Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif
No. of Recommendations: 1
Get turbo tax or hire a pro. Trying to do a passive investment K-1 by hand is insanity.

I could do it - and I suppose most professionals could as well. But it's kind of like asking a doctor to perform surgery in your back yard with a table knife and a spoon.

But if you're bound and determined to do this, you'll at least need to start in the right place. Start by getting the "code book" for a partnership K-1. The partnership should have given you one, but if not, here you go. It's page two of this PDF: . For the most part, it tells you what each code means and where to report it on your tax return.

From your description, I think you're starting in the wrong place. The first entry from a K-1 goes on Form 8582 - for both gains and losses. Start with the worksheets on pages 2 and 3 of the 8582, and use those to complete page 1 of the 8582.

If you have some allowable passive losses or any passive gains, those amount will then make their way to Schedule E, page 2, and then on to your 1040.

Print the post  


In accordance with IRS Circular 230, you cannot use the contents of any post on The Motley Fool's message boards to avoid tax-related penalties under the Internal Revenue Code or applicable state or local tax law provisions.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.