UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 884995  
Subject: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/23/2012 12:03 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 0
The final countdown: Apple set to reveal iPad mini within hours as experts predict it could sell 5 MILLION by Christmas

Gadget believed to have a 7.85inch screen - compared to the 9.7in on the most up-to-date version of the full-size iPad

1 in every 6000 UK internet searches were for the iPad mini last week

Controversial new 'lightning' connector also expected to be used

Estimates claim Apple has already ordered 10 million iPad minis from suppliers

iPad Mini, Microsoft Surface and Kindle Fire all set to go on sale this month

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2221448/iPad-...
Print the post Back To Top
Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868384 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/23/2012 12:12 PM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 6
Dave: I like your enthusiasm, but can you put OT on these kind of posts? There's a lot you post that is interesting but not on topic.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868385 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/23/2012 12:33 PM
Recommendations: 1
Dave: I like your enthusiasm, but can you put OT on these kind of posts? There's a lot you post that is interesting but not on topic.

Oops! You're right, I should have put "OT" in the subject line.

Desert (The world's greatest excuse pales in the face of mediocre performance.) Dave

Author: Windowseat Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868387 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/23/2012 1:59 PM
Recommendations: 3
There's a lot you post that is interesting but not on topic.

There are topics?

Nancy

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868388 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/23/2012 3:01 PM
Starts at $329. Are they serious?

Author: alstroemeria Big gold star, 5000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868389 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/23/2012 3:17 PM
Gingk, Dave said: iPad Mini, Microsoft Surface and Kindle Fire all set to go on sale this month, which sounds on-topic to me. I'm thinking of getting my husband an iPad or Kindle so this is LBYM nooz I can uuz.

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868391 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/23/2012 3:30 PM
Recommendations: 5

About a thousand times more computational power than it took to get to the moon, at about a millionth of the cost. Sounds like a good deal.

xtn

Author: Lea77 Big red star, 1000 posts Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868392 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/23/2012 3:51 PM
There was an SNL joke many years ago about the 'ipad mini' coming out and it was basically an iphone. Now that it's actually coming out that's all I can think of.

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868394 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/23/2012 4:32 PM
There was an SNL joke many years ago about the 'ipad mini' coming out ...

Wasn't there also a SNL skit in which one player claimed to have a mini iPad that was so small he "held" it by pinching his fingers together ?

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868397 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/23/2012 6:02 PM
Fair enough...it's not totally OT!

Saw a presentation on it today. Looks pretty cool, but I'm still to cheap to get one.

Author: Gingko100 Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868407 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/24/2012 6:54 AM
and clearly too cheap to spend an extra "o" on the word "too"

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868416 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/24/2012 4:11 PM

Why not? Yes, it's more expensive than the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7, but it's also physically smaller, while have a screen that shows 67% more of a web page than those other tablets.

It also has front & rear-facing cameras (which they lack).

Also, look at this comparison of iPad apps versus the same apps on Android: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kT_KxIZZJI

Author: llamalluv Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868419 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/24/2012 6:08 PM
I heard about the iPad mini and was imagining it would be more like an iPod touch, but with iPad capabilities (like Siri). I guess it's an in between size.

Author: Wessex99 Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868421 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/24/2012 7:38 PM
270,000 apps -- I'm just overwhelmed by that magnitude! Of course, there are virtually none that I would want (same for Android).

Wessex

Author: ramsfanray Big funky green star, 20000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868424 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/24/2012 10:11 PM
Why not?

Because the people who bought a Kindle, Nexus, or Nook did so knowing that they weren't getting all the bells and whistles of an iPad. They decided that they didn't need those and it's unlikely they will be swayed to buy the mini for those things now. Not at that price.

Oh they'll get a lot sales, I might even get one myself next spring, but I think the majority of those sales are going to be from already established Apple customers.

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868425 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 10/24/2012 10:25 PM
I'd be looking at it as a replacement for an elderly iBook, for travel, photo backup storage... Shared with DW, but to get GPS the cellular able one is needed... A lot simpler travel companion than a laptop...

weco

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868527 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 11/1/2012 4:16 PM
I'd be looking at it as a replacement for an elderly iBook, for travel, photo backup storage... Shared with DW, but to get GPS the cellular able one is needed... A lot simpler travel companion than a laptop...

I've tried a pretty good convertible laptop, and found I just don't use it much (for traveling). I found it most useful for using MS OneNote while in meetings. I've tried a couple different tablets and found the same thing. And while the portability was better, they lacked OneNote. The only real use I found for the tablets was off-site presentations. Won't actually do anything my phone won't do, but to present to a small group of people the bigger tablet form is better. And for the rare occasion that use scenario pops up, it just isn't worth carrying around all the time. Until the technology comes far enough along that I can easily do all my 3D CAD work on the go, I'm going to stick to a real workstation at my desk and my phone for everything away from my desk. Heck, on my phone I can even pull up my desktop screen and work remotely that way. It's horribly unsatisfactory in practice, but at least I can look at a CAD model or send drawings to the printer or whatever, as long as I've got any half decent 3G signal wherever I am.

