Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 0
Get a hold on yourself. If you need the $200 before next year when you file your tax return just change your withholding now to increase your take home pay by that amount.

I think you missed my whole point. I don't need the money at all - to the contrary, since I always owe estimated tax, I don't even claim one exemption on my withholding.

I was merely pointing out that after years of accepting my filing status, it's odd that the one year it matters, they inexplicably changed it, and that this apparently happened to a huge number of taxpayers. And I can just see ME telling the IRS that *I* made a mistake and owe them an extra $200, but they'll just have to wait until next April when I file my next return to get it, and that I refuse to pay any interest or penalities, and if they don't like it, tough.

One of the things that used to frustrate me when I had my tax practice was how the IRS is never held accountable to the same standards it requires of taxpayers.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.