Message Font: Serif | Sans-Serif

UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next
Author: RosemarysBaby Big gold star, 5000 posts Top Recommended Fools Old School Fool Add to my Favorite Fools Ignore this person (you won't see their posts anymore) Number: of 798  
Subject: Getting Back Into It Date: 4/16/2005 12:31 AM
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Recommendations: 1
I had started researching my genealogy a few years ago, but quit in a fit of depression because I don't have any kids and was kind of like "What's the point? Who's going to care after me?"

But the bug has bitten me again, and I'm getting back into it. I have found SO MUCH interesting information on my family, and I use the Family Tree software, which I am very happy with... but I'm not really sure I'm doing this RIGHT.

I mean, I have names and dates and stuff, but I want to know the best ways of 1) keeping up with the physical documentation (I don't want to scan it, and I'm not sure how to arrange it physically) and 2) what sorts of details I should be keeping up with (basically right now it's everything), and... I just would love some tips from all of you seasoned detectives on just arranging things and keeping up with stuff. I do well with finding things... but keeping up with it is a different story.

What things do you try to get, too? Birth and death records, significant events... do you keep up with the locations of everyone's graves? How about peripheral events in history? That's been interesting to me, since some of my ancestors were quite interesting with their own place in history, and some were involved in some historic events.

Also, I'm interested in hearing about any trips you've taken to visit homesites, graves, etc.

Anyone meet any relatives that you've kept up with?

Tell all, please!

RMB
Post New | Post Reply | Reply Later | Create Poll . Report this Post | Recommend it!
Print the post  
UnThreaded | Threaded | Whole Thread (5) | Ignore Thread Prev | Next

Announcements

Post of the Day:
Apple

Apple and Ninety Years Ago
What was Your Dumbest Investment?
Share it with us -- and learn from others' stories of flubs.
When Life Gives You Lemons
We all have had hardships and made poor decisions. The important thing is how we respond and grow. Read the story of a Fool who started from nothing, and looks to gain everything.
Community Home
Speak Your Mind, Start Your Blog, Rate Your Stocks

Community Team Fools - who are those TMF's?
Contact Us
Contact Customer Service and other Fool departments here.
Work for Fools?
Winner of the Washingtonian great places to work, and "#1 Media Company to Work For" (BusinessInsider 2011)! Have access to all of TMF's online and email products for FREE, and be paid for your contributions to TMF! Click the link and start your Fool career.
Advertisement