Maybe MS Surface... not the one that just came out with Win8RT, but the one that's supposed to come out with Win8Pro... will change my habits. Could run OneNote and at least viewers and mark-up/review programs for CAD models. That might be just enough to get my interest back up. Depends how good its guts are. If they're typically "tablety" I guess I'll just have to keep waiting. Wonder how many years until they can duplicate my workstation functionality in a sleek tablet form.

xtn

Author: karenlj Big red star, 1000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868529 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 11/1/2012 5:54 PM
Maybe MS Surface... not the one that just came out with Win8RT, but the one that's supposed to come out with Win8Pro... will change my habits. Could run OneNote and at least viewers and mark-up/review programs for CAD models. That might be just enough to get my interest back up. Depends how good its guts are. If they're typically "tablety" I guess I'll just have to keep waiting. Wonder how many years until they can duplicate my workstation functionality in a sleek tablet form.

xtn

Take a look at the HP Envy x2--it's both a laptop and a tablet: http://www8.hp.com/us/en/ad/new-pcs/multitouch.html

Karen

Author: PolymerMom Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868533 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 11/1/2012 10:40 PM
We are looking at serious traveling next year. There is no way I'm going to lug the Dell D830 around. I thought about the Google Nexus 7, but I need to be able to download digital pix. I already have a Kindle, so using a 7" tablet would be redundant. But it can't help in backing up digital photos.

So, I'm looking at the Series 3 Chromebook. The price is decent ($250) and capabilities are OK for e-mail, browsing, etc. Since it's an Android machine, the Android apps will run in the Chrome browser. It weighs in at under 2.5# and has an USB 2.0 and an 3.0 ports, plus an SD card reader. Seems to cover the bases, especially since I can use Earthlink e-mail to keep up w/ e-mail.

http://www.slashgear.com/samsung-series-3-chromebook-late-20...

Has anyone tried this device "in the field"?

Many thanks!
PM

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868537 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 11/2/2012 12:11 PM
Of course, there are virtually none that I would want (same for Android).

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that you do use a web browser, and maybe even email.

Perhaps you occasionally even consult a map?

Author: stevenjklein Big funky green star, 20000 posts Feste Award Nominee! Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868538 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 11/2/2012 12:19 PM
the Series 3 Chromebook… Since it's an Android machine, the Android apps will run in the Chrome browser

Wrong on both counts. It's not an Android machine, and it doesn't run Android apps.

Source: http://www.businessinsider.com/google-chromebook-review-2012...
Excerpt:
If only the Chromebook would run Android apps, then we might have a real winner.

Author: wecoguy Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868540 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 11/2/2012 3:15 PM
My meeting days are long gone, retired a decade ago now... At that point I tossed every bit/byte of Windows/PC world either back into the corporateIT bin, or the rest into our blue recycle bin or commercial shredders as there was too much proprietary material there to just push out the door.. So a year later, DW also retired, we hung onto her machine, it's actually still under a utility table in my office, just in case any file or such couldn't be opened on her sparkly 27" iMac... I keep a couple older G4 Macs around for the same reason, in case I recall some file that needs to be brought forward that wasn't initially... Reality is, I haven't fired up DW's Vaio in at least 8 year, nor my old Mac in 4 or 5... I did fire it up to check for OS updates, but then it's back to OFF...

So an iPad/Mini/Maxi is really only for storage or travel email access, nothing I need to do graphically that won't wait until we return home... Our iPhones were all we realy used on a recent Russian trip, but I drug the G4 iBook along, all 10 pounds of it, but never needed it other than backup.. IF I'd had an iPad, it would have been useful, several passengers did have, use their's along the way.. Good to see it... (As a shareholder) I helped a couple passengers resolve connection via wifi issues, but most folks had it already figured out... So there's one or two in our future.. Maybe Xmas will be the excuse to splurge...

weco

Author: xtn Big gold star, 5000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868541 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 11/2/2012 3:18 PM
Take a look at the HP Envy x2--it's both a laptop and a tablet

Karen, I appreciate the thought, but that won't do it. Not enough guts inside. I'm guessing the Surface will probably have the same problem. I'm going to have to wait a few years I suspect.

xtn

Author: desertdaveataol Big funky green star, 20000 posts Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: 868542 of 884995
Subject: Re: Get your mini iPad on Date: 11/2/2012 8:36 PM
Some of the longest lines in NY are still for the new mini iPad

Even a Superstorm can't stop us getting a new mini iPad!

Hundreds queue for new Apple release in ravaged city

New gadget costs $329 and New Yorkers rushed to Fifth Avenue flagship store to queue

Reports claim staff outnumbered customers in Hong Kong store

Apple also rolled out its fourth-generation iPad today

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2227032/Even-superst...

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (24) | Ignore Thread Prev Thread | Next Thread
Advertisement