke, heart attack and spinal cord injury

Geron also has done extensive research on Telomerase that could lead to cancer therapies, but this post is dragging on so I suggest you visit the home page www.geron.com to learn more.

But I will include some recent articles on Geron in case you would like to learn more. I will also include a list of some of Geron's Scientific Advisory Board and Management, which includes some of the most distinguished scientists in the world (including two Nobel Laureates and a Pulizter Prize winner).

Recent Articles

Fortune - Oct. 11, 1999

http://library.northernlight.com/PN19990924070000344.html?cb=13&sc=0#doc

New York Times Magazine - Jan. 30, 2000

http://www.nytimes.com/library/magazine/home/20000130mag-hall6.html

Acadamic Press - Jan. 25, 2000

http://www.academicpress.com/inscight/01252000/grapha.htm

Geron's Scientific Advisory Board

1) James Watson PhD: President of Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory. Co-Discoverer of the double Helix. Nobel Prize Winner. Former head of the N.I.H. Human Genome Project. 2) Elizabeth Blackburn PhD: Professor and Chairman of Department of Microbiology and Immunology at UCSF. Elected member of the National Acadamy of Sciences. 3) Gunter Bloebel M.D. PhD: Investigator at Howard Hughes Medical Institute, Rockefeller University. Recipient of the Nobel Prize for physiology and medicine for 1999. 1993 Recipient of the Lasker Award. Past President of the American Society of Cell Biology 4) David Bostein PhD: Professor and Chairman of Dept.of Genetics at Stanford University School of Medicine. 5)Robert Butler M.D: Founding Directer of the National Institute on Aging at N.I.H. Editor in Chief of the journal Geriatrics. Pulitzer Prize Winner. 6) John Gearhart M.D: Professor of Gynocology and Oncology at John Hopkins University School of Medicine. Director of Division of Genetics. 7) Leonard Hayflick PhD: Professor of Anatomy at UCSF. Discoverer of the "Hayflick Limit"-(named after him)

Geron's Senior Management

1) David Earp PhD JD: Previously a partner in the intellectual property firm of Klarquist Sparkman Campbell Leigh and Whinston LLP. Holds a B.S.,(first in his class) ,from the University of Leeds in England. PhD in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology from Cambridge University in England. JD degree (Magna ### Laude)from Northwestern School of Law. 2) David Greenwood MBA: His MBA is from Harvard University. Previously worked at J.P. Morgan & Co. Inc. 3) Jane Leblowski PhD: Graduated Phi Beta Kappa with a B.S.in Chemistry and Biology from Syracuse University. PhD. from Princeton University. 4) Thomas Okarma PhD. M.D. (Geron's president and CEO) Recieved both his M.D. and PhD. from Stanford University. Previously on faculty at Stanford.

This has been a reply to panicst8's February 8th Post:

I've read that Geron Corporation (GERN) and Celera are negotiating a major joint-venture. Mike Murphy, who writes a biotech newletter, apparently published this in his latest report. He may be full of it, but his fund did 158% last year, not bad. If there is a venture, Geron will be in for quite a ride. The company's market cap is just $500 million, compared to Celera's of $6.5 billion. I know that Celera's price is based on its potential, but check out Gerons potential. They are the ones that cloned Dolly the Sheep. They're planning to clone human organs and human tissue. What a market that would be! They already patented this technology in the UK. The stock jumped over 100% on the news of the patent and the price has remained pretty stable. They're awaiting a patent in the US and when they get that, I'm expecting another nice jump. Just check out Geron's charts lately. Also check out there website www.geron.com. Here's an excerpt from Murphy's letter:

Geron (NASDAQ: GERN) is on a tear; don't sell yet! The PBS Scientific American Frontiers special "Never Say Die," which airs this week, is the reason most people think the stock is running up. That's nice, but the real reason for the rally has not yet been announced: GERN is in negotiations with Celera Genomics (NASDAQ: CRA) for a major joint venture. Celera is a red-hot stock on the Motley Fool message boards. When the Fools figure this Celera story out, GERN should shoot the moon.
Print the post  

Announcements

What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement