No. of Recommendations: 0
gettego asks,

Part of the income I receive now, and after retirement is/will be from the rent I get from a commercial building I own.
After retirement I plan to move from my present state, where the building is located, and has a state income tax; to Texas, that doesn't. I have been advised that I will have to pay state income tax on this rental income to my formal state.
While I'm unsure how my formal state would ever know about this rental income, prison isn't one of the joys that I would look forward to in retirement.
Have I been ill-advised, or are there other options?

If you are reporting the rental income on your Federal tax return, the state tax authority may get wind of it. I believe state and Federal authorities share information to catch tax evaders.

Print the post  


The Retire Early Home Page
Discussion on accelerating retirement day.
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and Glassdoor #1 Company to Work For 2015! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.